Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
6' 2 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Ad Narrator (Voiced)
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman (I)). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee - Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- Says that people who recognize him often mistake him for Laurence Fishburne and vice versa.
- The commencement speaker at his daughter's graduation from Vassar College (May 2004).
- His "Pulp Fiction" diner scene with Travolta, was re-enacted by Dark Horse Comics' mid 2000 issue of "Star Wars Tales". In it, (with modifications) his Mace Windu character talks about the Jedi Academy and current Senate politics with Master Yoda, during a meal on Coruscant.
- Grew up in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Has the rare distinction of having played characters that have been eaten by both a shark and a dinosaur.
- His performance as "Jules Winnfield" in _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) is ranked #41 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- His characters often feature the color purple: Mitch Hennessy wore a purple-violet gem ring in "The Long Kiss Goodnight" (1996), Mr. Glass wore purple clothing in _Unbreakable (2000)_ (qv); Jackson chose to have Doyle Gipson wear a purple hat in _Changing Lanes (2002)_ (qv); Mace Windu, upon request by Jackson to 'George Lucas (I)' (qv), wielded a purple light saber in _Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)_ (qv) and _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv); and Lazarus, his character in _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv), plays a purple Gibson guitar.
- (October 1997) Ranked #44 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.