Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Samuel L. Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- One of Jackson's jobs as a struggling actor in New York was as a doorman at the popular Manhattan Plaza subsidized apts, home to hundreds of actors and artists, including 'Giancarlo Esposito' (qv), who co-starred with Jackson in _Amos & Andrew (1993)_ (qv).
- In real life was once a NY highrise doorman, in "1408" (2007) was a NY highrise manager.
- In 2003, he spoke out against rappers turned actors, saying that as a classically trained thespian it was not his job to lend credibility to rappers by appearing in movies with them. But in reality, he has worked with more rappers than most actors in Hollywood, eleven times as of this writing: _Juice (1992)_ (qv) ('Tupac Shakur' (qv) and 'Queen Latifah' (qv)), _Menace II Society (1993)_ (qv) ('MC Eiht' (qv)), _One Eight Seven (1997)_ (qv)('Method Man (I)' (qv)), _Deep Blue Sea (1999)_ (qv) ('LL Cool J' (qv)), _Shaft (2000)_ (qv) ('Busta Rhymes' (qv)), _S.W.A.T. (2003)_ (qv) ('Eve (II)' (qv) and 'LL Cool J' (qv)), _xXx: State of the Union (2005)_ (qv) ('Ice Cube' (qv) and 'Xzibit' (qv)), _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv) ('David Banner (I)' (qv)) and _Home of the Brave (2006)_ (qv) ('50 Cent' (qv)).
- The commencement speaker at his daughter's graduation from Vassar College (May 2004).
- One of the late bloomers of Hollywood, he was already 46 years old when _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) premiered and has acted in an average of 3-4 films a year since.
- Hosted the _1998 MTV Movie Awards (1998) (TV)_ (qv).
- Accomplished at playing brass instruments (french horn, trumpet) in school symphony orchestras from grade 3 to grade 12.
- Has the rare distinction of having played characters that have been eaten by both a shark and a dinosaur.