Mar. 18th, 1926
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Peter Graves' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2003 - Looney Tunes: Back in Action
1999 - House on Haunted Hill
1993 - Addams Family Values
1982 - Airplane II: The Sequel
1982 - Savannah Smiles
1980 - Airplane!
1975 - Sidecar Racers
1956 - It Conquered the World
1955 - The Night of the Hunter
1954 - Killers from Space
1954 - Black Tuesday
1953 - Stalag 17
1953 - Beneath the 12-Mile Reef
1952 - Red Planet Mars
1951 - Angels in the Outfield
Guest TV Roles
John 'The Colonel' Camden
Himself - Narrator
Senator Keith Ashley
Major Noah Cooper
Maj. Tom Howie
While growing up in Minnesota, Peter Graves excelled at sports and music (as a saxophonist), and by age 16 he was a radio announcer at WMIN in Minneapolis. After two years in the U.S. Air Force, he studied drama at the University of Minnesota and then headed to Hollywood, where he first appeared on television and later made his film debut in Rogue River (1951). Numerous film appearances followed, especially in Westerns. Graves is primarily recognized for his television work, however, particularly as Jim Phelps in "Mission: Impossible" (1966).
- Brother of James Aurness, star of long running Gunsmoke TV series.
- Best remembered by the public for his starring role as "Jim Phelps" in _"Mission: Impossible" (1966)_ (qv).
- He said it was almost over for Captain Oveur before the movie _Airplane! (1980)_ (qv) took flight. Graves said he was astounded when his agent sent him the script for the 1980 spoof, and after reading it, he felt that it was "the worst piece of junk" he had ever seen. However, he changed his mind after meeting with the movie's writers, 'Jerry Zucker' (qv) and 'David Zucker (I)' (qv).
- Uncle of Craig Aurness, 'Rolf Aurness' (qv) and 'Jenny Lee Arness' (qv).
- Daughters with Endress: Kelly, Claudia, and Amanda.
- Ex-brother-in-law of 'Virginia Chapman' (qv).
- Interviewed in "Earth vs. the Sci-Fi Filmmakers" by 'Tom Weaver (I)' (qv) (McFarland, 2005).
- He directed the "Which Dr." episode of _"Gunsmoke" (1955)_ (qv), his older brother 'James Arness' (qv) being the star of that series.