Oct. 26th, 1956
Los Angeles, California, USA
Rita Wilson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - It's Complicated
2009 - Old Dogs
2009 - My Life In Ruins
2006 - Beautiful Ohio
2005 - The Chumscrubber
2004 - Raise Your Voice
2002 - Auto Focus
2001 - The Glass House
1999 - Runaway Bride
1999 - The Story of Us
1998 - Psycho
1996 - Jingle All the Way
1996 - That Thing You Do!
1995 - Now and Then
1994 - Mixed Nuts
1993 - Sleepless in Seattle
1990 - The Bonfire of the Vanities
1989 - Teen Witch
1985 - Volunteers
1980 - Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
1966 - Spinout
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest
Mary Ellen Klane
Rita Wilson (born Margarita Ibrahimoff; October 26, 1956) is an American actress, singer, and producer.
Born in Los Angeles, California. Her mother was born and raised in an ethnic Greek village (Sotirë) in present-day Albania. Her father, born Hassan Halilov Ibrahimoff (March 21, 1920 – March 6, 2009), worked at a race track; he was a Bulgarian Muslim (Pomak), born in Брещене (Breshtene), Western Thrace, and lived in Bulgaria, where his half brother Ferhat still lives. Subsequently, he moved to the United States on May 4, 1949. Wilson's father changed his name from Hassan Ibrahimoff to Allan Wilson in 1960, "Wilson" being the name of a local street in Southern California. Rita was raised Greek Orthodox.
Wilson's career began with a guest appearance on The Brady Bunch in the 1972 episode "Greg's Triangle". She also twice appeared on M*A*S*H in 1982 as Nurse Lacey as well as the sitcoms Three's Company and Bosom Buddies starring her future husband Tom Hanks.
She has appeared in several movies, including Volunteers, Teen Witch, The Bonfire of the Vanities, Barbarians at the Gate, Mixed Nuts, Sleepless in Seattle, Now and Then, That Thing You Do!, Jingle All the Way, Runaway Bride, Invisible Child, The Story of Us, Raise Your Voice, It's Complicated, and Larry Crowne. She played Susan Borman, wife of astronaut Frank Borman, in the HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon. On television, she guest starred in many television series, including Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, The Good Wife, Body of Proof, and Girls.
Wilson has performed on Broadway, where she performed the role of Roxie Hart from June–August 2006 in the revival of Chicago.
She is often credited with being the driving force behind Nia Vardalos's movie deal for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which became the highest-grossing independent film of all time, and for which she served as a producer.
Wilson's long-standing interest in singing led her to record a debut solo album, AM/FM, which she released May 8, 2012, on the Decca Records label. The album featured classics from the 60s and 70s, including a cover of "Wichita Lineman" that she performed with the song's writer-composer, Jimmy Webb.
She has been married to actor 'Tom Hanks' since April 1988, and the couple have two sons, Chester (b. August 4, 1990) and Truman Theodore (b, December 26, 1995). She also has two stepchildren from Tom Hanks' previous marriage, Colin and Elizabeth Ann.
She contributed to the Moffitt Cancer Center by donating "True Hearts" jewelry made of sterling silver and 14k gold. The proceeds will benefit several charities. Wilson credits good friend 'Rosie O'Donnell' as inspiration for her charitable work, particularly with cancer and children's charities. She is a devout member of the Greek Orthodox Church.
- Won a Los Angeles Drama-Logue Award for Best Actress for her stage performance in "As You Like It".
- Older sister, Lily (teacher); and her younger brother, 'Chris Wilson (IX)' (qv) is the composer of My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- Niece, Kristen Reeves, is an entertainment reporter for Orange County TV.
- Her name Margarita is Bulgarian. In Bulgarian Margarita means the flower daisy.
- She originally met 'Tom Hanks' (qv) in 1981 on the set of _"Bosom Buddies" (1980)_ (qv) when she guest-starred as 'Peter Scolari' (qv)'s Satan-worshiping girlfriend. But their relationship wasn't kindled until they were reunited on the set of _Volunteers (1985)_ (qv).
- Her father chose to change their last name to Wilson, because that was the name of the street they lived on.
- Stepmother of 'Colin Hanks' (qv) and 'Elizabeth Hanks' (qv).
- Her niece, 'Carly Reeves' (qv), appears on-screen with her in the movie _Raise Your Voice (2004)_ (qv) starring 'Hilary Duff' (qv).