Mar. 27th, 1963
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Quentin Tarantino's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
In January of 1992, Reservoir Dogs (1992) appeared at the Sundance Film Festival, by first-time writer-director Quentin Tarantino. The film garnered critical acclaim and the director became a legend immediately. Two years later, he followed up Dogs success with _Pulp Fiction (1994) which premiered at the Cannes film festival, winning the coveted Palme D'Or Award. At the 1995 Academy Awards, it was nominated for the best picture, best director and best original screenplay. Tarantino and writing partner 'Roger Avary' came away with the award only for best original screenplay. In 1995, Tarantino directed one fourth of the anthology _Four Rooms (1995) with friends and fellow auteurs 'Alexandre Rockwell', 'Robert Rodriguez (I)' and 'Allison Anders'. The film opened on December 25th in the United States to very weak reviews. Tarantino's next film was _From Dusk Till Dawn (1996), a vampire/crime story which he wrote and co-starred with 'George Clooney'. The film did fairly well theatrically.
- In all of his original screenplays the name of a police detective named Scagnetti is referred to at least once. Most of the times the particular scene was cut out of the final versions.
- Is of Italian, Irish and Cherokee descent.
- Was offered a chance to direct _Westworld (2009)_ (qv), but turned it down.
- Two of Tarantino's favorite films are _'Manos' the Hands of Fate (1966)_ (which he owns a 35mm copy of) and _Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)_ (qv), which he references in _Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)_ (qv).
- Considers two of his best friends to be 'Paul Thomas Anderson' (qv) and 'Sofia Coppola' (qv).
- Has stated that he would like to direct a James Bond movie at some point in his career.
- In the last Sight & Sound Greatest Films Poll (2002), he listed his Top Ten films as: _Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (1966)_ (qv) (aka "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," Leone), _Rio Bravo (1959)_ (qv) (Hawks), _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv) (Scorsese), _His Girl Friday (1940)_ (qv) (Hawks), _Rolling Thunder (1977)_ (qv) (Flynn), _They All Laughed (1981)_ (qv) (Bogdanovich), _The Great Escape (1963)_ (qv) (J. Sturges), _Carrie (1976)_ (qv) (De Palma), _Coffy (1973)_ (qv) (Hill), _Dazed and Confused (1993)_ (qv) (Linklater), _Tian xia di yi quan (1973)_ (aka "Five Fingers of Death," Chang) and _Hi Diddle Diddle (1943)_ (qv) (Stone).
- His mother was only 16 when she gave birth to him.