Jun. 18th, 1942
Urbana, Illinois, USA
Roger Ebert's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films
2014 - Life Itself
2007 - Manufacturing Dissent
2006 - Going to Pieces - The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film
2005 - Jiminy Glick In Lalawood
2005 - Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream
2000 - Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Guest TV Roles
Roger Ebert (Voiced)
Himself - Film Critic
- Shares the birthplace of Urbana, Illinois with the character Hal 9000, as specified in _2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)_ (qv) one of his all time favorite movies. He held a birthday party for Hal 9000 at the University of Illinois in Urbana in 1997 (Hal's birth date in the novel, not the film) celebrated with a screening of 2001 and its co-writer 'Arthur C. Clarke' (qv) in attendance via satellite.
- Once told 'David Letterman' (qv) that if he were trapped on a deserted island with only one film to watch, that film would be _Citizen Kane (1941)_ (qv).
- 1 July 2006 - Had surgery to repair a burst blood vessel near his salivary gland, near where he had his previous cancer operation.
- Survived a bout with thyroid cancer, as well as a cancerous salivary gland tumor.
- First person ever to win the Pulitzer Prize for film criticism; in 2003, Stephen Hunter of the Washington Post became the second.
- Hollywood Radio and Television Society's Co-Man of the Year 1993 (with 'Gene Siskel' (qv)).
- Hobbies: walking, reading, travel, sketching, cosmology, Darwinism.
- He has a step-daughter, Sonia, and 3 step-grandchildren.