Jan. 23rd, 1944
Breukelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
Rutger Hauer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - The Rite
2008 - Bride flight
2007 - 7eventy 5ive
2007 - Goal II: Living the Dream
2007 - Moving McAllister
2005 - Sin City
2005 - Batman Begins
2002 - Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
1997 - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
1997 - Crossworlds
1996 - Omega Doom
1994 - Surviving the Game
1994 - Nostradamus
1992 - Split Second
1992 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
1991 - Wedlock
1989 - Blind Fury
1986 - The Hitcher
1985 - Ladyhawke
1985 - Flesh+Blood
1984 - Terror in the Aisles
1983 - The Osterman Weekend
1982 - Blade Runner
1981 - Nighthawks
1976 - Max Havelaar of de koffieveilingen der Nederlandsche handelsmaatschappij
1975 - Keetje Tippel
1975 - The Wilby Conspiracy
Guest TV Roles
Pieter Van Pearsen
Blonde, blue-eyed, tall and handsome Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has an international reputation for playing everything from romantic leads to action heroes to sinister villains. The son of actors, Hauer was born in Breukelen, Holland. Because his parents were often touring, he and his three sisters were raised by a nanny. A bit of a rebel during his childhood, he chafed at the rules and rigors of school and was often getting into mischief. His grandfather had been the captain of a schooner and at age 15, Hauer ran away to work on a freighter for a year. Like his great-grandfather, Hauer is color-blind, which prevented him from furthering his career as a sailor. Upon his return he attended night school and started working in the construction industry. When he again bombed at school, his parents enrolled him in drama classes. Fancying himself a poet, he spent most of his time writing poetry and hanging out in Amsterdam coffee houses instead of studying. He got expelled for poor attendance and afterward spent a brief period in the Dutch navy. Deciding he didn't like military life, he convinced his superiors that he was mentally unfit and was sent to a special home for psych patients. It was an unpleasant place, but Hauer remained there until he convinced his ranking officers that the military really did not need him.
- Former father-in-law of his _Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)_ (qv) co-star 'Thomas Jane' (qv) .
- Was 'Paul Verhoeven (I)' (qv) 's first choice to play _RoboCop (1987)_ (qv).
- Speaks fluently German (more or less accent-free)
- Grandfather of 'Leandro Maeder' (qv).
- Director 'Richard Donner' (qv) originally wanted to use him as the villain Marquet in _Ladyhawke (1985)_ (qv) (1985) but Hauer turned that role down and expressed more interest in playing the film's hero, Etienne Navarre.
- Parents, Arend and Teunke, operated an acting school in Amsterdam.
- According to an interview she gave when _Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)_ (qv) was first published, Rutger Hauer was 'Anne Rice (I)' (qv) 's original vision for Lestat when the book was being written. Despite a popular rumor that 'Julian Sands' (qv) was her first choice, he didn't even begin to show up in films or TV till 1982, so Rice couldn't have been aware of him in 1976 when she was writing the book; Rutger has been acting since 1968. Rice may have said Sands would be great for the part when they were casting the film, because she has said that by the time the film was being made Rutger Hauer was too old to play Lestat.
- Wife, Ineke, whom he married in 1985, was a painter and sculptor.