Oct. 29th, 1967
Twickenham, Middlesex, England, UK
Rufus Sewell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Rufus Sewell was born on the 29th of October 1967 in Twickenham, England. His father, Bill, was an Australian animator, who died when Rufus was 10. He has one brother, Caspar. He attended London's Central School of Speech and Drama and left in June of 1989 after completing three years of training. He made his London Stage debut in "Making It Better" for which he won the "Best Newcomer Award"; he also originated the role of Septimus Hodge in Tom Stoppards "Arcadia" and was nominated for an Oliver Award. On the Broadway stage, he debuted in "Translations" and received the Broadway Theater World Award. His film work has been has been equally varied and acclaimed from the junkie in Twenty-One (1991), the sweet bus driver in A Man of No Importance (1994), and the volatile artist in Carrington (1995). The lustful son in Cold Comfort Farm (1995) (TV), the protagonist hounded Dostoevsky-like in Dark City (1998), the star-crossed suitor in Dangerous Beauty (1998), to the the bitter, acidic, alcoholic cokehead of Martha, Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence (1998), he has appeared in some of the most acclaimed theatre, film and television productions.
- Grew up in Twickenham.
- His father, Bill Sewell, an animator, employed an impressionistic approach to Rotoscoping - the technique of tracing over film negatives - in his own film "Half in Love with Fred Astaire" and then in the famous "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" sequence in "Yellow Submarine.".
- Has a son named William Douglas Sewell (Billy), born 18 March 2002 with Amy Gardner
- He was awarded the 1992 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama Theatre Award) for Most Promising Newcomer.
- (1998) Involved, along with 'Sherilyn Fenn' (qv), 'Kate Winslet' (qv), 'Miranda Richardson (I)' (qv) and 'Paul McGann (I)' (qv) in the 1998 film project "Johnny Hit and Run Pauline". The film was to be executive produced by 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv), and written and directed by 'Fay Efrosini Lellios' (qv). The shooting was set to start in June 1998 in New Hampshire. The film was canceled due to financial withdrawal.
- Son of a film animator who died young.