Jun. 18th, 1942
Urbana, Illinois, USA
Roger Ebert's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- His top ten films of all time are: _The General (1926)_ (qv), _Citizen Kane (1941)_ (qv), _Tôkyô monogatari (1953)_ (qv) ("Tokyo Story "), _Vertigo (1958)_ (qv), _La dolce vita (1960)_ (qv), _2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)_ (qv), _Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972)_ (qv) ("Aguirre: The Wrath of God"), _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv), _Raging Bull (1980)_ (qv) and _"Dekalog" (1989)_ (qv).
- Has written 15 books.
- Sportswriter at the age of 15.
- Shoulder surgery in May 2002 caused him to miss attending Cannes Film Festival for first time in 25 years. Broke left shoulder in two places after slipping on wet floor.
- Chicago's Erie Way was renamed Siskel & Ebert Way in 1995.
- Believes the Academy's biggest mistake was giving _Gladiator (2000)_ (qv) the award for 'Best Picture' of the year in 2000.
- Is a film lecturer at the University of Chicago Fine Arts Program.
- His 4th annual EbertFest of Overlooked Films held at Virginia Theatre in Champaign, Illinois, drew almost 20,000 people over 5 days in March 2002.