Sep. 16th, 1964
Shaker Heights, Ohio, USA
Molly Shannon's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Before "Saturday Night Live" (1975), Molly Shannon had a struggling career in films. She gained notice as Meg in the present day sequences in the horror film remake of The Phantom of the Opera (1989) with Robert Englund and Jill Schoelen, which was a major hit in 1989. Her big break came in 1995 when she joined the cast of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), where she played various characters, the best known of which was Mary Katharine Gallagher. After her departure from SNL she refocused on a film career. She again played Mary Katharine Gallagher in Superstar (1999) and had a supporting role in Never Been Kissed (1999). Her more recent films include How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), Shallow Hal (2001), The Santa Clause 2 (2002), Serendipity (2001) and Osmosis Jones (2001).
- (28 September 2003) Molly & Fritz welcomed their first child, a girl named Stella Shannon Chestnut.
- Graduated from NYU in 1987.
- (15 March 2005) Had a second baby, a boy, named Nolan Shannon Chesnut
- Presented at the 2000 GLAAD Media Awards for films and TV shows that accurately portray gay and lesbian characters.
- She is from the neighborhood in Ohio as 'Paul Newman (I)' (qv), 'Fred Willard' (qv) and 'David Wain' (qv).
- (March 2003) Became engaged to Fritz Chesnut - an artist.
- Graduated from Hawken School in Chesterland, Ohio, June 1983, where she was a classmate of actress Greer Goodman.
- Was in a car crash at age 4 that killed her 34 year old mother, her 3 year old sister, and a 25 year old cousin. She has used that as a motivation for her life.