Jul. 30th, 1941
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Paul Anka's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2001 - 3000 Miles to Graceland
1992 - Captain Ron
1962 - The Longest Day
1961 - Look in Any Window
1959 - Girls Town
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Canadian-born Paul Anka first achieved success in the 1950s as a teenage singing star (and, for the times, an unusual one in that he wrote many of his own songs). Although he appeared in several films, and was quite believable as a nervous, hyper young soldier in The Longest Day (1962) (for which he also composed the theme music), Anka's main interest was music, and he concentrated his efforts into composing (he wrote Frank Sinatra's classic "My Way") and nightclub appearances in Las Vegas.
- Has street named after him in Ottawa, Paul Anka Dr.
- Lorelai Gilmore's dog on _"Gilmore Girls" (2000)_ (qv) is named after him.
- Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1993.
- Not only did he appear in _The Longest Day (1962)_ (qv), he also composed the main theme for the film.
- Has dual Canadian/American citizenship. Became a U.S. citizen on September 6, 1990.
- Pictured on one of four 52ó Canadian commemorative postage stamps honoring Canadian Recording Artists, issued 29 June 2007. The other stamps pictured 'Gordon Lightfoot' (qv), 'Joni Mitchell' (qv), and 'Anne Murray (I)' (qv).
- He discovered 'Michael BublÚ' (qv), 'Corey Hart (I)' (qv) and 'David Clayton-Thomas' (qv).
- Of Lebanese heritage.