Apr. 13th, 1950
New York City, New York, USA
Ron Perlman's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ron Perlman, a classically trained actor, has appeared in countless stage plays. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Opal, and their two children, Blake and Brandon. He was born in Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York. His mother, Dorothy, still lives there and is retired from the City Clerk's Office. His father, now deceased, was a repair man and a drummer with Artie Shaw's Band.
With a career spanning over three decades, Perlman has worked alongside such diverse actors as 'Marlon Brando', 'Sean Connery', 'Cameron Diaz', 'Brad Dourif', 'Ed Harris', 'John Hurt', 'Jude Law', 'Christina Ricci', 'Wesley Snipes', 'Sigourney Weaver', 'Michael Wincott', and 'Elijah Wood' to name a few.
While he has never been a bankable star, Perlman has always had a large fan-base. He started out strong as Amoukar, one of the tribesmen in Jean-Jacques Annaud's Academy Award-winning film La guerre du feu (1981), for which he got a Genie nomination. Perlman teamed up with Annaud again in '86, this time as a hunchback named Salvatore in Der Name der Rose (1986).
His first real breakthrough came later, when he landed the role of Vincent, the lion-man, opposite 'Linda Hamilton' in the cult-series Beauty and the Beast (1987). His work in this role earned him not only a Golden Globe Award, but a huge fan following.
After that, he spent time working on independent films such as Sleepwalkers (1992), The Adventures of Huck Finn (1993), Cronos (1993), and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's surreal La cit� des enfants perdus (1995). He returned to mainstream films in Alien: Resurrection (1997), again with Jeunet, and, in 2004, his good friend 'Guillermo del Toro' helped him land the title role in the big-budget comic book movie Hellboy (2004).
Perlman has played everything from a prehistoric tribesman to a good-hearted Colonel, and will always be a rarity in Hollywood.
His other films include The Last Supper (1995), The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996), Enemy at the Gates (2001), Blade II (2002) and Star Trek: Nemesis (2002).
- His favorite episode of _"Beauty and the Beast" (1987)_ (qv) is 'Happy Life'.
- Was offered the role of Piccolo in _Dragonball Evolution (2009)_ (qv), but turned it down to work on _Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)_ (qv) instead.
- His characters are frequently seen smoking cigars (_The Last Supper (1995)_ (qv), _Happy, Texas (1999)_ (qv), _Price of Glory (2000)_ (qv), _Night Class (2001)_ (qv), _Hellboy (2004)_ (qv), et cetera). Perlman is an avid cigar smoker in real life.
- Attended the University of Minnesota from fall 1971 to spring 1973. On July 20th 1973 he graduated with his then new degree of Master of Fine Arts.
- Attended George Washington High School.
- He is left-handed, but was forced to use his right as a child - therefore he is relatively comfortable using his right hand.
- Has a dog (terrier) named Nigel.
- Is a New York Yankees fan.