Feb. 8th, 1941
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Guest TV Roles
Captain Alan Melder
Nick Nolte was born in Omaha, Nebraska and began his career on stage at the Pasadena Playhouse and in regional theater productions. His breakthrough role was in the TV mini-series "Rich Man, Poor Man" (1976), playing the role of "Tom/Tommy Jordache". Nick Nolte said that when he played a young man in the early scenes of the project, he weighed about 160 pounds. When he played a middle aged man in the later scenes, he weighed over 180 pounds.
- Nolte's father, Franklin A. Nolte, was an All-American candidate at Iowa State in 1934. He served in the Pacific Theater in World War II, with the elite US Marine Raiders. When he was discharged, he went home to his family, but according to Nick Nolte, he was a different man and didn't speak often. Nolte consulted his father while preparing for _Who'll Stop the Rain (1978)_ (qv) where he played a Vietnam veteran.
- Father of 'Brawley Nolte' (qv).
- His father, Frank Nolte, was an irrigation pump salesman. His father was also an All-American candidate at Iowa State in 1934. His mother, Helen Nolte, was a department store buyer. He has an older sister, Nancy, who is the executive for Red Cross.
- He, along with 'Christopher Walken' (qv), were both considered for the role of Han Solo in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv).
- Is of German, Swedish, Irish and Italian descent.
- Lives in Malibu, California.
- His career started in Minneapolis, Minnesota at the 'Eleanor Moore' (qv) Agency as a model for print ads.
- In 1978 Karen Ecklund, his girlfriend of 5 years, sued him for community property and support.