Oct. 13th, 1971
London, England, UK
Sacha Baron Cohen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
British actor and comedian Sacha Baron Cohen was born in Hammersmith, London. He is the son of Daniella (Weiser), a movement instructor, and Gerald Baron Cohen, a clothing store owner. His father, born in Wales and raised in England, is of Eastern European Jewish descent, while his mother was born in Israel, to German Jewish parents. He was educated at a private school, Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School in Hertfordshire, and went on to read History at Christ's College, Cambridge. Baron Cohen had an interest in performing from an early age, forming a breakdancing group as a teenager and acting in amateur plays with a Jewish youth group. While at university he joined the Cambridge University Amateur Dramatic Club, and took part in such plays as "Cyrano de Bergerac" and "Fiddler on the Roof".
Upon leaving University, Baron Cohen briefly worked as a model, before moving on to work as a host on a satellite TV station. In 1995, Channel 4 put out an open call for new presenters, and Baron Cohen sent in a tape featuring himself in character as an Albania TV reporter (an early prototype for Borat). He was hired and worked on various 'youth TV' projects before, in 1998, appearing in The 11 O'Clock Show (1998) which became a cult hit thanks to his character, Ali G. Ali G proved so popular that a spin-off show Da Ali G Show (2000) and film Ali G Indahouse (2002) where produced.
America soon beckoned with a stateside version of Da Ali G Show. Feature film work followed with Baron Cohen providing the voice of Julien in Madagascar (2005) and appearing as Jean Girard alongside Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006). He followed this with the smash-hit Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006), for which he won a Golden Globe and was nominated for a writing Oscar. His other film work includes supporting roles in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) and Hugo (2011), and starring in the title roles of BrÃ¼no (2009), The Dictator (2012), and Grimsby (2016)_.
- One of 105 people invited to join AMPAS in 2008.
- Studied History at Christ's College, Cambridge.
- Brüno the reporter, one of his most famous characters, once interviewed 'Gisele Bündchen' (qv).
- Daughter, Olive Cohen, born 17 October 2007. Mother is fiancée, 'Isla Fisher' (qv).
- (December 2007) He is putting a rest to Ali G and Borat, the anti-Semetic Khazakistanian. He said to British newspaper, Friday, "[...] I was in character sometimes 14 hours a day and I came to love them, so admitting I am never going to play them again is quite a sad thing.".
- He is good friends with professional wrestler 'John Cena' (qv).
- Engaged to Australian actress 'Isla Fisher' (qv).
- For Borat, Sacha takes about 6 weeks to grow body, head, and facial hair. For Ali G., the facial hair takes about 4 weeks to grow. When preparing for Brüno, he shaves all of his hair (including body hair), and works out and cleans his body vigorously.