Aug. 22nd, 1971
Leicester, England, UK
Richard Armitage's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Richard Crispin Armitage (born August 22, 1971) is an English actor known for his roles as John Thornton on the British television programme North & South, Guy of Gisborne in the TV drama Robin Hood, Lucas North in the TV drama Spooks, John Porter in the TV drama Strike Back and as Thorin Oakenshield in the feature film trilogy adaptation of The Hobbit.
Born in Leicester, England, the son of Margaret, a secretary, and John Armitage, an engineer. Armitage attended Huncote Community Primary School in Huncote, Blaby District, Leicestershire. Later at Brockington College in Enderby he studied music, playing the cello in school and local orchestras as well as learning how to play the flute. He pursued this interest to Pattison College in Coventry, where his education expanded to include dance and acting. He gained A Levels in music and English
His first appearance on the screen was in a small role in This Year's Love (1999), but it was Sparkhouse (2002) (TV) that gave him a break-through role as the charming but a bit odd character of John Standring opposite 'Sarah Smart'. After two guest-roles in Cold Feet (1997) in 2003 and Between the Sheets (2003), he landed a role as Steven in Frozen (2005), which eventually led him to play the lead role in the big hit BBC drama North & South (2004). Other than appearing on screen, he has also appeared on stage--in, for example, Macbeth and Hamlet.
Armitage starred in Into the Storm (released in August 2014) from New Line. His character was Gary Morris, a school teacher with two teenage sons. Shooting took place from July to September 2012.
- His older brother's name is Chris.
- At 17, joined a circus in Budapest for six weeks to get his Equity card.
- Started acting career in musical theatre.
- At age 14, he persuaded his parents to send him to a vocational school in Coventry where he could develop his musical talents.
- To get into character as Lee, his role in _"Cold Feet" (1997)_ (qv), he took up aqua aerobics.
- Previous jobs include packing boxes in a warehouse, worked at a laser gun place and took front-of-house jobs in the theatre but continued to go to drama classes.
- He plays the cello, guitar, and flute.
- His parents are John, an engineer, and Margaret, a secretary. Ironically he played the character John Thornton in 'North & South', and his love interest was Margaret Hale.