93 (passed away Mar. 27th, 2002)
Jul. 12th, 1908
New York City, New York, USA
5' 10 1/2"
Milton Berle's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project
1991 - Driving Me Crazy
1989 - Going Overboard
1985 - Pee-wee's Big Adventure
1984 - Broadway Danny Rose
1979 - The Muppet Movie
1975 - Lepke
1965 - The Loved One
1963 - It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
1961 - The Ladies Man
1960 - Let's Make Love
1960 - The Bellboy
1960 - The Bellboy
1941 - Sun Valley Serenade
1920 - The Mark of Zorro
1917 - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - in Commercial
Milton was educated at New York Professional Children's School, and began performing at age 5. His first stage appearance was in "Florodora"in Atlantic City. He appeared at the Palace Theatre in New York in 1931, then in night clubs and theatres. He appeared in the Broadway musicals "Saluta", "See My Lawyer", and "Ziegfeld Follies of 1943". His television debut was on experimental scanning-wheel television in Chicago in 1929. By 1934 he was on radio.
- He died the same day as 'Dudley Moore' (qv) and 'Billy Wilder' (qv).
- Adopted son, Bill, with 'Ruth Berle' (qv).
- Has written three books over the years: Two volumes of autobiography, "Milton Berle" and "B.S.: I Love You," and "The Best Of Milton Berle's Private Joke File," a compendium of many of the 1000+ jokes he's been collecting over almost 80 years in show business.
- Siblings: Phil (b. 1901), Francis (b. 1904), Jack (b. 1905), Rosalind (b. 1913) (all deceased)
- His mother, Sarah Berlinger (later called Sandra Berle), was often shown on camera as she sat in the audience for _"The Milton Berle Show" (1948)_ (qv).
- In 1962, NBC tried to develop a TV series around incidents in his life, but the series never got beyond the planning stage.
- In 1947, Berle founded the Friars Club of Beverly Hills at the old Savoy Hotel on Sunset Boulevard. Other founding members included 'Jimmy Durante' (qv), 'George Jessel (I)' (qv), 'Robert Taylor (I)' (qv), and 'Bing Crosby' (qv). The club, which moved to Beverly Hills in 1961, is a private show business club famous for its celebrity members and roasts, where a member is mocked by their club friends in good fun.
- Always opened his show by making an entrance in a different costume each week.