93 (passed away Mar. 27th, 2002)
Jul. 12th, 1908
New York City, New York, USA
5' 10 1/2"
Milton Berle's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project
1991 - Driving Me Crazy
1989 - Going Overboard
1985 - Pee-wee's Big Adventure
1984 - Broadway Danny Rose
1979 - The Muppet Movie
1975 - Lepke
1965 - The Loved One
1963 - It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
1961 - The Ladies Man
1960 - The Bellboy
1960 - Let's Make Love
1960 - The Bellboy
1941 - Sun Valley Serenade
1920 - The Mark of Zorro
1917 - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Texaco Star Theater
Harry (segment "Love and the Vacation")
Milton was educated at New York Professional Children's School, and began performing at age 5. His first stage appearance was in "Florodora"in Atlantic City. He appeared at the Palace Theatre in New York in 1931, then in night clubs and theatres. He appeared in the Broadway musicals "Saluta", "See My Lawyer", and "Ziegfeld Follies of 1943". His television debut was on experimental scanning-wheel television in Chicago in 1929. By 1934 he was on radio.
- Godfather of musician 'Billy Sherwood' (qv).
- Had a long-time joking rivalry with Bishop 'Fulton J. Sheen' (qv) ("Uncle Fultie"), whose TV show was on opposite his for many years ("He stayed on longer than I did because, let's face it, he had better writers. Mark, Luke ...").
- Berle co-wrote, with 'Ben Oakland (I)' (qv), the title song for the 1940 film _Li'l Abner (1940)_ (qv).
- Stepfather-in-Law of 'Richard Moll' (qv).
- Was a regular on the "Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts".
- Credits his survival as a television icon with his 30 year contract with NBC ('Groucho Marx' (qv) once joked about this saying: "30 years with NBC? That's not a contract. That's a sentence!").
- Always opened his show by making an entrance in a different costume each week.
- In 1947, Berle founded the Friars Club of Beverly Hills at the old Savoy Hotel on Sunset Boulevard. Other founding members included 'Jimmy Durante' (qv), 'George Jessel (I)' (qv), 'Robert Taylor (I)' (qv), and 'Bing Crosby' (qv). The club, which moved to Beverly Hills in 1961, is a private show business club famous for its celebrity members and roasts, where a member is mocked by their club friends in good fun.