Jun. 18th, 1942
Urbana, Illinois, USA
Roger Ebert's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Manufacturing Dissent
2005 - Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream
2000 - Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Guest TV Roles
- Author of the "Boulder Pledge" 1996 - a strong statement against spam in response to hearing the fact some people will purchase things advertised via spam. If people don't buy things, there's no reason to send it.
- He drew criticism when he stated that he considered _The Passion of the Christ (2004)_ (qv) to be 'the most violent film I've ever seen'. Many misinterpreted that to mean that he felt that the violence in the film was negative and exploitive (even though he gave the film a glowing review). He stated in his Q and A column that "The effect of movie violence depends on subjective factors, including the purpose the filmmakers had in using it."
- He was an only child.
- Believes the Academy's biggest mistake was giving _Gladiator (2000)_ (qv) the award for 'Best Picture' of the year in 2000.
- Has an extensive collection of cartoon character toys, dolls and action figures.
- Film critic.
- His 4th annual EbertFest of Overlooked Films held at Virginia Theatre in Champaign, Illinois, drew almost 20,000 people over 5 days in March 2002.
- Brother in the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.