Jul. 30th, 1941
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Paul Anka's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2001 - 3000 Miles to Graceland
1992 - Captain Ron
1962 - The Longest Day
1961 - Look in Any Window
1959 - Girls Town
Guest TV Roles
Canadian-born Paul Anka first achieved success in the 1950s as a teenage singing star (and, for the times, an unusual one in that he wrote many of his own songs). Although he appeared in several films, and was quite believable as a nervous, hyper young soldier in The Longest Day (1962) (for which he also composed the theme music), Anka's main interest was music, and he concentrated his efforts into composing (he wrote Frank Sinatra's classic "My Way") and nightclub appearances in Las Vegas.
- "My Way", the song he wrote for 'Frank Sinatra' (qv), is tagged as the "Killer Song" in the Philippines. It's the top pick of drinking buddies in karaoke/videoke bars and when sung off-key, the singer is usually roughed up (or oftentimes shot or stabbed to death) by other drunks in the bar.
- Was 'Mel Brooks' (qv) first choice for the role of Leo Bloom in "The Producers." Brooks started writing it as a Broadway play called "Springtime for Hitler," and envisioned Anka as the lead character.
- Father-in-law of actor/director 'Jason Bateman' (qv).
- Had a song duet with 'Regine Velasquez' (qv) titled "It's Hard To Say Goodbye".
- Lorelai Gilmore's dog on _"Gilmore Girls" (2000)_ (qv) is named after him.
- Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1993.
- He released a version of the song "Kabhi Kabhie" from the film _Kabhi Kabhie - Love Is Life (1976)_ (qv) starring Indian actor 'Amitabh Bachchan' (qv).
- He discovered 'Michael BublÚ' (qv), 'Corey Hart (I)' (qv) and 'David Clayton-Thomas' (qv).