Jul. 30th, 1941
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Paul Anka's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2001 - 3000 Miles to Graceland
1992 - Captain Ron
1962 - The Longest Day
1961 - Look in Any Window
1959 - Girls Town
Guest TV Roles
Canadian-born Paul Anka first achieved success in the 1950s as a teenage singing star (and, for the times, an unusual one in that he wrote many of his own songs). Although he appeared in several films, and was quite believable as a nervous, hyper young soldier in The Longest Day (1962) (for which he also composed the theme music), Anka's main interest was music, and he concentrated his efforts into composing (he wrote Frank Sinatra's classic "My Way") and nightclub appearances in Las Vegas.
- Played himself on an episode of _"The Simpsons" (1989)_ (qv).
- "My Way", the song he wrote for 'Frank Sinatra' (qv), is tagged as the "Killer Song" in the Philippines. It's the top pick of drinking buddies in karaoke/videoke bars and when sung off-key, the singer is usually roughed up (or oftentimes shot or stabbed to death) by other drunks in the bar.
- He released a version of the song "Kabhi Kabhie" from the film _Kabhi Kabhie - Love Is Life (1976)_ (qv) starring Indian actor 'Amitabh Bachchan' (qv).
- He is friends with 'Ryan Reynolds (I)' (qv) and meets him once in a while (according to Ryan).
- Anka played Sammy Glick for one week in the Broadway musical, "What Makes Sammy Run?" beginning on July 13, 1964.
- He wrote "Lonely Boy" for his mother, who died of a liver disease.
- He started singing at age 12.
- Has street named after him in Ottawa, Paul Anka Dr.