Sep. 10th, 1931
Toledo, Ohio, USA
Guest TV Roles
Old Jimmy Pritchard
Judge Joseph Vinocour
Dr. Donald Douglas
Philip Baker Hall (born September 10, 1931) is an American actor.
Early life Hall was born in Toledo, Ohio, the son of a factory worker father who was from Montgomery, Alabama. He attended the University of Toledo. As a younger man, Hall served in the military, started a family, and became a high school English teacher. In 1961, he decided to become an actor. He moved to New York, enjoying success in Off Broadway and Broadway productions.
Career In 1975, Hall moved to Los Angeles to make a career in television. Since then, he has had over 200 guest roles on television shows.
He starred in many films, including Robert Altman's Secret Honor in which he played the film's only role, Richard Nixon. Hall got his first high-profile film role when Paul Thomas Anderson wrote a role in his film Hard Eight, specifically for Hall. Hall went on to have roles in two of Anderson's subsequent films, Boogie Nights and Magnolia. He also had a minor role as Captain Diel in the Rush Hour trilogy (though his scenes were cut from the theatrical release of Rush Hour 2).
Additionally, Hall has had roles in Midnight Run, Say Anything..., The Rock, The Truman Show, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Bruce Almighty, You Kill Me, In Good Company, Dogville, The Amityville Horror, The Matador, The Sum of All Fears, The Zodiac and Zodiac. More recently, he had a starring role in the 2006–07 Fox sitcom The Loop and had a guest starring role in The West Wing. Hall also appeared as a guest star in the HBO animated series The Life & Times of Tim. He appeared in the 2010 film, All Good Things.
- Is frequently cast by 'Paul Thomas Anderson' (qv).
- Starred alone in Robert Altman's _Secret Honor (1984)_ (qv), a fictional account of 'Richard Nixon' (qv)'s life after the White House, making him one of the few actors to ever carry an entire film.
- Appeared in _The Zodiac (2005)_ (qv) and _Zodiac (2007/I)_ (qv), both about the serial killer nicknamed the Zodiac Killer.
- Philip Baker Hall is one of those character actors who you see all the time but never take note of. However, his portrayal of Mr. Bookman, the library cop in an episode of _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv) has to go down as one of the all time comedy classics. His dead pan delivery about overdue library books, made this episode of _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv) one of their best ever.
- Graduated from the University of Toledo.