Jun. 18th, 1942
Urbana, Illinois, USA
Roger Ebert's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Manufacturing Dissent
2005 - Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream
2000 - Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Guest TV Roles
- Claimed in his original review of _Rocky (1976)_ (qv) that 'Sylvester Stallone' (qv) was the "next 'Marlon Brando' (qv)".
- Says that his favorite actress of all time is 'Ingrid Bergman (I)' (qv).
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. [June 23, 2005]
- Despite undergoing debilitating cancer treatment and radiation in 2004, Ebert continued his award-winning movie reviews, writing an incredible 274 reviews that year, plus 26 essays on great movies and 26 versions of his column "The Movie Answer Man." He also covered various film festivals (including Cannes) and the Oscars.
- Shares the birthplace of Urbana, Illinois with the character Hal 9000, as specified in _2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)_ (qv) one of his all time favorite movies. He held a birthday party for Hal 9000 at the University of Illinois in Urbana in 1997 (Hal's birth date in the novel, not the film) celebrated with a screening of 2001 and its co-writer 'Arthur C. Clarke' (qv) in attendance via satellite.
- Is an avid user and fan of IMDb.
- His top ten films of all time are: _The General (1926)_ (qv), _Citizen Kane (1941)_ (qv), _Tôkyô monogatari (1953)_ (qv) ("Tokyo Story "), _Vertigo (1958)_ (qv), _La dolce vita (1960)_ (qv), _2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)_ (qv), _Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972)_ (qv) ("Aguirre: The Wrath of God"), _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv), _Raging Bull (1980)_ (qv) and _"Dekalog" (1989)_ (qv).
- Considers the film _Day of the Woman (1978)_ (qv) (aka "I Spit On Your Grave") to be the worst movie he has ever seen.