Dec. 22nd, 1962
Ipswich, Suffolk, England, UK
Ralph Fiennes' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Eldest of 6 children born to photographer Mark Fiennes and his wife, Jini - aka Jennifer Lash - a novelist. Siblings are Martha Fiennes, a director; Magnus, a musician; Sophie, a producer; and twins Joseph Fiennes, an actor, and Jacob, a gamekeeper. Foster brother Michael (Mick) is an archaeologist. Cousin is British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Attended Bishop Wordsworth Boys' School, the Chelsea College of Art & Design, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Joined Britain's Royal National Theatre in 1987 and the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1988.
- 4th cousin of Lord Saye & Sele, owner of Broughton Castle, which appears in _Shakespeare in Love (1998)_ (qv) as Viola's house.
- When he noticed that children watching the filming were scared of him as "Voldemort" in _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv), he knew he had the character right.
- He was a guest of a Belgrade Film Festival - FEST 2009.
- Fiennes was reluctant to take the role of Lord Voldemort in _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv). In a television interview on AMC's _"Sunday Morning Shootout" (2003)_ (qv) (November 20, 2005), he claimed to have been unimpressed with the previous three Harry Potter films. Fiennes was apparently nonplussed at the idea of appearing in the fourth film of a series and stated that he had "never bought into [the] world" of Harry Potter. Family members urged him to take the role while other friends counseled against it. He eventually changed his mind after Goblet of Fire director 'Mike Newell (I)' (qv) showed Fiennes preproduction conceptions of what the character of Voldemort might look like: "The little kid in me that likes to dress up and be bad went 'Yeah! I want to do it!'".
- (October 1997) Ranked #34 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- He turned down the lead role in _The Saint (1997)_ (qv).
- Broke up with 'Francesca Annis' (qv) [February 7, 2006].
- Is the oldest of 6 children - younger siblings; 'Martha Fiennes' (qv) (b. 1964), Magnus Hubert Fiennes (b. 1965), Sophia Victoria Fiennes (b. 1967) and Jacob Mark Fiennes & 'Joseph Fiennes' (qv) (fraternal twins) (b. 27 May 1970). He also has a foster brother, Michael Emery (b. 31 Dec 1952) who has been with the family since he was 11.