Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- During filming of _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv), grew close with co-star 'Christina Ricci' (qv). The two remain good friends to this day.
- Has the rare distinction of having played characters that have been eaten by both a shark and a dinosaur.
- Gave his consent for Marvel Comics to design their "Ultimate" version of the character Nick Fury after his likeness. He later went on to play Nick Fury in _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv).
- Made Forbes Celebrity 100 list in 2002 and 2003 with earnings of $34 million and $30 million respectively.
- In 2003, he spoke out against rappers turned actors, saying that as a classically trained thespian it was not his job to lend credibility to rappers by appearing in movies with them. But in reality, he has worked with more rappers than most actors in Hollywood, eleven times as of this writing: _Juice (1992)_ (qv) ('Tupac Shakur' (qv) and 'Queen Latifah' (qv)), _Menace II Society (1993)_ (qv) ('MC Eiht' (qv)), _One Eight Seven (1997)_ (qv)('Method Man (I)' (qv)), _Deep Blue Sea (1999)_ (qv) ('LL Cool J' (qv)), _Shaft (2000)_ (qv) ('Busta Rhymes' (qv)), _S.W.A.T. (2003)_ (qv) ('Eve (II)' (qv) and 'LL Cool J' (qv)), _xXx: State of the Union (2005)_ (qv) ('Ice Cube' (qv) and 'Xzibit' (qv)), _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv) ('David Banner (I)' (qv)) and _Home of the Brave (2006)_ (qv) ('50 Cent' (qv)).
- Grew up in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Like 'Christopher Walken' (qv), he makes films for the pleasure he gets out of acting, regardless of how the film turns out.
- (October 1997) Ranked #44 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.