Oct. 10th, 1941
Manhattan, New York, USA
Peter Coyote's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - All Roads Lead Home
2007 - Resurrecting the Champ
2005 - Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
2005 - Deepwater
2005 - Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis
2005 - Berkeley
2005 - Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave
2003 - Bon voyage
2003 - The Hebrew Hammer
2003 - Northfork
2002 - Femme Fatale
2002 - A Walk to Remember
2000 - Erin Brockovich
1999 - Random Hearts
1998 - Sphere
1998 - Top of the World
1998 - Patch Adams
1996 - Unforgettable
1993 - Kika
1992 - Bitter Moon
1987 - Outrageous Fortune
1985 - Jagged Edge
1985 - The Legend of Billie Jean
1982 - E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
1982 - Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann
1981 - Southern Comfort
Guest TV Roles
D.A. Jerry Hardin
President Dave Segovia
[no bio found]
- With Peter unseen (as in voiceovers or radio adverts), his voice is strongly reminiscent of that of 'Henry Fonda' (qv).
- Along with 'Glenn Close' (qv), he narrarated the opening ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah.
- Was a member of the radically political theatre performance group "The San Francisco Mime Troupe".
- Graduated with a B.A in English Literature in 1964.
- Before becoming an actor at the age of 39, he spent 15 years in the counterculture during the 1960s. He wrote a memoir of that time called "Sleeping Where I Fall". It has gone through five hardback printings and is in its second paperback edition. "Carla's Story", a chapter from the book, won the Pushcart Prize for Excellence in Non-Fiction in 1993/1994.
- He was one of the organizers of a group of 12 students who traveled to Washington, DC, during the Cuban missile crisis of the early 1960s supporting President 'John F. Kennedy' (qv)'s "peace race." President Kennedy invited the group into the White House (the first time protesters had ever been so recognized) and they met for several hours with Kennedy advisor 'McGeorge Bundy' (qv).
- In his book Lila, Robert Pirsig relates that he had Coyote in mind to star in an adaptation of, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Coyote was a friend of Pirsig's son Chris.
- Given the actor's unusual second name, it's ironic that, prior to his acting career, he once plucked chickens for a living