Jan. 23rd, 1944
Breukelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
Rutger Hauer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Blonde, blue-eyed, tall and handsome Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has an international reputation for playing everything from romantic leads to action heroes to sinister villains. The son of actors, Hauer was born in Breukelen, Holland. Because his parents were often touring, he and his three sisters were raised by a nanny. A bit of a rebel during his childhood, he chafed at the rules and rigors of school and was often getting into mischief. His grandfather had been the captain of a schooner and at age 15, Hauer ran away to work on a freighter for a year. Like his great-grandfather, Hauer is color-blind, which prevented him from furthering his career as a sailor. Upon his return he attended night school and started working in the construction industry. When he again bombed at school, his parents enrolled him in drama classes. Fancying himself a poet, he spent most of his time writing poetry and hanging out in Amsterdam coffee houses instead of studying. He got expelled for poor attendance and afterward spent a brief period in the Dutch navy. Deciding he didn't like military life, he convinced his superiors that he was mentally unfit and was sent to a special home for psych patients. It was an unpleasant place, but Hauer remained there until he convinced his ranking officers that the military really did not need him.
- Speaks fluently German (more or less accent-free)
- Director 'Richard Donner' (qv) originally wanted to use him as the villain Marquet in _Ladyhawke (1985)_ (qv) (1985) but Hauer turned that role down and expressed more interest in playing the film's hero, Etienne Navarre.
- Wife, Ineke, whom he married in 1985, was a painter and sculptor.
- Parents, Arend and Teunke, operated an acting school in Amsterdam.
- Has appeared in two vampire movies with 'Donald Sutherland (I)' (qv) ; _Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)_ (qv) , and _'Salem's Lot (2004) (TV)_ (qv) .
- The Dutch Mail Service issued a stamp in 1995 with Rutger on it, taken from a scene in Turkish Delight.
- Former father-in-law of his _Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)_ (qv) co-star 'Thomas Jane' (qv) .
- Both his first and last name end with the letters "er". He has appeared in 13 movies/TV-series whose title or alternative title end with "er" or "ers". He has played 8 characters whose names end with "er".