Oct. 26th, 1956
Los Angeles, California, USA
Rita Wilson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Rita Wilson (born Margarita Ibrahimoff; October 26, 1956) is an American actress, singer, and producer.
Born in Los Angeles, California. Her mother was born and raised in an ethnic Greek village (Sotirë) in present-day Albania. Her father, born Hassan Halilov Ibrahimoff (March 21, 1920 – March 6, 2009), worked at a race track; he was a Bulgarian Muslim (Pomak), born in Брещене (Breshtene), Western Thrace, and lived in Bulgaria, where his half brother Ferhat still lives. Subsequently, he moved to the United States on May 4, 1949. Wilson's father changed his name from Hassan Ibrahimoff to Allan Wilson in 1960, "Wilson" being the name of a local street in Southern California. Rita was raised Greek Orthodox.
Wilson's career began with a guest appearance on The Brady Bunch in the 1972 episode "Greg's Triangle". She also twice appeared on M*A*S*H in 1982 as Nurse Lacey as well as the sitcoms Three's Company and Bosom Buddies starring her future husband Tom Hanks.
She has appeared in several movies, including Volunteers, Teen Witch, The Bonfire of the Vanities, Barbarians at the Gate, Mixed Nuts, Sleepless in Seattle, Now and Then, That Thing You Do!, Jingle All the Way, Runaway Bride, Invisible Child, The Story of Us, Raise Your Voice, It's Complicated, and Larry Crowne. She played Susan Borman, wife of astronaut Frank Borman, in the HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon. On television, she guest starred in many television series, including Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, The Good Wife, Body of Proof, and Girls.
Wilson has performed on Broadway, where she performed the role of Roxie Hart from June–August 2006 in the revival of Chicago.
She is often credited with being the driving force behind Nia Vardalos's movie deal for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which became the highest-grossing independent film of all time, and for which she served as a producer.
Wilson's long-standing interest in singing led her to record a debut solo album, AM/FM, which she released May 8, 2012, on the Decca Records label. The album featured classics from the 60s and 70s, including a cover of "Wichita Lineman" that she performed with the song's writer-composer, Jimmy Webb.
She has been married to actor 'Tom Hanks' since April 1988, and the couple have two sons, Chester (b. August 4, 1990) and Truman Theodore (b, December 26, 1995). She also has two stepchildren from Tom Hanks' previous marriage, Colin and Elizabeth Ann.
She contributed to the Moffitt Cancer Center by donating "True Hearts" jewelry made of sterling silver and 14k gold. The proceeds will benefit several charities. Wilson credits good friend 'Rosie O'Donnell' as inspiration for her charitable work, particularly with cancer and children's charities. She is a devout member of the Greek Orthodox Church.
- Her father chose to change their last name to Wilson, because that was the name of the street they lived on.
- Stepmother of 'Colin Hanks' (qv) and 'Elizabeth Hanks' (qv).
- She is widely credited with landing 'Nia Vardalos (I)' (qv) a movie deal for _My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)_ (qv) (now the top money making independent film of all time, surpassing the $200 million mark), after seeing Vardalos perform her autobiographical one-woman show. She got her husband ('Tom Hanks' (qv)) to set up the film at his company, Playtone, which shopped it around to financiers and distributors on the strength of the Hanks-Wilson seal of approval. (Side note: Rita and Tom had a "Big Fat Greek Wedding" of their own in 1988).
- Niece, Kristen Reeves, is an entertainment reporter for Orange County TV.
- Her name Margarita is Bulgarian. In Bulgarian Margarita means the flower daisy.
- Attended Hollywood High School in California and later studied at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art in England.
- Half Greek (mother Dorothy, born and raised in a Greek village on the Albanian border) and Pomak (Bulgarian Muslim) from Bulgaria (father, born in Greece and lived in Bulgaria and Turkey, and who worked at a racetrack).
- She originally met 'Tom Hanks' (qv) in 1981 on the set of _"Bosom Buddies" (1980)_ (qv) when she guest-starred as 'Peter Scolari' (qv)'s Satan-worshiping girlfriend. But their relationship wasn't kindled until they were reunited on the set of _Volunteers (1985)_ (qv).