Jun. 19th, 1948
Houston, Texas, USA
Phylicia Rashad's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - For Colored Girls
2010 - Just Wright
Guest TV Roles
Dee Dee (Voiced)
The Boss's Wife (Voiced)
Herself - Guest
Born to dentist, Andrew Arthur Allen, and poet, Vivian Ayers, in Harris County, TX. As a child, Phylicia, her older brother Andrew (called Tex) and younger sister, Debbie Allen, lived in Mexico to escape US racism. She also has another brother, Hugh Allen (a real estate banker in North Carolina).
Their mother, Vivian Ayers, decided to live there to give the Allen children a brief experience of not having to endure the chronic racism and segregation that was typical of Texas during the 1950s. From this, Phylicia and Debbie are fluent in Spanish.
Phylicia graduated from Howard University and later taught drama there.
With younger sister, Debbie Allen, she has production company "D.A.D." which stood for "Doctor Allen's Daughters". Her Pulitzer-nominated poet mother, Vivian, is the artistic and free spirit that has influenced and encouraged the remarkable creativity that so marks Allen as a performer.
- Shares a birthday with comic-strip feline "Garfield" who made his newspaper premiere on June 19, 1978, making Phylica Rashad exactly 30 years older than Garfield.
- Is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.
- Recorded the Narration for Epcot's Candlelight Processional Soundtrack, sold all over Walt Disney World during Christmas.
- Sits on the Board of Directors of Atlanta, GA's Alliance Theatre Company, the largest regional theatre in the Southeastern United States.
- She and her sister were partly raised in Mexico, which is why they both speak Spanish so fluently.
- Aunt of 'Norman Nixon Jr.' (qv) and 'Vivian Nixon' (qv).
- Phylicia and Debbie both speak Spanish fluently from living in Mexico as children.
- Her father and first husband were both dentists.