Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
John Cougar Melloncamp
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City, at 1:10 pm. He's the son of underground filmmaker 'Robert Downey Sr.'.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director 'James Toback' film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with 'Molly Ringwald'. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played 'Charles Chaplin' in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with 'Vonda Shepard' , and "Every Breath You Take" together with 'Sting'. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- Has worn lifts at his directors' requests in his recent leading man roles, namely _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv) and its sequel and in _Sherlock Holmes (2009)_ (qv), in order to enhance his height.
- (16 July 2001) Downey pleaded no contest to drug charges. The judge sentenced him to remain in rehabilitation for one year and to three years' probation.
- At the age of 10, while living in London, Robert attended the Perry House School in Chelsea and studied classical ballet.
- As a result of his father's work ('Robert Downey Sr.' (qv) was (and is) an independent filmmaker), Downey the younger spent a great deal of his childhood on the move. He lived at various points in Connecticut, New York, California, London, Paris, and Woodstock.
- (December 1997) Jailed for 180 days for violating probation.
- In a symbolic attempt to bury his decadent 1980s Brat Pack image and begin a new phase of his life and career after filming _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv) in 1991, he (literally) buried the clothes that he wore in 1987's _Less Than Zero (1987)_ (qv) in the backyard of his house.
- Married his first wife after dating her for only 42 days.
- Kept a lot of the authentic vintage clothing he wore in the movie _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv).