Jun. 19th, 1948
Houston, Texas, USA
Phylicia Rashad's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born to dentist, Andrew Arthur Allen, and poet, Vivian Ayers, in Harris County, TX. As a child, Phylicia, her older brother Andrew (called Tex) and younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', lived in Mexico to escape US racism. She also has another brother, Hugh Allen (a real estate banker in North Carolina).
Their mother, Vivian Ayers, decided to live there to give the Allen children a brief experience of not having to endure the chronic racism and segregation that was typical of Texas during the 1950s. From this, Phylicia and Debbie are fluent in Spanish.
Phylicia graduated from Howard University and later taught drama there.
With younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', she has production company D.A.D. which stood for Doctor Allen's Daughters. Her Pulitzer-nominated poet mother, Vivian, is the artistic and free spirit that has influenced and encouraged the remarkable creativity that so marks Allen as a performer.
- Became the first African-American actress to win the Best Actress (Play) Tony Award for her 2004 performance as Lena Younger in a revival of 'Lorraine Hansberry' (qv)'s "A Raisin in the Sun". Several Black women have won in the Best Actress (Musical) category, including the late 'Virginia Capers' (qv), who won in 1973 for her portrayal of Lena in the musical adaptation of Hansberry's play called "Raisin."
- Her father and first husband were both dentists.
- Children: Son Billy (born in 1973 - Father: William Lancelot Bowles Jr.), Daughter Condola Phylea (born December 11, 1986 - Father: 'Ahmad Rashad' (qv)), 3 stepchildren (Ahmad's children): daughter Keva (born in 1970), daughter Maiysha (born in 1974) and son Ahmad Jr. (born in 1978).
- Appears in the video pre-show of the "Dinosaur" ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park.
- Aunt of 'Norman Nixon Jr.' (qv) and 'Vivian Nixon' (qv).
- Received an honorary doctorate in Fine Arts from Carnegie Mellon University in 2009.
- Daughter of dentist Arthur Allen and Pulitzer-prize nominated Vivan Ayers ( artist, poet, playwright, and publisher). Older siblings are jazz musician brother Tex (Andrew Arthur Allen Jr, born 1945), younger sister 'Debbie Allen' (qv)(1950), and brother Hugh Allen (real estate banker in North Carolina).
- Phylicia and Debbie both speak Spanish fluently from living in Mexico as children.