Aug. 24th, 1988
Harlow, Essex, England, UK
Rupert Grint's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Postman Pat: The Movie
2013 - CBGB
2010 - Wild Target
2010 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
2009 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
2009 - Cherrybomb
2007 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2006 - Driving Lessons
2002 - Thunderpants
2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Guest TV Roles
Rupert Alexander Lloyd Grint (born August 24, 1988) is an English actor. He rose to prominence playing Ron Weasley, one of the three main characters in the Harry Potter film series. Grint was cast as Ron Weasley at the age of 11. From 2001 to 2011, he starred in all eight Harry Potter films alongside 'Daniel Radcliffe' and 'Emma Watson'.
Unlike the other children who were auditioning, Grint came in with hip-hop lyrics that promoted Ronald Weasley, the character for which he was auditioning, and was chosen soon afterward. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) was a big hit, as was the follow-up, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002), and he has already filmed the third one, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), he finished filming the fourth movie, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), then it was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (2010), and the last Harry Potter instalment Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011).
Grint was born in Harlow, Essex. His mother, Joanne Grint (née Parsons), is a housewife, and his father, Nigel Grint, is a memorabilia dealer. Grint is the eldest of five siblings. He attended Dorothy Stringer High School in Brighton, a Roman Catholic school. While there, Grint took an avid interest in theatre. He started performing in school productions and joined the Top Hat Stage and Screen School, a local theatre group that cast him as a fish in Noah's Ark and a donkey in another nativity play. He continued performing in school plays as he moved up to Richard Hale School. However, Grint had never acted professionally before the Harry Potter series. At the age of 16, he left school to focus on his acting career. "I didn't really like school that much", the actor later commented.
Beginning in 2002, Grint began to work outside of the Harry Potter franchise, taking on a co-leading role in Thunderpants. He has had starring roles in Driving Lessons, a dramedy released in 2006, and Cherrybomb, a small budgeted drama of limited release in 2010. Grint co-starred with Bill Nighy and Emily Blunt in Wild Target, a comedy. His first project following the end of the Harry Potter series was the 2012 anti-war film, Into the White, in which he stars in the main role.
On July 25, 2012, Grint carried the 2012 London Olympic torch during the Olympic Torch Relay, which is part of 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London. In interviews, Rupert told the BBC News that it was an "overwhelming" experience that he hoped to remember forever, and told The Daily Telegraph "It was amazing, it was really overwhelming. It's just such an honour to be a part of this. I'm really proud."
In 2013, Grint's new film CBGB was released and he has been cast in CBS's new pilot Super Clyde. Grint will be making his stage debut in Jez Butterworth's Mojo in October 2013 at the Harold Pinter Theatre in London.
Grint enjoys his close friendships with his Harry Potter co-stars 'Emma Watson' and 'Daniel Radcliffe', stating that they have a sibling-like relationship, having known each other from an early age. Like his character, he has arachnophobia, a fear of spiders. Grint bought an ice cream van as a way to fulfill a childhood desire from the money he made through acting.
- Radio One's movie critic James King named Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, played by Rupert Grint and Emma Watson, as number 4 in his Top 5 Movie Couples list on Edith Bowman show.
- Loving the Harry Potter series, Rupert Grint found out that there were auditions for the feature film, so he got the part although he had previously only acted in one school play.
- Says he would like to be invisible so he could sneak out of detention at school
- His favorite actor is 'Jim Carrey' (qv). He likes movies like _Shrek (2001)_ (qv), _Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)_ (qv), _How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)_ (qv), and _Dumb & Dumber (1994)_ (qv).
- One of his favorite bands is the Arctic Monkeys.
- He likes all kinds of music, but his favorite is classic rock and roll.
- In an interview in 2001 on Nickelodeon with Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe, he stated his favorite show was Spongebob Squarepants.
- Passed his driving test in the fall of 2006 after two attempts.