Apr. 21st, 1926
London, England, UK
Queen Elizabeth II's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - One Chance
2007 - In the Shadow of the Moon
2005 - Grey Owl
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1992 - Braindead
1987 - Prick Up Your Ears
1981 - The Man Who Saw Tomorrow
1961 - Der Fälscher von London
1939 - The Lion Has Wings
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Coronation 1953
Herself - Buckingham Palace on balcony 1945
Herself - Monarch of England (segment "Oh Lord!")
Herself (Background footage)
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (born on April 21, 1926), in London England to the second son of George V -- Albert, Duke of York and the Duchess of York, the former Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. Her sister 'Princess Margaret' was born 4 years later.
In 1936, when she was 10, her uncle, King Edward VIII (aka 'Duke of Windsor'), caused a stir by abdicating the throne to marry a twice-divorced American named Wallis Warfield Simpson. His brother Albert was next in line to the throne, and he became George VI in honor of his father. She therefore became the Heiress Presumptive, meaning she would become Queen only if her parents did not have a son -- who would be king before her.
At the age of 13, she met 18-year-old 'Prince Philip', her distant cousin. As her grandmother Queen Mary put it with more detail, they were third cousins through their descent from Queen Victoria (they are both great-great grandchildren of hers) second cousins once removed through their descent from King Christian IX of Denmark (her great-grandmother was Christian's daughter, his father was a descendant of his) and fourth cousins through their descent from George III (both of them being descendants of Queen Victoria -- she was his granddaughter).
They fell in love and wanted to get married, but her father wanted to make sure it was real and not just because this was the first person she loved. Before they got married, he renounced his royal title as a Prince of Greece and Denmark, became a British subject, and adopted the surname of his uncle 'Louis Mountbatten'. He was named Duke of Edinburgh shortly before they got married but was not made a Prince of the United Kingdom until 1957. They got married on November 20, 1947. One year later, they had a son, Charles Philip Arthur George. In 1950, they had Anne Elizabeth Alice; in 1960, Prince Andrew; and in 1964, Prince Edward.
When they were in Kenya in 1952, they found out that her father had died of lung cancer so they returned as Queen and Consort. It was a busy time and got even busier. They worked at public engagements and, starting in the late 1970s, became grandparents. Anne had a son name Peter in 1977 and then a daughter named Zara in 1981 with her husband Captain Mark Phillips. Charles had William in 1982 and Henry in 1984 with his wife Diana. Andrew had Beatrice in 1988 and Eugenie in 1990 with his wife Sarah Ferguson. On November 20, 1997, they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with their family and also celebrated the fact that Windsor Castle was reconstructed after a fire in 1992.
- She has owned over 30 corgis over the years, and her four current dogs are named Pharos, Swift, Emma, and Linnet (as of February 2002).
- Son, 'Prince Andrew'' Albert Christian Edward, born Feb. 19, 1960.
- At the time of her coronation, her favorite actors were 'Laurence Olivier' (qv), 'Gary Cooper (I)' (qv) and 'Dirk Bogarde' (qv).
- Not including the United Kingdom, she is Queen of over a dozen countries, including Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Since she does not live in those countries, though she visits often, much of her duties are performed by a Governor General who she appoints on the advice of the Prime Minister of the country in question. It is important to note that neither the sovereign nor the Governors General, have had any hand in governing these countries since the 1930s, and their roles are purely ceremonial.
- Is fluent in French.
- Aunt of David Armstrong-Jones (Viscount Linley) and 'Sarah Armstrong-Jones' (qv).
- Sister of 'Princess Margaret' (qv)
- Granddaughter of 'King George V' (qv) and 'Queen Mary' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb