Sep. 21st, 1981
Berkeley, California, USA
Nicole Richie's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2016 - As I AM: The Life and Times of DJ AM
2013 - Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's
2005 - Kids in America
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest Judge
Herself - Guest
Herself - Guest Judge
Nicole Richie was born in Berkeley, California. Her biological father is Peter Michael Escovedo, a musician who played for a brief time with Lionel Richie, and her biological mother Karen was the executive assistant for her aunt Sheila E. At the age of three, her parents agreed to let her move in with Lionel Richie and Brenda Harvey because they could not afford to provide for her financially. "My parents were friends with Lionel," she told People in 2003. "They trusted that they would be better able to provide for me." Initially, Lionel Richie became her guardian.
Richie was legally adopted by Lionel and Brenda when she was nine years old. Shortly after the adoption was formalized, Lionel's affair with another woman became public knowledge. Lionel and Brenda went through a bitter, public split. As a result, they indulged Nicole's every whim. "Their way of making me happy was to say yes to everything I wanted, but I don't think a little girl should have that much freedom," said Richie in an interview with Vanity Fair. Following the divorce, Lionel remarried and gave Nicole two younger siblings; Myles (b. 1994) and Sofia (b. 1998). Richie has one godmother, Nancy Davis, daughter of Marvin Davis and mother of Brandon Davis. Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson were each Richie's godfathers. Jones said in a People magazine interview that he has "known Nicole Richie since she was a baby. She's a very smart girl".
In 1986, Richie attended The Buckley School in Sherman Oaks, California, where she met Paris Hilton. Richie graduated from Montclair College Preparatory School in 1999 and then attended the University of Arizona alongside Kourtney Kardashian and Luke Walton, where she studied Arts and Media. Richie did not have a definitive study plan in Arizona, and eventually dropped out after two years and returned to California.
- Graduated from Montclair College Prep School.
- Her album will be coming out in early 2005.
- Biological father is believed to be 'Peter Michael Escovedo' (qv) and a reunion was staged on _"The Wayne Brady Show" (2002)_ (qv). But Nicole has stated in interviews that Escovedo is not her birth father.
- Named #37 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2005 list.
- Has an exotic Bengal cat named Chi-Chi-Cheeta.
- Was offered and accepted the chance to star in _"The Simple Life" (2003)_ (qv) with her pal 'Paris Hilton' (qv) after 'Nicky Hilton (I)' (qv) turned it down.
- Was adopted by 'Lionel Richie (I)' (qv) and his then-wife Brenda Harvey-Richie in 1990 and renamed Nicole Richie.
- Has hypoglycemia.