Aug. 9th, 1976
Paddington, London, England, UK
Rhona Mitra's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
2008 - Doomsday
2007 - The Number 23
2007 - Shooter
2006 - Skinwalkers
2004 - Highwaymen
2003 - Stuck on You
2003 - The Life of David Gale
2002 - Sweet Home Alabama
2002 - Ali G Indahouse
2000 - Hollow Man
2000 - Get Carter
1999 - Beowulf
1998 - Croupier
Guest TV Roles
Holly Marie Beggins
Rhona Mitra was born in Paddington, London, England, the daughter of Antony, who is a cosmetic surgeon, and Nora Mitra. She has an older and a younger brother. Her father is of Bengali Indian and English descent, and her mother is Irish.
In 1984, when Mitra was eight, her parents divorced, and she was sent to boarding school. She spent several years at two different schools, including Roedean, but Mitra claims she was eventually expelled from both of them.
Mitra's first main role came as Scott Wolf's illicit love interest on Party of Five. In 2000, Mitra had a small, key role in the film Hollow Man, as the rape victim of 'Kevin Bacon', an incident that drives his character insane. She had a main role in medical drama Gideon's Crossing, as Dr. Alejandra 'Ollie' Klein. Mitra then had roles in Ali G Indahouse; Sweet Home Alabama; Stuck on You, and leading roles in Highwaymen and Spartacus. Mitra appeared in the final season of The Practice as Tara Wilson, and continued that role into its spin-off Boston Legal, but left not long into the second season.
In 2005, Mitra played the role of Kit McGraw during Season 3 of Nip/Tuck. Mitra then went on to appear in Skinwalkers, The Number 23 and Shooter. In 2008, Mitra starred in the lead role of the science fiction/action film Doomsday as Major Eden Sinclair, and in 2009 went on to star in Underworld: Rise of the Lycans as Sonja, the daughter of the powerful vampire elder Viktor (played by Bill Nighy).
Mitra appeared as the live action model for Lara Croft, the lead character in Eidos Interactive's Tomb Raider video game series. She was ranked #46 on the Maxim Hot 100 Women of 2001.
- Her acting role model is Susan Sarandon.
- Once presented the Pepsi Chart Show (British Channel 5 show) with Dr. Fox.
- First actress to serve as an original model for Eidos Interactive's Lara Croft (Tomb Raider).
- Decided she wanted to be an actor at 9 years old when she met Judi Dench, mother to one of her classmates. "She came to pick her up from school and I remember meeting her and I thought she was such an extraordinary woman. She had this resonance about her. I said, 'What does your mummy do?' and I logged it away." - H Magazine.
- Went to Roedean, an all-girls' school in Brighton, East Sussex, but was expelled from it, then from another boarding school. According to Rhona, "I was kicked out for taking a sixth-former's car and driving it down to the local boys' school. I was only 14. I left stuffing under my bedsheets but one of my friends told on me and the headmistress tracked me down. They put me in this room with bars on the windows to punish me. I was stuck in there for a whole week with just a rosary for comfort, having my dinner brought in on trays. The only time I got out was to say confession to the school priest. After that, they booted me out. Then at the next school the other girls used to blame me whenever they got caught for something, so all the parents wrote in and said they didn't want me at the school. I crammed my exams in London and did fine."
- Raised as a Catholic.
- Mitra was ranked #46 on the Maxim Hot 100 Women of 2001.
- Parents were Antony Mitra (Bengali Indian) and Nora (Irish). They divorced in 1984.