Jun. 19th, 1948
Houston, Texas, USA
Phylicia Rashad's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Gods Behaving Badly
2010 - For Colored Girls
2010 - Just Wright
2000 - The Visit
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born to dentist, Andrew Arthur Allen, and poet, Vivian Ayers, in Harris County, TX. As a child, Phylicia, her older brother Andrew (called Tex) and younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', lived in Mexico to escape US racism. She also has another brother, Hugh Allen (a real estate banker in North Carolina).
Their mother, Vivian Ayers, decided to live there to give the Allen children a brief experience of not having to endure the chronic racism and segregation that was typical of Texas during the 1950s. From this, Phylicia and Debbie are fluent in Spanish.
Phylicia graduated from Howard University and later taught drama there.
With younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', she has production company D.A.D. which stood for Doctor Allen's Daughters. Her Pulitzer-nominated poet mother, Vivian, is the artistic and free spirit that has influenced and encouraged the remarkable creativity that so marks Allen as a performer.
- Her mother Dr Vivian Elizabeth Ayers attended Brainerd Institute, Barber Scotia College and Bennett College. Vivian was the first poet in the state of Texas to receive the Pulitzer Prize Award nomination in 1952. Vivian was often called the "Poet Laureate of Texas." In the late 50's, her poetry, "Hawk," attracted the attention of NASA and for twenty years was the only poetry celebrated by NASA. She worked as an apprentice librarian at the Fondren Library of Rice University and was accorded faculty status in 1965, becoming the first African American to be so qualified. During her years at Rice, she organized and published The Adept Quarterly, an important contribution to the small publications movement of the time.
- Nominated for the 2005 Tony Award (New York City) for Actress in a Drama for "Gem of the Ocean".
- Her father and first husband were both dentists.
- Shares a birthday with comic-strip feline "Garfield" who made his newspaper premiere on June 19, 1978, making Phylica Rashad exactly 30 years older than Garfield.
- Children: Son Billy (born in 1973 - Father: William Lancelot Bowles Jr.), Daughter Condola Phylea (born December 11, 1986 - Father: 'Ahmad Rashad' (qv)), 3 stepchildren (Ahmad's children): daughter Keva (born in 1970), daughter Maiysha (born in 1974) and son Ahmad Jr. (born in 1978).
- Her ex-husband, 'Victor Willis (I)' (qv), was a lead singer for 'The Village People' (qv). The two divorced because of Willis' cocaine drug addiction. Sister-in-law of 'Norman Nixon' (qv).
- Appears in the video pre-show of the "Dinosaur" ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park.
- Tied for the 2004 Drama Desk award for Best Actress in a play for "A Raisin in the Sun" with 'Viola Davis (I)' (qv) for "Intimate Apparel".