Oct. 27th, 1924
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Ruby Dee's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - All About Us
2007 - American Gangster
2006 - No. 2
1999 - Baby Geniuses
1997 - A Simple Wish
1995 - Just Cause
1993 - Cop and ½
1991 - Jungle Fever
1990 - Love at Large
1989 - Do the Right Thing
1982 - Cat People
1972 - Buck and the Preacher
1961 - A Raisin In The Sun
1957 - Edge of the City
1951 - The Tall Target
1950 - No Way Out
1950 - The Jackie Robinson Story
Guest TV Roles
Ruby Dee (born October 27, 1922) is an American actress, poet, playwright, screenwriter, journalist, activist, and widow of actor Ossie Davis. She is perhaps best known for co-starring in the film A Raisin in the Sun (1961) and the film American Gangster (2007) for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. She has won Grammy, Emmy, Obie, Drama Desk, Screen Actors Guild Award, and Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Awards. She is a recipient of the National Medal of Arts and the Kennedy Center Honors, among scores of others awards.
- Has three children, Nora, 'Guy Davis (I)' (qv) and Hasna.
- 1995: She and husband 'Ossie Davis' (qv) were awarded the American National Medal of the Arts from the National Endowment of the Arts in Washington, DC.
- Says her favorite quote comes from the book, "Charlotte's Web": "'Isn't Life peculiar!' said Jeremy. 'Compared to what?' said the spider.".
- Attended Hunter College.
- Is an honorary member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- She is a member of the NAACP, CORE, Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, Southern Christian Leadership Council.
- 2004: Recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, along with 'Elton John' (qv), 'Joan Sutherland (I)' (qv), 'John Williams (I)' (qv), 'Warren Beatty' (qv) and husband 'Ossie Davis' (qv).
- 1989: Voted into the NAACP image award Hall of Fame with husband 'Ossie Davis' (qv).