Jun. 6th, 1967
New Haven, Connecticut, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Host
Man in Sleeping Bag
George Remus (Voiced)
Paul Edward Valentine Giamatti was born June 6, 1967. He graduated from Choate Rosemary Hall prep school, majored in English at Yale, and obtained his Master's Degree in Fine Arts, with his major in drama from the Yale University School of Drama.
Paul is the youngest of three children. His older brother, Marcus Giamatti, is also an actor. His sister, Elena, designs jewelry. His father, A. Bartlett Giamatti, was a professor of Renaissance Literature at Yale University, and went on to become the university's youngest president. (In 1986, Bart Giamatti was appointed president of baseball's National League. He became Commissioner of Baseball on April 1, 1989 and served for five months until his untimely death on September 1, 1989. He was commissioner at the time Pete Rose was banned from the game.) Paul's mother, the former Toni Smith, was an actress before she married Dr. Giamatti. Paul's father has written six books.
Giamatti's acting roots are in theatre, from his college days at Yale, to regional productions (Seattle, San Diego and Williamstown, Massachusetts) to Broadway.
- Father died in 1989.
- Is a Boston Red Sox fan
- Graduated from Choate Rosemary Hall
- He's the voice talent for 'Tiger Woods' (qv) headcover in a series of Nike Golf commercials
- Is a big fan of science-fiction.
- In the 1998 remake of _Doctor Dolittle (1998)_ (qv), Paul portrayed a human in charge of a talking orangutan, in the 2001 remake of _Planet of the Apes (2001)_ (qv), he portrays a talking orangutan in charge of humans.
- Has one child, a boy named Samuel, born in 2001, with his wife, 'Elizabeth Giamatti' (qv).
- In _Sideways (2004)_ (qv) his character, Miles, looks at a picture of himself as a younger man standing with a man in sunglasses. This is a photo of Paul Giamatti with his father, A. Bartlett Giamatti.