Dec. 16th, 1967
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Miranda Otto's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - War of the Worlds
2004 - Flight of the Phoenix
2004 - In My Father's Den
2003 - Danny Deckchair
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - Doctor Sleep
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - Human Nature
2000 - What Lies Beneath
1998 - The Thin Red Line
1992 - The Last Days of Chez Nous
Guest TV Roles
Miranda Otto (born 16 December 1967) is an Australian actress. The daughter of actors Barry and Lindsay Otto and the sister of Gracie Otto, she began acting at age nineteen, and has performed in a variety of low-budget and major studio films.
Her first major film appearance was in the 1986 film Emma's War, in which she played a teenager who moves to Australia's bush country during World War II. After a decade of critically acclaimed roles in Australian films, she gained Hollywood's attention after appearing in supporting roles in The Thin Red Line (1998) and What Lies Beneath (2000). Her breakthrough role came in 2002, when she portrayed ├ëowyn in The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Her private life, including her relationships with actors Richard Roxburgh and Peter O'Brien, has been discussed in the media. In 2008, she starred in the now-cancelled American television series Cashmere Mafia and will appear in the film In Her Skin.
- Sister of actress 'Gracie Otto' (qv).
- Won the 2003 Australian Entertainment "Mo" Award for Best Actress in a Play for "A Doll's House."
- (1 April 2005) Gave birth to her first child, a girl, named Darcey in Australia. Her husband, who was unable to attend the birth, watched via web cam from America.
- Won the role of ╔owyn in _The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)_ (qv) and _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv) after 'Alison Doody' (qv) refused the role so she could have a baby.
- Miranda is a graduate of the prestigious Australian theatrical school NIDA, (the same facility which boasts such luimnaries as 'Mel Gibson (I)' (qv) and 'Judy Davis (I)' (qv))
- Was named after the character Miranda in William Shakespeare's "The Tempest".
- Gave up studying a medical career to pursue acting.
- In the fight scenes from the "Lord of the Rings" movies, her costume (armor) was very heavy, weighing 8 to 10 kilos (22 lbs.).