Jun. 19th, 1948
Houston, Texas, USA
Phylicia Rashad's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born to dentist, Andrew Arthur Allen, and poet, Vivian Ayers, in Harris County, TX. As a child, Phylicia, her older brother Andrew (called Tex) and younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', lived in Mexico to escape US racism. She also has another brother, Hugh Allen (a real estate banker in North Carolina).
Their mother, Vivian Ayers, decided to live there to give the Allen children a brief experience of not having to endure the chronic racism and segregation that was typical of Texas during the 1950s. From this, Phylicia and Debbie are fluent in Spanish.
Phylicia graduated from Howard University and later taught drama there.
With younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', she has production company D.A.D. which stood for Doctor Allen's Daughters. Her Pulitzer-nominated poet mother, Vivian, is the artistic and free spirit that has influenced and encouraged the remarkable creativity that so marks Allen as a performer.
- Appears in the video pre-show of the "Dinosaur" ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park.
- Daughter Condola Phylea - with 'Ahmad Rashad' (qv) - was born on December 11, 1986; 3 days before the Rashads' first wedding anniversary.
- Phylicia and Debbie both speak Spanish fluently from living in Mexico as children.
- Her father and first husband were both dentists.
- Sits on the Board of Directors of Atlanta, GA's Alliance Theatre Company, the largest regional theatre in the Southeastern United States.
- Daughter of dentist Arthur Allen and Pulitzer-prize nominated Vivan Ayers ( artist, poet, playwright, and publisher). Older siblings are jazz musician brother Tex (Andrew Arthur Allen Jr, born 1945), younger sister 'Debbie Allen' (qv)(1950), and brother Hugh Allen (real estate banker in North Carolina).
- Phylicia's _"The Cosby Show" (1984)_ (qv) matriarch, Claire Huxtable, was voted "TV mom closest to your own mom in spirit" by an Opinion Research Corporation poll in April of 2004.
- She and her sister were partly raised in Mexico, which is why they both speak Spanish so fluently.