Jun. 6th, 1967
New Haven, Connecticut, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Host
Man in Sleeping Bag
Paul Edward Valentine Giamatti was born June 6, 1967. He graduated from Choate Rosemary Hall prep school, majored in English at Yale, and obtained his Master's Degree in Fine Arts, with his major in drama from the Yale University School of Drama.
Paul is the youngest of three children. His older brother, Marcus Giamatti, is also an actor. His sister, Elena, designs jewelry. His father, A. Bartlett Giamatti, was a professor of Renaissance Literature at Yale University, and went on to become the university's youngest president. (In 1986, Bart Giamatti was appointed president of baseball's National League. He became Commissioner of Baseball on April 1, 1989 and served for five months until his untimely death on September 1, 1989. He was commissioner at the time Pete Rose was banned from the game.) Paul's mother, the former Toni Smith, was an actress before she married Dr. Giamatti. Paul's father has written six books.
Giamatti's acting roots are in theatre, from his college days at Yale, to regional productions (Seattle, San Diego and Williamstown, Massachusetts) to Broadway.
- He and his wife, 'Elizabeth Giamatti' (qv), own a home in Venice, California.
- Graduated from Choate Rosemary Hall
- Has appeared in three remakes, _Sabrina (1995)_ (qv), _Doctor Dolittle (1998)_ (qv), and _Planet of the Apes (2001)_ (qv).
- The Brooklyn Academy of Music asked Giamatti, its "2007 BAM Cinema Club Chair", to pick films for an eight-movie series called "Paul Giamatti Selects" and shown at the Academy in August and September 2007. His selections indicated a taste for paranoia and "the darkest of dark comedy", according to a writer for The New York Times. Giamatti chose: _Frenzy (1972)_ (qv), _Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)_ (qv), _Brewster McCloud (1970)_ (qv), _The Big Clock (1948)_ (qv), _The Seventh Victim (1943)_ (qv), _Dawn of the Dead (1978)_ (qv), _Seconds (1966)_ (qv), and _Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)_ (qv).
- Is a Boston Red Sox fan
- During the shooting of the upcoming _The Hawk Is Dying (2006)_ (qv), which is mainly about his character and a Red-Tailed Hawk, he became a raptor-enthusiast.
- In _Sideways (2004)_ (qv) his character, Miles, looks at a picture of himself as a younger man standing with a man in sunglasses. This is a photo of Paul Giamatti with his father, A. Bartlett Giamatti.
- Was listed as a potential nominee on the both the 2003 and 2007 Razzie Award nominating ballots. He was listed as a suggestion in the Worst Supporting Actor category on the 2003 ballot for his performance in the film _Big Fat Liar (2002)_ (qv) and in the Worst (Leading) Actor category for his performance in the film _Lady in the Water (2006)_ (qv). He failed to receive either nomination.