Nov. 12th, 1980
London, Ontario, Canada
Ryan Gosling's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ryan Gosling (born November 12, 1980), in London, Ontario, to Thomas and Donna Gosling, and was the second of their two children. The Gosling family, who are Mormon, moved to Cornwall, Ontario, where Ryan grew up and was home-schooled by his mother. Gosling attended Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational High School in Cornwall, where he excelled in Drama and Fine Arts. The family then relocated to Burlington, Ontario, where Gosling attended Lester B. Pearson High School in Burlington, Ontario.
Gosling first performed as a singer at talent contests with his older sister Mandi. He attended an open audition in Montreal for the TV series The Mickey Mouse Club (MMC) (1989) in January 1993 and beat out 17,000 other aspiring actors for a a spot on the show. While appearing on MMC for two years, he lived with co-star Justin Timberlake's family. Though he received no formal acting training, after MMC, Gosling segued into an acting career, appearing on the TV series Young Hercules (1998) and Breaker High (1997), as well as the films The Slaughter Rule (2002), Murder by Numbers (2002), and Remember the Titans (2000).
He first attracted serious critical attention with his performance as the Jewish neo-Nazi in the controversial film The Believer (2001), which won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival. He was cast in the part by writer-director 'Henry Bean', who believed that Gosling's strict Mormon upbringing gave him the insight to understand the character Danny, whose obsessiveness with the Judaism he was born into turns to hatred. He was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award as Best Male Lead in 2002 for the role and won the Golden Aries award from the Russian Guild of Film Critics.
After appearing in the sleeper The Notebook (2004) in 2004, Gosling won the dubious honor of being named one of the 50 Hottest Bachelors by People Magazine. More significantly, he was named the Male Star of Tomorrow at the 2004 Show West convention of movie exhibitors. Gosling reached the summit of his profession with his performance in Half Nelson (2006), which garnered him an Academy Award nomination as Best Actor. In a short time, he has established himself as one of the finest actors of his generation.
- With two of his friends, he has opened a Moroccan restaurant called Tagine in Beverly Hills, California.
- Split with 'Rachel McAdams' (qv) again, after reconciling in July [November 5, 2008].
- Took his mother and his sister to the Oscars in 2007.
- Was the first Canadian-born performer in over 60 years to be nominated for the best actor Oscar in _Half Nelson (2006)_ (qv). The last was 'Walter Pidgeon' for _Madame Curie (1943)_ (qv).
- His favourite actor is 'Gary Oldman' (qv).
- Built the kitchen table featured in _The Notebook (2004)_ (qv) in preparation for his role as Noah.
- Traveled to Chad in 2005 to make a documentary on the Darfur refugees living there.
- Dated _Murder by Numbers (2002)_ (qv) co-star 'Sandra Bullock' (qv) (2002-2003).