Oct. 29th, 1967
Twickenham, Middlesex, England, UK
Rufus Sewell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - I'll Follow You Down
2014 - The Sea
2013 - No Fire Zone: The Killing Fields of Sri Lanka
2012 - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
2008 - Downloading Nancy
2008 - Vinyan
2006 - The Illusionist
2006 - Paris, je t'aime
2006 - Amazing Grace
2006 - The Holiday
2005 - The Legend of Zorro
2002 - Extreme Ops
2001 - A Knight's Tale
1998 - Dangerous Beauty
1998 - Dark City
1996 - Hamlet
1995 - Carrington
Guest TV Roles
Obergruppenführer John Smith
Rufus Sewell was born on the 29th of October 1967 in Twickenham, England. His father, Bill, was an Australian animator, who died when Rufus was 10. He has one brother, Caspar. He attended London's Central School of Speech and Drama and left in June of 1989 after completing three years of training. He made his London Stage debut in "Making It Better" for which he won the "Best Newcomer Award"; he also originated the role of Septimus Hodge in Tom Stoppards "Arcadia" and was nominated for an Oliver Award. On the Broadway stage, he debuted in "Translations" and received the Broadway Theater World Award. His film work has been has been equally varied and acclaimed from the junkie in Twenty-One (1991), the sweet bus driver in A Man of No Importance (1994), and the volatile artist in Carrington (1995). The lustful son in Cold Comfort Farm (1995) (TV), the protagonist hounded Dostoevsky-like in Dark City (1998), the star-crossed suitor in Dangerous Beauty (1998), to the the bitter, acidic, alcoholic cokehead of Martha, Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence (1998), he has appeared in some of the most acclaimed theatre, film and television productions.
- His father, Bill Sewell, an animator, employed an impressionistic approach to Rotoscoping - the technique of tracing over film negatives - in his own film "Half in Love with Fred Astaire" and then in the famous "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" sequence in "Yellow Submarine.".
- Son of a film animator who died young.
- Has a son named William Douglas Sewell (Billy), born 18 March 2002 with Amy Gardner
- He was awarded the 1992 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama Theatre Award) for Most Promising Newcomer.
- (1998) Involved, along with 'Sherilyn Fenn' (qv), 'Kate Winslet' (qv), 'Miranda Richardson (I)' (qv) and 'Paul McGann (I)' (qv) in the 1998 film project "Johnny Hit and Run Pauline". The film was to be executive produced by 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv), and written and directed by 'Fay Efrosini Lellios' (qv). The shooting was set to start in June 1998 in New Hampshire. The film was canceled due to financial withdrawal.
- Grew up in Twickenham.