Dec. 21st, 1948
Washington, District of Columbia, USA
6' 2 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Ad Narrator (Voiced)
Samuel L. Jackson usually played bad guys and drug addicts before becoming an action hero, as the character Mitch Henessey, in The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) and in Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995). From character player to leading man. His performance in Pulp Fiction (1994) gave him an Oscar nomination for his character Jules Winnfield. He was active in the black student movement. In the seventies he joined the Negro Ensemble Company (together with Morgan Freeman (I)). In the eighties he became well known by three movies made by Spike Lee - Do the Right Thing (1989), Mo' Better Blues (1990) and Jungle Fever (1991). He received a Silver Berlin Bear for his part in the movie Jackie Brown (1997) as Ordell Robbi.
- Was an usher at Dr. 'Martin Luther King' (qv) Jr.'s funeral.
- Accomplished at playing brass instruments (french horn, trumpet) in school symphony orchestras from grade 3 to grade 12.
- His character from _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv), Jules Winnfield, ranked second in the 'coolest movie characters of all time', in a poll by the UK's Empire Magazine (the winner was Tyler Durden of _Fight Club (1999)_ (qv)).
- While visiting Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2003, he stayed at the world-famous Copacabana Palace Hotel.
- One of the late bloomers of Hollywood, he was already 46 years old when _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) premiered and has acted in an average of 3-4 films a year since.
- One of Jackson's jobs as a struggling actor in New York was as a doorman at the popular Manhattan Plaza subsidized apts, home to hundreds of actors and artists, including 'Giancarlo Esposito' (qv), who co-starred with Jackson in _Amos & Andrew (1993)_ (qv).
- Worked as a camera stand-in for 'Bill Cosby' (qv) during the filming of _"The Cosby Show" (1984)_ (qv).
- During filming of _Black Snake Moan (2006)_ (qv), grew close with co-star 'Christina Ricci' (qv). The two remain good friends to this day.