Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
John Cougar Melloncamp
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City, at 1:10 pm. He's the son of underground filmmaker 'Robert Downey Sr.'.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director 'James Toback' film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with 'Molly Ringwald'. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played 'Charles Chaplin' in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with 'Vonda Shepard' , and "Every Breath You Take" together with 'Sting'. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- At the age of 10, while living in London, Robert attended the Perry House School in Chelsea and studied classical ballet.
- Kept a lot of the authentic vintage clothing he wore in the movie _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv).
- (16 July 2001) Downey pleaded no contest to drug charges. The judge sentenced him to remain in rehabilitation for one year and to three years' probation.
- He is of Irish and Russian-Jewish ancestry from his father's side and German-Jewish and Scottish descent from his mother's side.
- Childhood friend of Richard Hall aka 'Moby (I)' (qv).
- Claims that his father is the one who introduced him to drugs, by offering him a marijuana joint when he was 8.
- Dropped out of Santa Monica High School at age 17 and moved to New York to become an actor. First jobs in the city included bussing tables at Central Falls restaurant, working in a shoe store, and performing as "living art" at SohHo's notorious underground club Area.
- Godfather of his son 'Indio Falconer Downey' (qv) is close friend 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv).