Sep. 14th, 1947
Omagh, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland, UK
Sam Neill's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - A Long Way Down
2010 - Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
2009 - Daybreakers
2009 - Under the Mountain
2008 - Dean Spanley
2006 - Irresistible
2005 - Little Fish
2004 - Wimbledon
2002 - Dirty Deeds
2001 - Jurassic Park III
2000 - The Dish
1999 - Bicentennial Man
1998 - The Horse Whisperer
1997 - Event Horizon
1995 - Restoration
1994 - The Jungle Book
1994 - In the Mouth of Madness
1993 - The Piano
1993 - Jurassic Park
1992 - Memoirs of an Invisible Man
1991 - Until the End of the World
1990 - The Hunt for Red October
1989 - La Révolution française
1989 - Dead Calm
1985 - Plenty
1983 - Enigma
1982 - Attack Force Z
1979 - My Brilliant Career
Guest TV Roles
Citytrans World CEO
Dr. Bruce Chandler
Himself - Audience Member
Dr. Alan Grant
Born in Northern Ireland to army parents, his family returned to the South Island of New Zealand in 1954. He went to boarding schools and then attended the universities at Canterbury and Victoria. He has a BA in English Literature. Following his graduation, he worked with the New Zealand Players and other theater groups. He also was a film director, editor and scriptwriter for the New Zealand National Film Unit for 6 years. His first feature film was Sleeping Dogs (1977). He then moved to Australia and his performance in My Brilliant Career (1979) was noticed in London by British actor James Mason (I) who lobbied for Neill to get the lead role in The Final Conflict (1981). Because of this, Neill moved to England where he also became famous as the title character in "Reilly: Ace of Spies" (1983). After his Great Britain stint, he moved back to Australia in the late 1980s. He now makes films all over the world. In 1993, he achieved "commercial and critical success" with Jurassic Park (1993) and The Piano (1993).
- Studied at the University of Canterbury and at the Victoria University in Wellington, from which he graduated with a BA in English Literature.
- "Best Actor on British Television" for _"Reilly: The Ace of Spies" (1983)_, Australian Film Institute Award "Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role" for Evil Angels (aka _Cry in the Dark (1988)_).
- He is a big fan of 'The Beach Boys' (qv).
- Montana is a recurring element in his films: in _The Hunt for Red October (1990)_ (qv) he wants to live in Montana; in _The Horse Whisperer (1998)_ (qv) he goes to Montana to find with his wife; in _Jurassic Park (1993)_ (qv) he is digging up fossils in Montana.
- Awarded the O.B.E. for Service to Acting (1993).
- Met wife 'Noriko Watanabe (I)' (qv) on the set of _Dead Calm (1989)_ (qv), where she worked as a make-up artist.
- His vineyard is in the Gibbston Valley, Otago. His wine is a Pinot Noir called Two Paddocks.
- Was considered for the role of the villainous "Doc Ock" in _Spider-Man 2 (2004)_ (qv). His wife ended up as the principal make-up & hair stylist for 'Kirsten Dunst' (qv) in the movie.