Oct. 30th, 1970
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Nia Long's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Nia Long was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Doc and Talita Long. Nia's parents divorced when she was a little over two years old. She moved with her mother to Iowa City, Iowa, where her mother studied fine arts, and then to a lower-middle-class South Central Los Angeles neighborhood when Nia was seven. She attended Catholic school for a while and studied ballet, tap, jazz, gymnastics, guitar and acting. Due to the lack of employment opportunities in the Arts in Los Angeles when Nia and Talita first arrived there, Talita took various low-paying jobs, in spite of being equipped with two master's degrees, that resulted in financial straits for the mother and daughter. Nia's motivation to be successful was driven by her desire to help ease her mother's financial burden.
- She and Massai Z. Dorsey were to wed in June 2001, but ended their relationship before getting married to each other.
- Nia & beau, Massai Dorsey, have announced that they are expecting their first child in November 2000. They also announced that they will wed in June 2001.
- Was a registered Girl Scout.
- Nia is of Trinidadian descent.
- Career got started by 'Betty A. Bridges' (qv), mother of actor 'Todd Bridges' (qv). Betty was her acting coach for 15 years.
- First child Massai Zhivago Dorsey II, with 'Massai Z. Dorsey' (qv) was born on November 26th, 2000 in Los Angeles.
- Half-sister of comedian Sommore.
- She beat out Jada Pinkett (Will Smith's future wife) for the role of Lisa on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air".