Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
John Cougar Melloncamp
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City, at 1:10 pm. He's the son of underground filmmaker 'Robert Downey Sr.'.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director 'James Toback' film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with 'Molly Ringwald'. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played 'Charles Chaplin' in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with 'Vonda Shepard' , and "Every Breath You Take" together with 'Sting'. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- 'Sting (I)' (qv) ("Every Breath You Take") and 'Billy Idol' (qv) performed at his wedding to 'Susan Downey' (qv).
- Godfather of his son 'Indio Falconer Downey' (qv) is close friend 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv).
- During his days of drug addiction, Robert once wandered into a stranger's house and passed out on a child's bed.
- Ranked #60 in Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the world (2008).
- (31 March 1998) Released from jail to complete his six-month jail sentence at a drug rehabilitation center. Downey caused a stir when he was freed to work on a movie.
- Was in attendance at 'Chris Penn (I)' (qv)'s funeral
- While drunk, he wandered into a neighbor's Malibu home that he thought was his own, and fell asleep on the bed. He was arrested for being under the influence of drugs, which was a third violation of his probation.
- (25 November 2000) Downey re-arrested on drugs and weapons charges in Palm Springs, California, at the luxurious 'Merv Griffin' (qv) resort, after an anonymous tip to police. Downey was found alone, with cocaine and methamphetamines. He cooperated with police, spent the night in jail, and was released the next morning on $15,000.00 bail. Downey had been on a career upswing with his successful stint on _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv), and his upcoming stage performance as Hamlet, set for January, 2001 in Los Angeles, to be directed by his friend 'Mel Gibson (I)' (qv).