Oct. 27th, 1924
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Ruby Dee's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - 1982
2012 - A Thousand Words
2011 - The Perfect Age of Rock 'n' Roll
2007 - American Gangster
2007 - All About Us
2006 - No. 2
2003 - Unchained Memories: Readings from the Slave Narratives
1999 - Baby Geniuses
1997 - A Simple Wish
1995 - Just Cause
1991 - Jungle Fever
1990 - Love at Large
1989 - Do the Right Thing
1982 - Cat People
1972 - Buck and the Preacher
1957 - Edge of the City
1951 - The Tall Target
1950 - The Jackie Robinson Story
1950 - No Way Out
Guest TV Roles
Ruby Dee (born October 27, 1922) is an American actress, poet, playwright, screenwriter, journalist, activist, and widow of actor Ossie Davis. She is perhaps best known for co-starring in the film A Raisin in the Sun (1961) and the film American Gangster (2007) for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. She has won Grammy, Emmy, Obie, Drama Desk, Screen Actors Guild Award, and Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Awards. She is a recipient of the National Medal of Arts and the Kennedy Center Honors, among scores of others awards.
- One of 105 people invited to join AMPAS in 2008.
- 1989: Voted into the NAACP image award Hall of Fame with husband 'Ossie Davis' (qv).
- In 2008, at the age of 83, she became the second oldest actress to be nominated for an Academy Award. The oldest is 'Gloria Stuart' (qv).
- 1995: She and husband 'Ossie Davis' (qv) were awarded the American National Medal of the Arts from the National Endowment of the Arts in Washington, DC.
- 2004: Recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, along with 'Elton John' (qv), 'Joan Sutherland (I)' (qv), 'John Williams (I)' (qv), 'Warren Beatty' (qv) and husband 'Ossie Davis' (qv).
- Attended Hunter College.
- Is an honorary member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Has three children, Nora, 'Guy Davis (I)' (qv) and Hasna.