Jan. 29th, 1954
Kosciusko, Mississippi, USA
5' 6 1/2"
Oprah Winfrey's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - It's Complicated
2009 - The Princess and the Frog
2007 - Bee Movie
2007 - Everything's Cool
2007 - Ocean's Thirteen
2006 - Charlotte's Web
1987 - Throw Momma from the Train
1985 - The Color Purple
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Narrator (U.S. Broadcast)
Herself - Friend (segment "Tyler Perry")
[no bio found]
- The given name on her birth certificate is Orpah, but the spelling was eventually changed to Oprah after others had difficulty pronouncing her name.
- Chosen by "People" magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World in 1997.
- Graduated from East Nashville High School in Nashville, Tennessee (1971), where she was voted most popular.
- Winfrey's name was originally "Orpah," after the biblical figure in the book of Ruth. Several different stories allude to the fact that either a misspelling on her birth certificate or a struggle with the pronunciation of her name eventually led to "Oprah" being adopted as her given name.
- (2004) Net worth is estimated to be US$1.1 billion.
- Listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1985" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 37.
- Was sued by Texas cattlemen who claimed that Oprah defamed beef on her talk show. The case went to trial, causing Oprah to have to relocate her show's production to Amarillo, Texas, for the duration of the trial. She was found not liable.
- Was instrumental in the passage of the Oprah Bill, in the early 1990s. The bill was signed into law by President 'Bill Clinton (I)' (qv), and is aimed at stopping child abuse.