Sep. 16th, 1964
Shaker Heights, Ohio, USA
Molly Shannon's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Life After Beth
2009 - What Goes Up
2008 - Igor
2007 - Evan Almighty
2006 - Scary Movie 4
2006 - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
2006 - Marie Antoinette
2003 - American Splendor
2003 - Good Boy!
2001 - Serendipity
2001 - Shallow Hal
2001 - Wet Hot American Summer
2001 - Osmosis Jones
2000 - My 5 Wives
2000 - The Grinch
1999 - Never Been Kissed
1999 - Superstar
1999 - Analyze This
1998 - Happiness
1998 - A Night at the Roxbury
1996 - Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace
1989 - The Phantom of the Opera
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Before "Saturday Night Live" (1975), Molly Shannon had a struggling career in films. She gained notice as Meg in the present day sequences in the horror film remake of The Phantom of the Opera (1989) with Robert Englund and Jill Schoelen, which was a major hit in 1989. Her big break came in 1995 when she joined the cast of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), where she played various characters, the best known of which was Mary Katharine Gallagher. After her departure from SNL she refocused on a film career. She again played Mary Katharine Gallagher in Superstar (1999) and had a supporting role in Never Been Kissed (1999). Her more recent films include How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), Shallow Hal (2001), The Santa Clause 2 (2002), Serendipity (2001) and Osmosis Jones (2001).
- Dated songwriter and guitarist 'James Patrick Whalen Jr.' (qv).
- BFA in Drama - New York University, Tisch School of the Arts (1987)
- (1998) Broke up with longtime boyfriend screenwriter 'Neal Brennan' (qv).
- (15 March 2005) Had a second baby, a boy, named Nolan Shannon Chesnut
- Appeared in 'Sheryl Crow' (qv)'s 1997 video "A Change Would Do You Good"
- (28 September 2003) Molly & Fritz welcomed their first child, a girl named Stella Shannon Chestnut.
- She is from the neighborhood in Ohio as 'Paul Newman (I)' (qv), 'Fred Willard' (qv) and 'David Wain' (qv).
- Was in a car crash at age 4 that killed her 34 year old mother, her 3 year old sister, and a 25 year old cousin. She has used that as a motivation for her life.