Apr. 13th, 1950
New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Sergeant Francis Q. Grating (Voiced)
Killer Croc (Voiced)
Sgt. Sweete (Voiced)
Gha Nachkt (Voiced)
Carol Singer (Voiced)
Ron Perlman, a classically trained actor, has appeared in countless stage plays. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Opal, and their two children, Blake and Brandon. He was born in Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York. His mother, Dorothy, still lives there and is retired from the City Clerk's Office. His father, now deceased, was a repair man and a drummer with Artie Shaw's Band.
With a career spanning over three decades, Perlman has worked alongside such diverse actors as 'Marlon Brando', 'Sean Connery', 'Cameron Diaz', 'Brad Dourif', 'Ed Harris', 'John Hurt', 'Jude Law', 'Christina Ricci', 'Wesley Snipes', 'Sigourney Weaver', 'Michael Wincott', and 'Elijah Wood' to name a few.
While he has never been a bankable star, Perlman has always had a large fan-base. He started out strong as Amoukar, one of the tribesmen in Jean-Jacques Annaud's Academy Award-winning film La guerre du feu (1981), for which he got a Genie nomination. Perlman teamed up with Annaud again in '86, this time as a hunchback named Salvatore in Der Name der Rose (1986).
His first real breakthrough came later, when he landed the role of Vincent, the lion-man, opposite 'Linda Hamilton' in the cult-series Beauty and the Beast (1987). His work in this role earned him not only a Golden Globe Award, but a huge fan following.
After that, he spent time working on independent films such as Sleepwalkers (1992), The Adventures of Huck Finn (1993), Cronos (1993), and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's surreal La cit� des enfants perdus (1995). He returned to mainstream films in Alien: Resurrection (1997), again with Jeunet, and, in 2004, his good friend 'Guillermo del Toro' helped him land the title role in the big-budget comic book movie Hellboy (2004).
Perlman has played everything from a prehistoric tribesman to a good-hearted Colonel, and will always be a rarity in Hollywood.
His other films include The Last Supper (1995), The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996), Enemy at the Gates (2001), Blade II (2002) and Star Trek: Nemesis (2002).
- Good friends with former _"Beauty and the Beast" (1987)_ (qv) co-star 'Linda Hamilton (I)' (qv). They reunited in the theatre play Lover Letters (1991) and in the post-Vietnam War drama _Missing in America (2005)_ (qv).
- Worked on the Acadamy Award winning short film _Two Soldiers (2003)_ (qv) for free as a favor to writer/director 'Aaron Schneider (I)' (qv).
- With the creation of _Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)_ (qv), at 58 he became the oldest actor ever to play a main superhero.
- Has a dog (terrier) named Nigel.
- Attended George Washington High School.
- Upon meeting to discuss _Hellboy (2004)_ (qv), creator 'Mike Mignola' (qv) and director 'Guillermo del Toro' (qv) decided to reveal to each other their choice for the lead role. They both said at the same time, 'Ron Perlman' (qv). Revolutions studio wanted a bigger name like 'Vin Diesel' (qv) to play the title role, but del Toro fought for Perlman to get the role, and in the end, he did.
- Gave former _"Beauty and the Beast" (1987)_ (qv) co-star 'Armin Shimerman' (qv) advice on how to emote effectively under full-head prosthetic appliances when Shimerman landed the role of Quark on _"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993)_ (qv).
- He is left-handed, but was forced to use his right as a child - therefore he is relatively comfortable using his right hand.