Feb. 8th, 1941
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Guest TV Roles
Captain Alan Melder
Nick Nolte was born in Omaha, Nebraska and began his career on stage at the Pasadena Playhouse and in regional theater productions. His breakthrough role was in the TV mini-series "Rich Man, Poor Man" (1976), playing the role of "Tom/Tommy Jordache". Nick Nolte said that when he played a young man in the early scenes of the project, he weighed about 160 pounds. When he played a middle aged man in the later scenes, he weighed over 180 pounds.
- Was cast in _Pride and Glory (2008)_ (qv), but just before shooting began, an old knee injury flared up from his footballing days and he had to drop out.
- He eagerly pursued the role of Cpt. Willard in _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv). When 'Harvey Keitel' (qv) was fired, Nolte thought he had the part, but Coppola gave it to 'Martin Sheen' (qv).
- His paternal grandfather was a German farmer with a farm in Iowa.
- Was supposed to host _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) back in 1982 as part of the promotional tour for _48 Hrs. (1982)_ (qv), which was the film debut of then _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) star 'Eddie Murphy (I)' (qv), but fell ill at the last minute and had to drop out, so Murphy hosted in his place.
- Considered for the lead in _The Thing (1982)_ (qv).
- He, along with 'Christopher Walken' (qv), were both considered for the role of Han Solo in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv).
- Is of German, Swedish, Irish and Italian descent.
- Turned down the role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).