Dec. 22nd, 1962
Ipswich, Suffolk, England, UK
Ralph Fiennes' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Cemetery Junction
2010 - Clash of the Titans
2010 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
2010 - Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
2008 - The Duchess
2008 - The Reader
2008 - In Bruges
2008 - The Hurt Locker
2007 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2006 - Land of the Blind
2005 - The White Countess
2005 - The Constant Gardener
2005 - The Chumscrubber
2005 - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
2005 - Chromophobia
2005 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2002 - Spider
2002 - Red Dragon
2002 - Maid in Manhattan
1999 - The End of the Affair
1999 - Onegin
1999 - Sunshine
1998 - The Avengers
1998 - The Prince of Egypt
1997 - Oscar and Lucinda
1996 - The English Patient
1995 - Strange Days
1994 - Quiz Show
1993 - The Baby of Mâcon
1993 - Schindler's List
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Eldest of 6 children born to photographer Mark Fiennes and his wife, Jini - aka Jennifer Lash - a novelist. Siblings are Martha Fiennes, a director; Magnus, a musician; Sophie, a producer; and twins Joseph Fiennes, an actor, and Jacob, a gamekeeper. Foster brother Michael (Mick) is an archaeologist. Cousin is British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Attended Bishop Wordsworth Boys' School, the Chelsea College of Art & Design, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Joined Britain's Royal National Theatre in 1987 and the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1988.
- Gained several pounds of muscle for his role in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- Filmed his role as Lord Voldemort in _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv) (2005) in only two days.
- Fiennes was reluctant to take the role of Lord Voldemort in _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv). In a television interview on AMC's _"Sunday Morning Shootout" (2003)_ (qv) (November 20, 2005), he claimed to have been unimpressed with the previous three Harry Potter films. Fiennes was apparently nonplussed at the idea of appearing in the fourth film of a series and stated that he had "never bought into [the] world" of Harry Potter. Family members urged him to take the role while other friends counseled against it. He eventually changed his mind after Goblet of Fire director 'Mike Newell (I)' (qv) showed Fiennes preproduction conceptions of what the character of Voldemort might look like: "The little kid in me that likes to dress up and be bad went 'Yeah! I want to do it!'".
- (1995 - 2006) Partner 'Francesca Annis' (qv).
- His uncle, Nicholas Lash, is a former priest and Cambridge theology professor, and his great-uncle, Dom Patrick Moore, is a Benedictine monk.
- Huge fan of Professional Wrestling.
- Name pronounced "Rafe Fines".
- On 3 March 2001, he received the 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv) Award from the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington DC. Past recipients include 'Mel Gibson (I)' (qv), 'Patrick Stewart (I)' (qv), 'Lynn Redgrave' (qv), 'Kenneth Branagh' (qv) and 'Kevin Kline (I)' (qv).