Jun. 19th, 1948
Houston, Texas, USA
Phylicia Rashad's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born to dentist, Andrew Arthur Allen, and poet, Vivian Ayers, in Harris County, TX. As a child, Phylicia, her older brother Andrew (called Tex) and younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', lived in Mexico to escape US racism. She also has another brother, Hugh Allen (a real estate banker in North Carolina).
Their mother, Vivian Ayers, decided to live there to give the Allen children a brief experience of not having to endure the chronic racism and segregation that was typical of Texas during the 1950s. From this, Phylicia and Debbie are fluent in Spanish.
Phylicia graduated from Howard University and later taught drama there.
With younger sister, 'Debbie Allen', she has production company D.A.D. which stood for Doctor Allen's Daughters. Her Pulitzer-nominated poet mother, Vivian, is the artistic and free spirit that has influenced and encouraged the remarkable creativity that so marks Allen as a performer.
- Aunt of 'Norman Nixon Jr.' (qv) and 'Vivian Nixon' (qv).
- Nominated for the 2005 Tony Award (New York City) for Actress in a Drama for "Gem of the Ocean".
- Recorded the Narration for Epcot's Candlelight Processional Soundtrack, sold all over Walt Disney World during Christmas.
- She and her sister were partly raised in Mexico, which is why they both speak Spanish so fluently.
- Received an honorary doctorate in Fine Arts from Carnegie Mellon University in 2009.
- Daughter Condola Phylea - with 'Ahmad Rashad' (qv) - was born on December 11, 1986; 3 days before the Rashads' first wedding anniversary.
- Her father and first husband were both dentists.
- Daughter of dentist Arthur Allen and Pulitzer-prize nominated Vivan Ayers ( artist, poet, playwright, and publisher). Older siblings are jazz musician brother Tex (Andrew Arthur Allen Jr, born 1945), younger sister 'Debbie Allen' (qv)(1950), and brother Hugh Allen (real estate banker in North Carolina).