Aug. 4th, 1944
Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
Richard Belzer's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1999 - Man on the Moon
1998 - Species II
1996 - A Very Brady Sequel
1994 - The Puppet Masters
1994 - North
1993 - Mad Dog and Glory
1990 - The Bonfire of the Vanities
1989 - Fletch Lives
1988 - The Wrong Guys
1983 - Scarface
1982 - Night Shift
1982 - Author! Author!
1980 - Fame
1974 - The Groove Tube
Guest TV Roles
Det. John Munch
Himself - Comedian
Det. John Munch
A social misfit, was kicked out of every school he ever attended, due to his uncontrollable wit. His mother (Frances) died of breast cancer when Richard was 18. His father (Charles) committed suicide when he was 22. A dedication is written to him in Richard Belzer's "UFO's, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have To Be Crazy To Believe" (Ballantine Books, 1999).
- Was the audience warm-up comedian for "Saturday Night Live" in its premiere season and made three guest appearances on the show in 1976 and 1978.
- He lives in France and speaks fluent French.
- 'Robert De Niro' (qv) studied Belzer for his role in _The King of Comedy (1982)_ (qv).
- Was an assistant emcee for the Comedy Central Presents: The N.Y. Friars Club Roast of 'Rob Reiner' (qv).
- As of 2007, he is the only actor to play the same character in nine different series. He has played Detective John Munch in _"Homicide: Life on the Street" (1993)_ (qv), _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv), _"The X Files" (1993)_ (qv), _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv), _"The Beat" (2000)_ (qv), _"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" (2005)_ (qv), _"Arrested Development" (2003)_ (qv), _"The Wire" (2002)_ (qv), and _"Paris enquêtes criminelles" (2007)_ (qv). He followed 'John Ratzenberger' (qv) and 'George Wendt (I)' (qv), who played Cliff Clavin and Norm Peterson respectively in six series: _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv), _"St. Elsewhere" (1982)_ (qv), _"The Tortellis" (1987)_ (qv), _"Wings" (1990)_ (qv), _"The Simpsons" (1989)_ (qv) and _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv).
- Testified on behalf of a low-level criminal who ran onto the set of _"Homicide: Life on the Street" (1993)_ (qv) while fleeing actual Baltimore police and surrendered to the actors; Belzer said the look on the guy's face was sufficient punishment
- Is a frequent guest on _"The Howard Stern Radio Show" (1998)_ (qv).
- His aunt and uncle ('Henry Winkler' (qv)'s parents) were survivors of the Holocaust.