Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Robert Downey Jr.'s Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- Once worked as a piece of living art in a SoHo nightclub in New York City.
- Was approached to do the part as Zaphod Beeblebrox in _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)_ (qv).
- He married his second wife, _Gothika (2003)_ (qv) producer 'Susan Downey' (qv), at Amagansett, New York, on 27 August 2005.
- He took daily drug tests during the filming of _Two Girls and a Guy (1997)_ (qv).
- Attended Stagedoor Manor.
- (December 1997) Jailed for 180 days for violating probation.
- Before he starred as _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv), Downey had done films with three of the actors who played Batman: with 'George Clooney' (qv) in _Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)_ (qv); with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) in _Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)_ (qv); and with 'Michael Keaton' (qv) in _Game 6 (2005)_ (qv).
- (17 October 1997) Probation revoked after continued drug use.