Dec. 11th, 1973
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 9 1/2
Mos Def's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Life of Crime
2014 - Begin Again
2009 - Next Day Air
2008 - Cadillac Records
2008 - Be Kind Rewind
2006 - Dave Chappelle's Block Party
2006 - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
2006 - 16 Blocks
2006 - Journey to the End of the Night
2006 - Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats & Rhymes
2005 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2004 - The Woodsman
2003 - The Italian Job
2002 - Showtime
2002 - Brown Sugar
2001 - Monster's Ball
2000 - Bamboozled
1991 - The Hard Way
Guest TV Roles
Monty the card hustler
Taking a cue from the Afrocentric stylings of the Native Tongues crew, which included 'De La Soul', Jungle Brothers, A Tribe Called Quest and Andres Titus, Mos Def has emerged as one of the more conscientious voices of new school hip-hop, alongside the likes of Common, 'Outkast', Goodie Mob and The Roots, to name just a few. A lyricist lounge staple, he gained acclaim appearing on recordings by De La Soul and Bush Babees before releasing the single "Universal Magnetic" in 1997. Since then he has appeared on numerous recordings with several crews, including Medina Green and Black Star (of which he is half). His full-length debut album, "Black On Both Sides", was released in 1999 and is destined to achieve classic status.
- Has starred in two movies with 'Alan Rickman' (qv): _Something the Lord Made (2004) (TV)_ (qv) and _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)_ (qv).
- His name is quite appropriate in regards to his character in _The Italian Job (2003)_ (qv), who went deaf after blowing up a toilet.
- His first music group was Urban Thermo Dynamics, which also included his younger brother and sister. They recorded an album in 1995 but it was shelved. It was finally released in 2004.
- Is a vegetarian.
- Hip-hop artist.
- Name, Mos Def, is a slang term that means "most definitely."
- Performed a song with Britsh artists 'Craig David' (qv) that was only released on the radio. It was called 7 Days Later - a remix of 'Craig David' (qv)'s number 1 hit 7 Days.