Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
John Cougar Melloncamp
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City, at 1:10 pm. He's the son of underground filmmaker 'Robert Downey Sr.'.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director 'James Toback' film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with 'Molly Ringwald'. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played 'Charles Chaplin' in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with 'Vonda Shepard' , and "Every Breath You Take" together with 'Sting'. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- He proposed to 'Susan Downey' (qv) on her 30th birthday.
- Dropped out of Santa Monica High School at age 17 and moved to New York to become an actor. First jobs in the city included bussing tables at Central Falls restaurant, working in a shoe store, and performing as "living art" at SohHo's notorious underground club Area.
- Before he starred as _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv), Downey had done films with three of the actors who played Batman: with 'George Clooney' (qv) in _Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)_ (qv); with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) in _Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)_ (qv); and with 'Michael Keaton' (qv) in _Game 6 (2005)_ (qv).
- Attended Stagedoor Manor.
- At the age of 10, while living in London, Robert attended the Perry House School in Chelsea and studied classical ballet.
- As a result of his father's work ('Robert Downey Sr.' (qv) was (and is) an independent filmmaker), Downey the younger spent a great deal of his childhood on the move. He lived at various points in Connecticut, New York, California, London, Paris, and Woodstock.
- On the set of _A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006)_ (qv) he took co-star 'Adam Scarimbolo' (qv) under his wing.
- Son of 'Robert Downey Sr.' (qv).