Nov. 12th, 1973
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Radha Mitchell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Crazies
2009 - Surrogates
2008 - Henry Poole Is Here
2008 - The Children of Huang Shi
2007 - Rogue
2007 - Feast of Love
2006 - Silent Hill
2006 - The Half Life of Timofey Berezin
2005 - Mozart and the Whale
2004 - Man on Fire
2004 - Finding Neverland
2004 - Melinda and Melinda
2002 - Phone Booth
2002 - Dead Heat
2001 - Nobody's Baby
2000 - Pitch Black
1998 - High Art
Guest TV Roles
Mitchell began her career starring on ABC TV's Sugar and Spice in 1988. Progressing to Neighbours in 1994, Mitchell played two separate characters over her three-year stint on the show.
In 1997 she starred in two films, High Art and Everything Put Together, both Independent Spirit Award winners. Other films—including Pitch Black opposite Vin Diesel, Phone Booth opposite Colin Farrell, and Man on Fire opposite Denzel Washington—soon followed.
Mitchell gained recognition for her performance in the Academy Award–winning Finding Neverland, which co-starred Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet. This performance earned the cast a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for Outstanding Cast in a Motion Picture.
Mitchell then took the title role in Woody Allen's Melinda and Melinda, followed by a part with Josh Hartnett in Mozart and the Whale and then starred in the movie adaptation of the videogame Silent Hill, which co-starred Laurie Holden and Sean Bean. Though the horror film received mixed reviews from critics, it opened number one at the box office with over $20 million in box office sales. In 2008, Mitchell starred in Rogue with Michael Vartan, as well as Henry Poole Is Here opposite Luke Wilson and The Children of Huang Shi opposite Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.
For her role in Claire McCarthy's The Waiting City, Mitchell won Best Actress in October 2010 at the Antipodes Film Festival, in St. Tropez, France.
She stars on the upcomingclarification needed] ABC drama series Red Widow.
- Despite being Australian, the poster of The Children of Huang Shi, which is Australian-Chinese co-production, advertised "Rahda" as her first name and later it got fixed in time for DVD.
- Sir Mick Jagger persuaded French customs officials to let her into France to attend the Cannes Film Festival when she forgot to bring a visa with her.
- Her mother, who modeled on the Italian catwalk in the 1960s, had become enamored of India in the early '70s.
- Has lived in Los Angeles, California, since 1997.
- Often consults acting coach 'Ivana Chubbuck' (qv).
- Vegetarian and practices yoga.
- Full given name, Radha-Rani, is the name of the true love/main consort of the god Krishna in Hinduism, followed by the word for queen (Rani - from various Indian languages).
- 'Woody Allen' (qv) called her cellular phone personally to offer her the title role in _Melinda and Melinda (2004)_ (qv). Radha was convinced that it was a prank until the script was delivered to her.