Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Samuel L. Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- His character from _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv), Jules Winnfield, ranked second in the 'coolest movie characters of all time', in a poll by the UK's Empire Magazine (the winner was Tyler Durden of _Fight Club (1999)_ (qv)).
- Has publicly stated that he is opposed to rappers getting lead roles in movies because they are unproven actors. However, he has co-starred with rappers such as 50 Cent (Home of The Brave), LL Cool J (S.W.A.T. & Deep Blue Sea), Ice Cube & Xzibit (XXX: State of The Union) and Busta Rhymes (Shaft), as well as R&B singers John Legend (Soul Men) and Ashanti (Coach Carter).
- Briefly suspended in 1969 from Morehouse College after taking hostage several members of the board of trustees, including the father of the Rev. Dr. 'Martin Luther King' (qv), during a protest of the failure of the university to have black trustees or a black studies program.
- He is an Anglophile, being fond of English culture and England in general.
- (October 1997) Ranked #44 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- One of the late bloomers of Hollywood, he was already 46 years old when _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) premiered and has acted in an average of 3-4 films a year since.
- During filming of _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv), grew close with co-star 'Christina Ricci' (qv). The two remain good friends to this day.
- Before super-stardom, he played a very minor role in _Goodfellas (1990)_ (qv), starring 'Robert De Niro' (qv). After super-stardom, he co-starred in _Jackie Brown (1997)_ (qv), this time with 'Robert De Niro' (qv) playing a supporting role.