Oct. 4th, 1957
Queens, New York, USA
Russell Simmons' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Russell Wendell Simmons (born October 4, 1957) is an American entrepreneur, the co-founder, with Rick Rubin, of the pioneering hip-hop label Def Jam, and creator of the clothing fashion lines Phat Farm, Argyleculture, and American Classics.
Russell Simmons is the younger brother of Daniel Simmons, Jr., and he is the older brother of Rev. Joseph Simmons, better known as "Run" of Run-DMC, and son of Daniel Simmons, Sr, a public school administrator and Evelyn Simmons, a New York City park administrator. His brother Daniel Simmons, Jr., is an accomplished abstract artist.
Russell Simmons is the third richest figure in hip-hop, having a net-worth estimate of $340 million.
- Passed up on signing 'Madonna' (qv) to his Def Jam Recordings in the early 1980s.
- CEO of Rush Communications Inc.
- Brother of 'Daniel J. Simmons' (qv).
- Is a vegan
- Son of 'Daniel Simmons (I)' (qv)
- 'Tyra Banks' (qv) is the godmother of his daughter Ming Lee
- Co-founded Def Jam Recordings with 'Rick Rubin' (qv) in 1984.
- Second daughter, Aoki Lee, was born on August 16, 2002. Her mother is 'Kimora Lee' (qv).