Sep. 16th, 1964
Shaker Heights, Ohio, USA
Molly Shannon's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - What Goes Up
2008 - Igor
2007 - Evan Almighty
2006 - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
2006 - Scary Movie 4
2006 - Marie Antoinette
2003 - My Boss's Daughter
2003 - American Splendor
2003 - Good Boy!
2001 - Wet Hot American Summer
2001 - Osmosis Jones
2001 - Shallow Hal
2001 - Serendipity
2000 - The Grinch
2000 - My 5 Wives
1999 - Superstar
1999 - Analyze This
1999 - Never Been Kissed
1998 - Happiness
1998 - A Night at the Roxbury
1996 - Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace
1989 - The Phantom of the Opera
Guest TV Roles
Before "Saturday Night Live" (1975), Molly Shannon had a struggling career in films. She gained notice as Meg in the present day sequences in the horror film remake of The Phantom of the Opera (1989) with Robert Englund and Jill Schoelen, which was a major hit in 1989. Her big break came in 1995 when she joined the cast of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), where she played various characters, the best known of which was Mary Katharine Gallagher. After her departure from SNL she refocused on a film career. She again played Mary Katharine Gallagher in Superstar (1999) and had a supporting role in Never Been Kissed (1999). Her more recent films include How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), Shallow Hal (2001), The Santa Clause 2 (2002), Serendipity (2001) and Osmosis Jones (2001).
- (March 2003) Became engaged to Fritz Chesnut - an artist.
- She is from the neighborhood in Ohio as 'Paul Newman (I)' (qv), 'Fred Willard' (qv) and 'David Wain' (qv).
- Graduated from Hawken School in Chesterland, Ohio, June 1983, where she was a classmate of actress Greer Goodman.
- Appeared in 'Sheryl Crow' (qv)'s 1997 video "A Change Would Do You Good"
- (1998) Broke up with longtime boyfriend screenwriter 'Neal Brennan' (qv).
- (15 March 2005) Had a second baby, a boy, named Nolan Shannon Chesnut
- Presented at the 2000 GLAAD Media Awards for films and TV shows that accurately portray gay and lesbian characters.
- Wore an off-white "garden dress" designed by SNL wardrobe department head Dale Richards in her May 2004 wedding to Fritz Chesnut.