Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Samuel L. Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- Was an admitted drug user until he completed drug rehab two weeks before playing a drug addict in _Jungle Fever (1991)_ (qv).
- The commencement speaker at his daughter's graduation from Vassar College (May 2004).
- He participated in Model United Nations during his years in school.
- Daughter - 'Zoè Jackson' (qv) (b. 1982).
- One of the late bloomers of Hollywood, he was already 46 years old when _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) premiered and has acted in an average of 3-4 films a year since.
- His characters often feature the color purple: Mitch Hennessy wore a purple-violet gem ring in "The Long Kiss Goodnight" (1996), Mr. Glass wore purple clothing in _Unbreakable (2000)_ (qv); Jackson chose to have Doyle Gipson wear a purple hat in _Changing Lanes (2002)_ (qv); Mace Windu, upon request by Jackson to 'George Lucas (I)' (qv), wielded a purple light saber in _Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)_ (qv) and _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv); and Lazarus, his character in _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv), plays a purple Gibson guitar.
- Was offered his role in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv) after mentioning in an interview on UK TV show _"TFI Friday" (1996)_ (qv) that he'd really like to work with 'George Lucas (I)' (qv).
- While visiting Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2003, he stayed at the world-famous Copacabana Palace Hotel.