Robert Downey Jr.
Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
5' 8 1/2
Guest TV Roles
John Cougar Melloncamp
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. was born in Greenwich Village, New York City, at 1:10 pm. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.. His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined _Saturday Night Live_ (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback's film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987). In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series "Ally McBeal" (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series." On "Ally McBeal" (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," "Chances Are" as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting (I). He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the "Ally McBeal" (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- Dropped out of Santa Monica High School at age 17 and moved to New York to become an actor. First jobs in the city included bussing tables at Central Falls restaurant, working in a shoe store, and performing as "living art" at SohHo's notorious underground club Area.
- Son 'Indio Falconer Downey' (qv), with his first wife 'Deborah Falconer' (qv), was born on September 7, 1993.
- (December 1997) Jailed for 180 days for violating probation.
- Met wife 'Susan Downey' (qv) on the set of _Gothika (2003)_ (qv).
- In a symbolic attempt to bury his decadent 1980s Brat Pack image and begin a new phase of his life and career after filming _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv) in 1991, he (literally) buried the clothes that he wore in 1987's _Less Than Zero (1987)_ (qv) in the backyard of his house.
- Starred briefly with his first wife 'Deborah Falconer' (qv) in the 1992 'Robert Altman (I)' (qv) movie _Short Cuts (1993)_ (qv).
- On the set of _A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006)_ (qv) he took co-star 'Adam Scarimbolo' (qv) under his wing.
- Claims that his father is the one who introduced him to drugs, by offering him a marijuana joint when he was 8.