Feb. 6th, 1931
Rip Torn's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Elmore Rual "Rip" Torn (born February 6, 1931), is an American actor of stage, screen and television.
Torn received an Academy Award nomination as Best Supporting Actor for his role in the 1983 film Cross Creek. His work includes the role of Artie, the producer, on The Larry Sanders Show, for which he was nominated for six Emmy Awards, winning in 1996. Torn also won an American Comedy Award for Funniest Supporting Male in a Series, and two CableACE Awards for his work on the show, and was nominated for a Satellite Award in 1997 as well.
Early life Torn was born Elmore Rudolph Torn (his middle name was later changed) in Temple, Texas, the son of Thelma Mary (née Spacek) and Elmore Rual Torn, an agriculturalist and economist. Being given the name "Rip" is a family tradition of men in the Torn family for several generations. He was a member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets and is a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.
- Was a close friend from boyhood of actor 'Larry Blyden' (qv). As boys, friends would refer to the two as "Torn and Bleedin'," Bleiden being the original spelling of the latter's name.
- Studied acting at the University of Texas.
- (14 March 1997) Reported that he has won a $475,000 defamation suit against 'Dennis Hopper' (qv). Lawsuit came about after remarks made by Hopper on "Tonight Show with Jay Leno, The" (1992)_ on 31 May 1994.
- Was a close friend of actor 'George Peppard' (qv).
- Is the commissioner of the Extreme Dodgeball League on GSN (2005).
- In 1997, he appeared in Men in Black and Hercules. In Men in Black, he plays Zed, the head of the MIB agency. Also in that film, Tommy Lee Jones's character, Kay, is swallowed by a giant cockroach, and escapes by blowing the creature up from the inside. In Hercules, he plays Zeus, chief of the gods. In that film, Hercules is swallowed by the Hydra, and escapes by cutting the creature's head off from inside.
- Father of 'Tony Torn' (qv), 'John Torn' (qv), 'Angelica Torn' (qv) and 'Danae Torn' (qv).
- Grew up in Texas.