Nov. 27th, 1964
Robin Givens' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - The Family That Preys
2008 - Tyson
2003 - Head of State
1994 - Blankman
1992 - Boomerang
1991 - A Rage in Harlem
1978 - The Wiz
Guest TV Roles
Director Jane Bentley
Robin Simone Givens (born November 27, 1964) is an American actress and model. She is perhaps best known for her role as Darlene Merriman on the ABC television sitcom, Head of the Class.
Early life Givens was born in New York City, the daughter of Ruth Roper (née Newby) and Reuben Givens. Givens's mother and father divorced when she was two. She and her sister Stephanie were raised by their mother in Mt. Vernon and New Rochelle, New York. Givens graduated two years early (1980) from New Rochelle Academy (a N-12 private school which closed in June 1987). At the age of 15 she enrolled at Sarah Lawrence College. She later studied various medical courses at Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Givens dated her Head of the Class co-star, Brian Robbins, comedian and actor Eddie Murphy, and a pre-fame Brad Pitt. She briefly dated Howard Stern from 1999–2000.
After meeting in March 1987, she married boxer Mike Tyson on February 7, 1988. Tyson was then estimated to have US$50 million, and he and Givens did not make a prenuptial agreement. During their marriage, Givens and her mother bought a $4.5 million mansion in the affluent suburb of Bernardsville, New Jersey.
After a miscarriage in May 1988, the marriage began to fall apart. She alleged spousal abuse while Tyson alleged alienation and interest in his money, not in him. The marriage ended on Valentine's Day, just a year later. Newspapers reported that Givens received a divorce settlement of over $10 million from her marriage to Tyson. She later denied the report stating "I didn’t receive one dime". She received negative press following her split from Tyson, particularly within the African American community. One article in particular described her as "the most hated woman in America".
In 1993, Givens adopted her first son Buddy. In 2000 she had a second son William with ex-boyfriend, Murphy Jensen .
In 1997, she married her tennis instructor, Svetozar Marinkovic, only to separate from him the same day of the marriage. Givens filed for divorce months later.
- Replaced 'Mother Love' (qv) as hostess for the series _"Forgive or Forget" (1998)_ (qv) (as of 17 January 2000)
- Has been separated from her tennis instructor husband, Marinkovic, since the day they married. Filed for divorce 19 December 1997 citing irreconcilable differences.
- Sons: Michael (b. 1992) and William (b. 1999).
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#88).
- Suffered from depression.
- Robin's father, Reuben, abandoned her family when she was a young girl and she seldom saw him after that.
- Measurements: 34-22-33 (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
- Listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1991" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 43."