Oct. 30th, 1970
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Nia Long's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Nia Long was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Doc and Talita Long. Nia's parents divorced when she was a little over two years old. She moved with her mother to Iowa City, Iowa, where her mother studied fine arts, and then to a lower-middle-class South Central Los Angeles neighborhood when Nia was seven. She attended Catholic school for a while and studied ballet, tap, jazz, gymnastics, guitar and acting. Due to the lack of employment opportunities in the Arts in Los Angeles when Nia and Talita first arrived there, Talita took various low-paying jobs, in spite of being equipped with two master's degrees, that resulted in financial straits for the mother and daughter. Nia's motivation to be successful was driven by her desire to help ease her mother's financial burden.
- She beat out Jada Pinkett (Will Smith's future wife) for the role of Lisa on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air".
- First child Massai Zhivago Dorsey II, with 'Massai Z. Dorsey' (qv) was born on November 26th, 2000 in Los Angeles.
- Nia is of Trinidadian descent.
- Was a registered Girl Scout.
- Career got started by 'Betty A. Bridges' (qv), mother of actor 'Todd Bridges' (qv). Betty was her acting coach for 15 years.
- She and Massai Z. Dorsey were to wed in June 2001, but ended their relationship before getting married to each other.
- Half-sister of comedian Sommore.
- Voted one of the 50 most beautiful people in the World 2000 by People Magazine