Nov. 16th, 1972
Houston, Texas, USA
Missi Pyle's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Pyle, the daughter of Linda and Frank Pyle, was born in Houston, Texas and raised in Memphis, Tennessee. She has two older sisters, Debbie and Julie, two older brothers, Sam and Paul, one younger half-brother, Gordon, and a half-sister, Meredith.citation needed] Pyle attended the North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and graduated in 1995. For her achievements, Pyle was honored by the Poplar Pike Playhouse at her alma mater Germantown High School in Germantown, Tennessee.
Pyle has guest starred on many television shows, including Heroes, Mad About You, Boston Legal, Frasier, and The Sarah Silverman Program. She started her film career with a minor role in As Good as It Gets, starring Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson. After her breakout role in Galaxy Quest, she had supporting roles in Bringing Down the House (for which she and Queen Latifah were nominated for an MTV Movie Award for Best Fight), Josie and the Pussycats, Home Alone 4, Exposed, Big Fish, Along Came Polly, Soul Plane, Stormbreaker, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. She was also the female lead in BachelorMan. Barely recognizable, she appears in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. She also had a brief appearance in 50 First Dates.
Pyle plays Jake's Elementary School teacher Ms. Pasternak on Two and a Half Men. The role was recast in 2009 for unknown reasons, but Pyle returned to the series in the same role for 2010.
In 2008, Missi starred in the Broadway play Boeing-Boeing opposite Christine Baranski, Mark Rylance, Greg Germann, Paige Davis and Rebecca Gayheart. The play closed in January 2009.
She is currently part of a country music group with actress Shawnee Smith called Smith & Pyle. The two actresses met while filming an ABC comedy pilot titled Traveling in Packs. The band started after Smith invited Pyle to join her in attending the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. While stuck in traffic, Pyle talked about her dream to be a rock star and Smith agreed to form a band with her.
Pyle married Casey Anderson, a grizzly bear specialist for National Geographic, on September 12, 2008. The wedding was country-western themed and took place in Montana. Wedding guests included bandmate Shawnee Smith and comedian Steve Agee. Anderson's grizzly bear, Brutus the bear, served as his best man in the ceremony. Pyle and Anderson appeared in "Grizzly Dogs", the October 22, 2010 episode of Dog Whisperer, in which they sought the help of Cesar Milan to rehabilitate their dog.
Pyle "married" actress and bandmate Shawnee Smith in a faux ceremony at the All Love is Equal Launch Party in West Hollywood on November 18, 2009. The two actresses pretended to get married in support of repealing Prop 8 in California. Actor Hal Sparks dressed as a priest and performed the ceremony with them using rainbow-colored hula hoops as rings.
- In the mid-1990s, played the "black widow" character at the interactive theme restaurant, Jekyll and Hyde, in New York City.
- 1991 graduate of Germantown (Tennessee) High School (where 'Chris Parnell (I)' (qv) graduated in 1985). Appeared in school's GHS-TV cable access station and Poplar Pike Playhouse Theatre.
- Ranked #98 in Maxim's '100 Sexiest Women' (2004)
- Casey Shively's 800-pound grizzly bear Brutus, which he raised since it was a baby, was a guest at their wedding.
- Attended the North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- Was scheduled to ring the closing bell of the New York Stock Exchange on Monday, September 29, 2008 - a day when the Dow Jones industrial average dropped 778 points - but decided not to so as to "let the day be about the market and not about having a celebrity ring the bell.".
- Missi teamed up with fellow actress, Shawnee Smith of the Saw franchise, to start the band Smith & Pyle, who tour regularly throughout California and the West Coast, as well as performing at conventions for fans. They're a smooth blend of Southern Rock and sarcasm.