Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
6' 2 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Ad Narrator (Voiced)
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman (I)). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee - Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- Was offered his role in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) after mentioning in an interview on UK TV show _"TFI Friday" (1996)_ (qv) that he'd really like to work with 'George Lucas (I)' (qv).
- Member of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 2006.
- Daughter - 'Zoč Jackson' (qv) (b. 1982).
- His performance as "Jules Winnfield" in _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) is ranked #44 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
- Was member of the dramatic jury at the Sundance Film Festival in 1995.
- Like 'Christopher Walken' (qv), he makes films for the pleasure he gets out of acting, regardless of how the film turns out.
- Has publicly stated that he is opposed to rappers getting lead roles in movies because they are unproven actors. However, he has co-starred with rappers such as 50 Cent (Home of The Brave), LL Cool J (S.W.A.T. & Deep Blue Sea), Ice Cube & Xzibit (XXX: State of The Union) and Busta Rhymes (Shaft), as well as R&B singers John Legend (Soul Men) and Ashanti (Coach Carter).
- One of Jackson's jobs as a struggling actor in New York was as a doorman at the popular Manhattan Plaza subsidized apts, home to hundreds of actors and artists, including 'Giancarlo Esposito' (qv), who co-starred with Jackson in _Amos & Andrew (1993)_ (qv).