Jan. 23rd, 1944
Breukelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
Rutger Hauer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - The Rite
2007 - 7eventy 5ive
2007 - Moving McAllister
2007 - Goal II: Living the Dream
2006 - Minotaur
2005 - Batman Begins
2005 - Sin City
2002 - Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
1996 - Omega Doom
1994 - Nostradamus
1994 - Surviving the Game
1992 - Split Second
1992 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
1991 - Wedlock
1989 - Blind Fury
1987 - Wanted: Dead or Alive
1986 - The Hitcher
1985 - Ladyhawke
1985 - Flesh+Blood
1983 - The Osterman Weekend
1982 - Blade Runner
1981 - Nighthawks
1976 - Max Havelaar of de koffieveilingen der Nederlandsche handelsmaatschappij
1975 - Keetje Tippel
1975 - The Wilby Conspiracy
Guest TV Roles
Pieter Van Pearsen
Blonde, blue-eyed, tall and handsome Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has an international reputation for playing everything from romantic leads to action heroes to sinister villains. The son of actors, Hauer was born in Breukelen, Holland. Because his parents were often touring, he and his three sisters were raised by a nanny. A bit of a rebel during his childhood, he chafed at the rules and rigors of school and was often getting into mischief. His grandfather had been the captain of a schooner and at age 15, Hauer ran away to work on a freighter for a year. Like his great-grandfather, Hauer is color-blind, which prevented him from furthering his career as a sailor. Upon his return he attended night school and started working in the construction industry. When he again bombed at school, his parents enrolled him in drama classes. Fancying himself a poet, he spent most of his time writing poetry and hanging out in Amsterdam coffee houses instead of studying. He got expelled for poor attendance and afterward spent a brief period in the Dutch navy. Deciding he didn't like military life, he convinced his superiors that he was mentally unfit and was sent to a special home for psych patients. It was an unpleasant place, but Hauer remained there until he convinced his ranking officers that the military really did not need him.
- Set up an AIDS research foundation called the Rutger Hauer Starfish Foundation.
- Is color blind.
- Parents, Arend and Teunke, operated an acting school in Amsterdam.
- Once in a Dutch production of "Hair".
- Is an environmentalist. Fought for the release of Greenpeace's co-founder, Paul Watson who was convicted in 1994 for sinking an illegal Norwegian whaling vessel. According to The Official Rutger Hauer website, the vessel was sunk in 1992 as a protest to Norway's announced intention to return to the commercial slaughter of whales, which was to be done in violation of the International Whaling Commission's global ban on whaling.
- Both his first and last name end with the letters "er". He has appeared in 13 movies/TV-series whose title or alternative title end with "er" or "ers". He has played 8 characters whose names end with "er".
- Director 'Richard Donner' (qv) originally wanted to use him as the villain Marquet in _Ladyhawke (1985)_ (qv) (1985) but Hauer turned that role down and expressed more interest in playing the film's hero, Etienne Navarre.
- The Dutch Mail Service issued a stamp in 1995 with Rutger on it, taken from a scene in Turkish Delight.