Jun. 6th, 1967
New Haven, Connecticut, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Host
Man in Sleeping Bag
George Remus (Voiced)
Paul Edward Valentine Giamatti was born June 6, 1967. He graduated from Choate Rosemary Hall prep school, majored in English at Yale, and obtained his Master's Degree in Fine Arts, with his major in drama from the Yale University School of Drama.
Paul is the youngest of three children. His older brother, Marcus Giamatti, is also an actor. His sister, Elena, designs jewelry. His father, A. Bartlett Giamatti, was a professor of Renaissance Literature at Yale University, and went on to become the university's youngest president. (In 1986, Bart Giamatti was appointed president of baseball's National League. He became Commissioner of Baseball on April 1, 1989 and served for five months until his untimely death on September 1, 1989. He was commissioner at the time Pete Rose was banned from the game.) Paul's mother, the former Toni Smith, was an actress before she married Dr. Giamatti. Paul's father has written six books.
Giamatti's acting roots are in theatre, from his college days at Yale, to regional productions (Seattle, San Diego and Williamstown, Massachusetts) to Broadway.
- Often plays roles based on real people - _Private Parts (1997)_ (qv), _Man on the Moon (1999)_ (qv), _American Splendor (2003)_ (qv), _Cinderella Man (2005)_ (qv) and _"John Adams" (2008)_ (qv).
- In the 1998 remake of _Doctor Dolittle (1998)_ (qv), Paul portrayed a human in charge of a talking orangutan, in the 2001 remake of _Planet of the Apes (2001)_ (qv), he portrays a talking orangutan in charge of humans.
- Graduated from the Yale University School of Drama with a master's degree in drama
- During the shooting of the upcoming _The Hawk Is Dying (2006)_ (qv), which is mainly about his character and a Red-Tailed Hawk, he became a raptor-enthusiast.
- Son of 'Bart Giamatti' (qv), late president of Yale University, major league baseball commissioner and nemesis of 'Pete Rose' (qv).
- In _Sideways (2004)_ (qv) his character, Miles, looks at a picture of himself as a younger man standing with a man in sunglasses. This is a photo of Paul Giamatti with his father, A. Bartlett Giamatti.
- 'Russell Crowe' (qv) stated in an interview that working with Giamatti was one of his favorite experiences in show business.
- Graduated from Yale University with a degree in English