Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
5' 8 1/2
Guest TV Roles
John Cougar Melloncamp
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. was born in Greenwich Village, New York City, at 1:10 pm. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.. His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined _Saturday Night Live_ (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback's film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987). In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series "Ally McBeal" (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series." On "Ally McBeal" (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," "Chances Are" as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting (I). He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the "Ally McBeal" (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- He took daily drug tests during the filming of _Two Girls and a Guy (1997)_ (qv).
- Starred in 'Elton John' (qv)'s music video for the song "I Want Love." Downey was let out of rehab for one day in late July specifically to shoot the video (which was filmed in one long continuous take at Greystone Manor in Beverley Hills.) It was Downey's first work since being fired from the TV show _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv) in April 2001.
- He married his second wife, _Gothika (2003)_ (qv) producer 'Susan Downey' (qv), at Amagansett, New York, on 27 August 2005.
- On the set of _A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006)_ (qv) he took co-star 'Adam Scarimbolo' (qv) under his wing.
- In a symbolic attempt to bury his decadent 1980s Brat Pack image and begin a new phase of his life and career after filming _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv) in 1991, he (literally) buried the clothes that he wore in 1987's _Less Than Zero (1987)_ (qv) in the backyard of his house.
- (August 1996) Remanded to a secure drug rehabilitation center.
- (24 April 2001) Arrested for being under the influence of a controlled substance in Los Angeles after he was found wandering in an alley. He was fired from the TV series _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv) by producer 'David E. Kelley (I)' (qv) after the arrest.
- At the age of 10, while living in London, Robert attended the Perry House School in Chelsea and studied classical ballet.