Jul. 24th, 1979
Balmain, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Rose Byrne's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Rose was born on July 24, 1979, in Sydney, Australia. She landed her first role in a movie, Dallas Doll (1994), when she was 12 years old.
Since then, Rose has appeared in a variety of Australian televisions shows including "Heartbreak High" (1994), "Echo Point" (1995), and the film Two Hands (1999) alongside Heath Ledger. After this, she appeared in various movies like The Date (1999), My Mother Frank (2000), and Clara Law (I)'s The Goddess of 1967 (2000) for which she obtained the Female Volpi Cup at the Venice Festival in 2000.
Her first experience on a big-budget movie came when she played handmaiden, Dormé, to Natalie Portman, Padmé Amidala, in Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002). In 2003, she starred, coincidentally, as Rose Mortmain in the adaptation of Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle (2003). In 2004, she acted in Wicker Park (2004) with Diane Kruger and Josh Hartnett. Here, she heard Wolfgang Petersen (I) was looking for an actress for Briseis in his next movie Troy (2004) with Brad Pitt, she got the part and was recognised as one of the most promising actresses in Hollywood.
After Troy (2004), she played Edith in a TV adaptation of "Casanova" (2005). In September 2005, she started to act in Sunshine (2007), a Danny Boyle movie, where she plays the pilot in a space mission.
- Favorite artistes include: 'Pat Benatar' (qv), 'Bob Marley (I)' (qv), 'Bryan Adams (I)' (qv).
- She trains in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Grappling. Her teacher and close friend is Jiu-Jitsu legend Kyra Gracie, who taught Byrne for awhile, when she was in Sidney. Currently (2008-2009), Byrne trains at the Axis Jiu-Jitsu Academy, when in Australia, and at Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, in New York.
- Was considered for the lead role in 'Jane Campion' (qv)'s _Holy Smoke (1999)_ (qv) (the part went to 'Kate Winslet' (qv).
- Both Byrne's parents are atheists, while she describes herself as agnostic.
- She studied drama at Syndey's Australian Theatre for Young People and later at David Mamet Acting School, in New York.
- Father: Robin, mother: Jane, brother: George, born 1976, sisters: Alice, born 1973 and Lucy, born 1972.
- Best friends with fellow Australian actress 'Nadia Townsend' (qv) since they both were 8 years old.
- Named in the Most Beautiful People of 2007 list in Who Magazine.