Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Himself - The Judge
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- In a symbolic attempt to bury his decadent 1980s Brat Pack image and begin a new phase of his life and career after filming _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv) in 1991, he (literally) buried the clothes that he wore in 1987's _Less Than Zero (1987)_ (qv) in the backyard of his house.
- (25 November 2000) Downey re-arrested on drugs and weapons charges in Palm Springs, California, at the luxurious 'Merv Griffin' (qv) resort, after an anonymous tip to police. Downey was found alone, with cocaine and methamphetamines. He cooperated with police, spent the night in jail, and was released the next morning on $15,000.00 bail. Downey had been on a career upswing with his successful stint on _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv), and his upcoming stage performance as Hamlet, set for January, 2001 in Los Angeles, to be directed by his friend 'Mel Gibson (I)' (qv).
- Dropped out of Santa Monica High School at age 17 and moved to New York to become an actor. First jobs in the city included bussing tables at Central Falls restaurant, working in a shoe store, and performing as "living art" at SohHo's notorious underground club Area.
- Names 'Peter O'Toole (I)' (qv) as his favorite actor.
- (16 July 2001) Downey pleaded no contest to drug charges. The judge sentenced him to remain in rehabilitation for one year and to three years' probation.
- Has worn lifts at his directors' requests in his recent leading man roles, namely _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv) and its sequel and in _Sherlock Holmes (2009)_ (qv), in order to enhance his height.
- Son of 'Robert Downey Sr.' (qv).
- Was approached to do the part as Zaphod Beeblebrox in _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)_ (qv).