Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Robert Downey Jr.'s Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- Was in attendance at 'Chris Penn (I)' (qv)'s funeral
- Kept a lot of the authentic vintage clothing he wore in the movie _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv).
- Names 'Peter O'Toole (I)' (qv) as his favorite actor.
- Has worn lifts at his directors' requests in his recent leading man roles, namely _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv) and its sequel and in _Sherlock Holmes (2009)_ (qv), in order to enhance his height.
- He's the first regular cast member of _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) to be nominated for an Academy Award in the category "Best Actor in a Leading Role." 'Joan Cusack' (qv) and 'Dan Aykroyd' (qv) were also nominated for Academy Awards some years before Downey, but both were nominated for supporting roles.
- Close friends with 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv) and 'Ramon Estevez' (qv).
- Starred briefly with his first wife 'Deborah Falconer' (qv) in the 1992 'Robert Altman (I)' (qv) movie _Short Cuts (1993)_ (qv).
- He took daily drug tests during the filming of _Two Girls and a Guy (1997)_ (qv).