Apr. 4th, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Patrick Pewterschmidt (Voiced)
Robert John Downey Jr. (born April 4, 1965) in Greenwich Village, New York City. He's the son of underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.
His first part in a movie was in his father's Pound (1970), in which 5-year-old Downey played a puppy. When he was 20 years old, he joined Saturday Night Live (1985) for one season. After that, he went to Hollywood. In 1987, he got the leading role in director James Toback film The Pick-up Artist (1987), co-starring with Molly Ringwald. The same year, he played drug addict Julian Wells in the movie Less Than Zero (1987).
In 1992, he played Charles Chaplin in Sir 'Richard Attenborough's film Chaplin (1992). For his astonishing performance, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In the year 2000, he guest-starred in the comedy series Ally McBeal (1997), where he portrayed the attorney Larry Paul, who became Ally's love interest. For that performance, he won the Golden Globe for "best supporting actor in a comedy series". On Ally McBeal (1997), Downey got to show that he can sing as well as act, when he sang Joni Mitchell's "River," Chances Are as a duet with Vonda Shepard, and "Every Breath You Take" together with Sting. He released one song of his own, "Snakes," on the Ally McBeal (1997) album "For Once in My Life," and a full album of his own work entitled "The Futurist" in 2005.
- Began studying Wing Chun Kung Fu under Sifu Eric Oram, who is serving as fight and martial arts consultant on 'Guy Ritchie' (qv)'s _Sherlock Holmes (2009)_ (qv).
- Lived with 'Sarah Jessica Parker' (qv) for 7 years during the 1980s.
- (2 August 2000) Released from jail on $5,000 bail.
- Close friends with 'Anthony Michael Hall' (qv) and 'Ramon Estevez' (qv).
- Downey's lawyers petitioned the State Court of Appeals in Los Angeles, stating that Downey had already served enough time because the Malibu judge had made errors in calculating his sentence. He hadn't given credit for the several times Downey spent in lockdown rehab units and in pre-sentencing confinement. Downey's lawyers claimed that he should have been released in February 2000.
- On the set of _A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006)_ (qv) he took co-star 'Adam Scarimbolo' (qv) under his wing.
- He's the first regular cast member of _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) to be nominated for an Academy Award in the category "Best Actor in a Leading Role." 'Joan Cusack' (qv) and 'Dan Aykroyd' (qv) were also nominated for Academy Awards some years before Downey, but both were nominated for supporting roles.
- Once worked as a piece of living art in a SoHo nightclub in New York City.