Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
6' 2 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Ad Narrator (Voiced)
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman (I)). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee - Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- Says that people who recognize him often mistake him for Laurence Fishburne and vice versa.
- In real life was once a NY highrise doorman, in "1408" (2007) was a NY highrise manager.
- Made Forbes Celebrity 100 list in 2002 and 2003 with earnings of $34 million and $30 million respectively.
- Hosted the _1998 MTV Movie Awards (1998) (TV)_ (qv).
- While visiting Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2003, he stayed at the world-famous Copacabana Palace Hotel.
- Accomplished at playing brass instruments (french horn, trumpet) in school symphony orchestras from grade 3 to grade 12.
- To date (2006), his films have grossed more money at the box office than the work of any other actor in cinematic history.
- Worked as a camera stand-in for 'Bill Cosby' (qv) during the filming of _"The Cosby Show" (1984)_ (qv).