Jun. 6th, 1947
Glendale, California, USA
Robert Englund's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Red
2007 - Heckler
2007 - Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
2006 - Heartstopper
2006 - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
2005 - 2001 Maniacs
2003 - Freddy vs. Jason
2002 - Wish You Were Dead
1998 - Meet the Deedles
1998 - Strangeland
1998 - Urban Legend
1997 - Wishmaster
1996 - La lengua asesina
1995 - The Mangler
1994 - New Nightmare
1991 - Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
1990 - The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
1989 - The Phantom of the Opera
1988 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
1987 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
1986 - Never Too Young to Die
1985 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
1984 - A Nightmare on Elm Street
1981 - Galaxy of Terror
1981 - Dead & Buried
1978 - Big Wednesday
1977 - Eaten Alive
1976 - Stay Hungry
1976 - St. Ives
1976 - A Star Is Born
1975 - Hustle
Guest TV Roles
Felix Faust (Voiced)
Edward Nygma (Voiced)
American leading actor of a number of horror films, probably best known as Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) and all of its sequels. Englund, a boyish, tall and gaunt figure, became a cult favorite after that film but had started working in the 1970s. He was cast as a sex-crazed maniac in Eaten Alive (1977) by Tobe Hooper, who also directed The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). Englund went on to a number of low-budget horror films, including Galaxy of Terror (1981) and The Fifth Floor (1978). Then came his big break as Freddy Kruger in "Elm Street", the man of nightmares with the disfigured face and a red striped shirt with his right hand as razor-sharp knives. The film was directed by Wes Craven and was so successful for New Line Cinema that the company had Englund reprise Freddy in all of the subsequent - and wildly successful - sequels. He played the title role in the semi-remake of the horror film classic, The Phantom of the Opera (1989) for 21st Century Film Corporation. Englund has frequently worked with Hooper, in such films as Night Terrors (1993) and The Mangler (1995).
- Member of Actors' Equity Association (1968-), Screen Actors Guild (1973-), American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, Directors Guild of America.
- His performance as Freddy Krueger in _A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)_ (qv) is ranked #51 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
- While a student at the Academy of Dramatic Art he spent a summer teaching at Cranbrook Theatre School in Bloomfield Hills.
- Is an avid _"King of the Hill" (1997)_ (qv) fan.
- Is an avid fan of filmmaker 'Kevin Smith (I)' (qv).
- Is of Swedish descent.
- One-time TV/radio host.
- Ranked the #40 top villain for the American Film Institution's Top 100 list of 100 Heroes and Villains for his role as Freddy Krueger.