Jan. 23rd, 1944
Breukelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
Rutger Hauer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Blonde, blue-eyed, tall and handsome Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has an international reputation for playing everything from romantic leads to action heroes to sinister villains. The son of actors, Hauer was born in Breukelen, Holland. Because his parents were often touring, he and his three sisters were raised by a nanny. A bit of a rebel during his childhood, he chafed at the rules and rigors of school and was often getting into mischief. His grandfather had been the captain of a schooner and at age 15, Hauer ran away to work on a freighter for a year. Like his great-grandfather, Hauer is color-blind, which prevented him from furthering his career as a sailor. Upon his return he attended night school and started working in the construction industry. When he again bombed at school, his parents enrolled him in drama classes. Fancying himself a poet, he spent most of his time writing poetry and hanging out in Amsterdam coffee houses instead of studying. He got expelled for poor attendance and afterward spent a brief period in the Dutch navy. Deciding he didn't like military life, he convinced his superiors that he was mentally unfit and was sent to a special home for psych patients. It was an unpleasant place, but Hauer remained there until he convinced his ranking officers that the military really did not need him.
- Speaks fluently German (more or less accent-free)
- Is an environmentalist. Fought for the release of Greenpeace's co-founder, Paul Watson who was convicted in 1994 for sinking an illegal Norwegian whaling vessel. According to The Official Rutger Hauer website, the vessel was sunk in 1992 as a protest to Norway's announced intention to return to the commercial slaughter of whales, which was to be done in violation of the International Whaling Commission's global ban on whaling.
- Both his first and last name end with the letters "er". He has appeared in 13 movies/TV-series whose title or alternative title end with "er" or "ers". He has played 8 characters whose names end with "er".
- Father of 'Ayesha Hauer' (qv)
- According to an interview she gave when _Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)_ (qv) was first published, Rutger Hauer was 'Anne Rice (I)' (qv) 's original vision for Lestat when the book was being written. Despite a popular rumor that 'Julian Sands' (qv) was her first choice, he didn't even begin to show up in films or TV till 1982, so Rice couldn't have been aware of him in 1976 when she was writing the book; Rutger has been acting since 1968. Rice may have said Sands would be great for the part when they were casting the film, because she has said that by the time the film was being made Rutger Hauer was too old to play Lestat.
- Turned down a role in 'Paul Verhoeven (I)' (qv)'s _Zwartboek (2006)_ (qv) (aka Black Book).
- He gives master classes in movie-making to students and new actors and movie makers. This takes places in Rotterdam. He has been doing this for several years.
- Son of 'Arend Hauer' (qv).