Mar. 1st, 1954
Duncan, Oklahoma, USA
Ron Howard's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - Tell Them Who You Are
2001 - A Beautiful Mind
2001 - Osmosis Jones
2000 - The Grinch
1982 - Night Shift
1977 - Grand Theft Auto
1976 - Eat My Dust
1976 - The First Nudie Musical
1976 - The Shootist
1974 - The Spikes Gang
1973 - American Graffiti
1965 - Village of the Giants
1963 - The Courtship of Eddie's Father
1962 - The Music Man
1961 - Five Minutes to Live
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Director
Ron was born in Oklahoma, into an acting family - his father had realized a boyhood dream of acting by attending the University of Oklahoma and majoring in drama, and his mother went through acting school in New York. He was in his first movie at 18 months, Frontier Woman (1956), although his first real part was at the age of 4. Soon a regular on "Playhouse 90" (1956), he was cast as Opie on "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960), and later moved from a child in Mayberry to America's teenager as Richie Cunningham in "Happy Days" (1974). The life of a child star is certainly not routine, but Ron's parents wanted his life to be as normal as possible - he attended public schools and at age 15 even took nine months off to play a basketball season. The transition from child actor to adult actor is always difficult, but for Ron the real transition was from child actor to adult director. There were some film roles, such as The Shootist (1976) for which he received a Golden Globe nomination, but his dream and now his focus was directing. He had begun shooting films at age 15 with a Super-8 camera, and after high school spent two years in a film program at the University of Southern California, but then left, feeling he could learn more from actual experience. That first film was the hardest to finance, but he struck a deal with Roger Corman - he would star in Eat My Dust (1976) and Corman would produce Grand Theft Auto (1977) which Howard would direct (he also wrote the script and starred). It was a success, and his directorial career was jump-started. Married since 1975 to his high school sweetheart, he, in 1997, is enjoying a life of telling stories as one of Hollywood's top directors.
- Became a grandfather when his daughter, 'Bryce Dallas Howard' (qv), had a baby boy on February 16, 2007.
- Is apparently a big fan of cricket. Attended the final Ashes test match between England vs. Australia on 12th September 2005 whilst filming _The Da Vinci Code (2006)_ (qv), and was spotted mingling with players in the Australian dressing room.
- Ranked #27 on Premiere's 2005 Power 50 List. Had ranked #30 in 2004.
- Went to high school with actress 'Rene Russo' (qv).
- Father-in-law of 'Seth Gabel' (qv).
- Was interested in directing _D-Tox (2002)_ (qv) at one point, but decided to direct _How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)_ (qv).
- Directed 8 different actors in Oscar-nominated performances: 'Don Ameche' (qv), 'Dianne Wiest' (qv), 'Ed Harris (I)' (qv), 'Kathleen Quinlan' (qv), 'Russell Crowe' (qv), 'Jennifer Connelly' (qv), 'Paul Giamatti' (qv), and 'Frank Langella' (qv). Ameche and Connelly won Oscars for their performances in one of Howard's movies.
- Born on the same day as 'Catherine Bach' (qv), who is best known as "Daisy Duke" from _"The Dukes of Hazzard" (1979)_ (qv).