Dec. 22nd, 1962
Ipswich, Suffolk, England, UK
Ralph Fiennes' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Eldest of 6 children born to photographer Mark Fiennes and his wife, Jini - aka Jennifer Lash - a novelist. Siblings are Martha Fiennes, a director; Magnus, a musician; Sophie, a producer; and twins Joseph Fiennes, an actor, and Jacob, a gamekeeper. Foster brother Michael (Mick) is an archaeologist. Cousin is British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Attended Bishop Wordsworth Boys' School, the Chelsea College of Art & Design, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Joined Britain's Royal National Theatre in 1987 and the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1988.
- When he noticed that children watching the filming were scared of him as "Voldemort" in _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv), he knew he had the character right.
- Appeared in two Best Picture winners from the 1990s: _Schindler's List (1993)_ (qv) and _The English Patient (1996)_ (qv).
- His performance as Amon Goeth from his film _Schindler's List (1993)_ (qv) was ranked #15 on the American Film Institute's Villains list in their compilation of the 100 years of The Greatest Screen Heroes and Villains.
- 4th cousin of Lord Saye & Sele, owner of Broughton Castle, which appears in _Shakespeare in Love (1998)_ (qv) as Viola's house.
- Older brother of 'Martha Fiennes' (qv) and 'Joseph Fiennes' (qv).
- His performance as "Amon Goeth" in _Schindler's List (1993)_ (qv) is ranked #61 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Fiennes was reluctant to take the role of Lord Voldemort in _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv). In a television interview on AMC's _"Sunday Morning Shootout" (2003)_ (qv) (November 20, 2005), he claimed to have been unimpressed with the previous three Harry Potter films. Fiennes was apparently nonplussed at the idea of appearing in the fourth film of a series and stated that he had "never bought into [the] world" of Harry Potter. Family members urged him to take the role while other friends counseled against it. He eventually changed his mind after Goblet of Fire director 'Mike Newell (I)' (qv) showed Fiennes preproduction conceptions of what the character of Voldemort might look like: "The little kid in me that likes to dress up and be bad went 'Yeah! I want to do it!'".
- His nephew, 'Hero Fiennes-Tiffin' (qv), will be playing the 11-year-old version of his character Tom Riddle a.k.a. "Lord Voldemort" in _Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)_ (qv).