Feb. 8th, 1941
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Guest TV Roles
Captain Alan Melder
Nick Nolte was born in Omaha, Nebraska and began his career on stage at the Pasadena Playhouse and in regional theater productions. His breakthrough role was in the TV mini-series "Rich Man, Poor Man" (1976), playing the role of "Tom/Tommy Jordache". Nick Nolte said that when he played a young man in the early scenes of the project, he weighed about 160 pounds. When he played a middle aged man in the later scenes, he weighed over 180 pounds.
- Nolte was a heavy drinker until 1990. When 'Katharine Hepburn' (qv) accused him of falling down drunk in every gutter in town, he replied: "I've got a few to go yet."
- Lives in Malibu, California.
- Considered for the lead in _The Thing (1982)_ (qv).
- His career started in Minneapolis, Minnesota at the 'Eleanor Moore' (qv) Agency as a model for print ads.
- In September 2002, he checked himself into Silver Hill Hospital in Connecticut for counselling after he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving in Malibu, CA a few days earlier. Tests later showed that he was under the influence of GHB, the "date rape" drug.
- Visited Sarajevo Film Festival (Bosnia, 8/2006)
- His paternal grandfather was a German farmer with a farm in Iowa.
- Is of German, Swedish, Irish and Italian descent.