Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Robert Downey Jr.'s Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- Once worked as a piece of living art in a SoHo nightclub in New York City.
- 'Sting (I)' (qv) ("Every Breath You Take") and 'Billy Idol' (qv) performed at his wedding to 'Susan Downey' (qv).
- He took daily drug tests during the filming of _Two Girls and a Guy (1997)_ (qv).
- (25 November 2000) Downey re-arrested on drugs and weapons charges in Palm Springs, California, at the luxurious 'Merv Griffin' (qv) resort, after an anonymous tip to police. Downey was found alone, with cocaine and methamphetamines. He cooperated with police, spent the night in jail, and was released the next morning on $15,000.00 bail. Downey had been on a career upswing with his successful stint on _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv), and his upcoming stage performance as Hamlet, set for January, 2001 in Los Angeles, to be directed by his friend 'Mel Gibson (I)' (qv).
- While drunk, he wandered into a neighbor's Malibu home that he thought was his own, and fell asleep on the bed. He was arrested for being under the influence of drugs, which was a third violation of his probation.
- Met wife 'Susan Downey' (qv) on the set of _Gothika (2003)_ (qv).
- (24 May 2001) Downey pleaded not guilty to the November 2000 drug charges. Next hearing will be on July 16. He is being held in a drug rehab center until his case is decided.
- (16 July 2001) Downey pleaded no contest to drug charges. The judge sentenced him to remain in rehabilitation for one year and to three years' probation.