Dec. 22nd, 1962
Ipswich, Suffolk, England, UK
Ralph Fiennes' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Eldest of 6 children born to photographer Mark Fiennes and his wife, Jini - aka Jennifer Lash - a novelist. Siblings are Martha Fiennes, a director; Magnus, a musician; Sophie, a producer; and twins Joseph Fiennes, an actor, and Jacob, a gamekeeper. Foster brother Michael (Mick) is an archaeologist. Cousin is British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Attended Bishop Wordsworth Boys' School, the Chelsea College of Art & Design, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Joined Britain's Royal National Theatre in 1987 and the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1988.
- When he noticed that children watching the filming were scared of him as "Voldemort" in _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv), he knew he had the character right.
- A Member of the RADA Council.
- Of the roughly one dozen actors to play "Hamlet" on Broadway, he is the first to win a Tony Award for doing so, in the 1995 Almeida Theatre production directed by 'Jonathan Kent (I)' (qv).
- 8th cousin of 'Prince Charles' (qv).
- Won the 1995 Tony Award (New York City) for Actor in a Drama for "Hamlet" and was nominated for the 2006 Tony Award (New York City) for Actor in a Drama for "Faith Healer".
- His tattoo in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv) took eight hours to apply.
- His uncle, Nicholas Lash, is a former priest and Cambridge theology professor, and his great-uncle, Dom Patrick Moore, is a Benedictine monk.
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#33).