Robert Downey Jr.
Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
5' 8 1/2
Guest TV Roles
John Cougar Melloncamp
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. was born in Greenwich Village, New York City, at 1:10 pm. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.. His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined _Saturday Night Live_ (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback's film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987). In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series "Ally McBeal" (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series." On "Ally McBeal" (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," "Chances Are" as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting (I). He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the "Ally McBeal" (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- (22 June 1999) Sent to a rehab center at the L.A. County jail while waiting for an August 5 hearing.
- Claims that his father is the one who introduced him to drugs, by offering him a marijuana joint when he was 8.
- Before he starred as _Iron Man (2008)_ (qv), Downey had done films with three of the actors who played Batman: with 'George Clooney' (qv) in _Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)_ (qv); with 'Val Kilmer' (qv) in _Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)_ (qv); and with 'Michael Keaton' (qv) in _Game 6 (2005)_ (qv).
- Was in attendance at 'Chris Penn (I)' (qv)'s funeral
- (24 April 2001) Arrested for being under the influence of a controlled substance in Los Angeles after he was found wandering in an alley. He was fired from the TV series _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv) by producer 'David E. Kelley (I)' (qv) after the arrest.
- Was approached to do the part as Zaphod Beeblebrox in _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)_ (qv).
- He married his second wife, _Gothika (2003)_ (qv) producer 'Susan Downey' (qv), at Amagansett, New York, on 27 August 2005.
- While drunk, he wandered into a neighbor's Malibu home that he thought was his own, and fell asleep on the bed. He was arrested for being under the influence of drugs, which was a third violation of his probation.