Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Robert Downey Jr.'s Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- (24 April 2001) Arrested for being under the influence of a controlled substance in Los Angeles after he was found wandering in an alley. He was fired from the TV series _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv) by producer 'David E. Kelley (I)' (qv) after the arrest.
- As a result of his father's work ('Robert Downey Sr.' (qv) was (and is) an independent filmmaker), Downey the younger spent a great deal of his childhood on the move. He lived at various points in Connecticut, New York, California, London, Paris, and Woodstock.
- Son 'Indio Falconer Downey' (qv), with his first wife 'Deborah Falconer' (qv), was born on September 7, 1993.
- In a symbolic attempt to bury his decadent 1980s Brat Pack image and begin a new phase of his life and career after filming _Chaplin (1992)_ (qv) in 1991, he (literally) buried the clothes that he wore in 1987's _Less Than Zero (1987)_ (qv) in the backyard of his house.
- He proposed to 'Susan Downey' (qv) on her 30th birthday.
- During his days of drug addiction, Robert once wandered into a stranger's house and passed out on a child's bed.
- (16 July 2001) Downey pleaded no contest to drug charges. The judge sentenced him to remain in rehabilitation for one year and to three years' probation.
- Godfather of his son 'Indio Falconer Downey' (qv) is close friend 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv).