Jun. 15th, 1973
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Neil Patrick Harris' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - A Million Ways to Die in the West
2014 - Gone Girl
2010 - Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
2009 - Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
2008 - Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
2004 - Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle
2002 - Undercover Brother
2000 - The Next Best Thing
1998 - The Proposition
1997 - Starship Troopers
1995 - Animal Room
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Jack Sparrow (Voiced)
Ray Thompson (Voiced)
Dr. Blowhole (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest Judge
Neil Patrick Harris (born June 15, 1973) is an American actor, producer, singer, and director. He is best known for the title role in Doogie Howser, M.D., the womanizing Barney Stinson in How I Met Your Mother, a fictionalized version of himself in the Harold & Kumar series, and the title role in Joss Whedon's musical web series Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.
Harris was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and grew up in Ruidoso, New Mexico. His parents, Sheila (Scott) and Ron Harris, ran a restaurant. He attended La Cueva High School in Albuquerque, where he acted in school plays and musicals. Harris graduated as an honors student in 1991.
Harris began his career as a child actor and was discovered by playwright Mark Medoff at a drama camp in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Medoff later cast him in his 1988 film Clara's Heart, a drama starring 'Whoopi Goldberg' based on the novel of the same name by Joseph Olshan. Clara's Heart earned Harris a Golden Globe nomination. The same year he starred in Purple People Eater, a children's fantasy.
In 1989, Harris won the lead role in Doogie Howser, M.D., for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe. After the show's four-season run ended in 1993, Harris played a number of guest roles on television series, including Murder She Wrote (1999-2000) and he starred with 'Tony Shalhoub' in the NBC sitcom Stark Raving Mad, which lasted 22 episodes.
Harris has taken lead roles in a number of made-for-television features including Snowbound: The Jim and Jennifer Stolpa Story (1994), My Ántonia (1995), The Christmas Wish (1998), Joan of Arc (1999), The Wedding Dress (2001), and The Christmas Blessing (2005).
After a string of made-for-television movies, Harris acted in his first big screen roles in nine years, Starship Troopers (1997) with 'Casper Van Dien' and then The Proposition (1998). In July 1997, Harris accepted the role of Mark Cohen for the Los Angeles production of the beloved musical, Rent (2005). His performance in Rent garnered him a Drama-League Award in 1997. He continued in the musical, to rave reviews, until January 1998. He later reprised the role for six nights in his hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico, in December 1998.
Harris has continued his stage work, making his "Broadway" debut in 2001 in Proof. He has also appeared on stage in Romeo and Juliet, Cabaret, Sweeney Todd and, most recently, Assassins.
In 2005, Harris returned to the small screen in a guest-starring role on Numb3rs (2005) and a starring role in the sitcom How I Met Your Mother (2005).
Harris was named as one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in 2010, and was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (September 2011). Harris has also hosted the Tony Awards on Broadway in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Harris confirmed that he is gay in November 2006 by saying, "I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love".
Harris attended the Emmy awards September 2007 with his fiancé David Burtka, later confirming the relationship, which he said began in 2004, in an interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. On August 14, 2010, Harris announced that he and Burtka were expecting twins via a surrogate mother. The fraternal twins Gideon Scott, a boy, and Harper Grace, a girl, were (born in 2010).
Following the passage of the Marriage Equality Act in New York on June 24, 2011, Harris and Burtka announced their engagement via Twitter, stating that they had proposed to each other five years earlier but kept the engagement secret until same-sex marriage became legal.
In A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas, a joke refers to his coming out. As his persona in the film is heterosexual and womanizing, he is presented as only pretending to be gay so that women will find him less intimidating at first. Burtka also played himself, as Harris's secret drug dealer.
- Enjoys Red Bull so much on and off the set of _"How I Met Your Mother" (2005)_ (qv) that he was given a lifetime supply of it and a mini-refrigerator by the company that makes the drink because of the amount of free advertising he has given it.
- Typically, actors playing themselves on film are listed "as Himself" in the film's credits. Due to the over-the-top, outlandish nature of his role in _Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004)_ (qv) and _Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (2008)_ (qv), he requested that his credit read "Neil Patrick Harris" instead of "as Himself". This was to make clear that he was playing a fictional character that was in no way a true representation of himself.
- He was the "Not My Job" guest on the April 5, 2008, episode of the National Public Radio quiz show "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!".
- Both of his parents are lawyers.
- Is an avid Les Miserables fan, and performed the song "The Confrontation" with his co-star 'Jason Segel' (qv) (both of _"How I Met Your Mother" (2005)_ (qv) fame) live on _"The Megan Mullally Show" (2006)_ (qv). He performed the role of Javert, to wild cheers from the audience.
- According to an oral history of _"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" (2008)_ (qv) published in July 2008 in Entertainment Weekly, he auditioned to play the doctor role on _"Firefly" (2002)_ (qv) that was eventually filled by 'Sean Maher (I)' (qv).
- Has sung since he was a child. His father played the folk guitar and together they entertained.
- Has been in a committed relationship with stage and screen actor 'David Burtka' (qv), his companion since 2004.