Aug. 9th, 1976
Paddington, London, England, UK
Rhona Mitra's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Rhona Natasha Mitra (born August 9, 1976), sometimes credited as Rona Mitra, is an English actress, model and singer.
Mitra began her career as a model. She came to prominence as the Lara Croft model between 1997 and 1998. After completing her stint as Lara Croft, she concentrated on acting and is best known for her roles as Holly Marie Begins on the sixth season of Party of Five (1999–2000); as Tara Wilson on the final season of The Practice (2003–2004) and the first and second seasons of Boston Legal (2004–2005); as Detective Kit McGraw on the third season of Nip/Tuck (2005); in the lead role of the science fiction/action film Doomsday as Major Eden Sinclair; as Sonja in Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009); and as Major Rachel Dalton on the third and fourth seasons of Strike Back (2012–2013). She has a lead role as Dr. Rachel Scott in the television series The Last Ship (2014-present).
Born in Paddington, London, England, the daughter of Antony, who is a cosmetic surgeon, and Nora Mitra. She has an older and a younger brother. Her father is of Bengali Indian and English descent, and her mother is Irish. In 1984, when Mitra was eight, her parents divorced, and she was sent to boarding school. She spent several years at two different schools, including Roedean, but Mitra claims she was eventually expelled from both of them.
Mitra's first main role came as Scott Wolf's illicit love interest on Party of Five. In 2000, Mitra had a small, key role in the film Hollow Man, as the rape victim of 'Kevin Bacon', an incident that drives his character insane. She had a main role in medical drama Gideon's Crossing, as Dr. Alejandra 'Ollie' Klein. Mitra then had roles in Ali G Indahouse; Sweet Home Alabama; Stuck on You, and leading roles in Highwaymen and Spartacus. Mitra appeared in the final season of The Practice as Tara Wilson, and continued that role into its spin-off Boston Legal, but left not long into the second season.
In 2005, Mitra played the role of Kit McGraw during Season 3 of Nip/Tuck. Mitra then went on to appear in Skinwalkers, The Number 23 and Shooter.
Mitra was ranked #46 on the Maxim Hot 100 Women of 2001.
- Raised as a Catholic.
- Decided she wanted to be an actor at 9 years old when she met Judi Dench, mother to one of her classmates. "She came to pick her up from school and I remember meeting her and I thought she was such an extraordinary woman. She had this resonance about her. I said, 'What does your mummy do?' and I logged it away." - H Magazine.
- First actress to serve as an original model for Eidos Interactive's Lara Croft (Tomb Raider).
- Parents were Antony Mitra (Bengali Indian) and Nora (Irish). They divorced in 1984.
- Went to Roedean, an all-girls' school in Brighton, East Sussex, but was expelled from it, then from another boarding school. According to Rhona, "I was kicked out for taking a sixth-former's car and driving it down to the local boys' school. I was only 14. I left stuffing under my bedsheets but one of my friends told on me and the headmistress tracked me down. They put me in this room with bars on the windows to punish me. I was stuck in there for a whole week with just a rosary for comfort, having my dinner brought in on trays. The only time I got out was to say confession to the school priest. After that, they booted me out. Then at the next school the other girls used to blame me whenever they got caught for something, so all the parents wrote in and said they didn't want me at the school. I crammed my exams in London and did fine."
- Mitra was ranked #46 on the Maxim Hot 100 Women of 2001.
- Her acting role model is Susan Sarandon.
- Once presented the Pepsi Chart Show (British Channel 5 show) with Dr. Fox.