Sep. 14th, 1947
Omagh, Northern Ireland, UK
Sam Neill's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Nigel John Dermot "Sam" Neill, DCNZM, OBE is a Northern Irish-born New Zealand actor who first achieved leading roles in films such as Omen III: The Final Conflict and Dead Calm and on television in Reilly, Ace of Spies.
- One son, 'Tim Neill' (qv) (b.1983), with 'Lisa Harrow' (qv), a daughter 'Elena Neill' (qv) with 'Noriko Watanabe (I)' (qv), and a step-daughter Maiko.
- Awarded the O.B.E. for Service to Acting (1993).
- "Best Actor on British Television" for _"Reilly: The Ace of Spies" (1983)_, Australian Film Institute Award "Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role" for Evil Angels (aka _Cry in the Dark (1988)_).
- Moved to New Zealand at age 7.
- Met wife 'Noriko Watanabe (I)' (qv) on the set of _Dead Calm (1989)_ (qv), where she worked as a make-up artist.
- Owns a winery, Two Paddocks, in the Central Otago region of New Zealand. It was started in 1993.
- Born to Dermot Neill, a New Zealand army officer, and his English wife Priscilla.
- Montana is a recurring element in his films: in _The Hunt for Red October (1990)_ (qv) he wants to live in Montana; in _The Horse Whisperer (1998)_ (qv) he goes to Montana to find with his wife; in _Jurassic Park (1993)_ (qv) he is digging up fossils in Montana.