Aug. 14th, 1983
Mila Kunis' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Milena Markovna "Mila" Kunis (born August 14, 1983) is an American actress and voice artist.
Born in Chernivtsi, in the Ukrainian SSR (now Ukraine). Her mother, Elvira, is a physics teacher who runs a pharmacy, and her father, Mark Kunis, is a mechanical engineer who works as a cab driver. Kunis has a brother, Michael, who is six years older. She stated in 2011 that her parents had "amazing jobs", and that the family was "very lucky" and "not poor"; they had decided to leave the USSR because they saw "no future" there for Kunis and her brother. In 1991, when she was seven years old, her family moved to Los Angeles, California with $250. "That was all we were allowed to take with us. My parents had given up good jobs and degrees, which were not transferable. We arrived in New York on a Wednesday and by Friday morning my brother and I were at school in LA."
On her second day in Los Angeles, Kunis was enrolled at Rosewood Elementary School, not knowing a word of English. She later recalled: "I blocked out second grade completely. I have no recollection of it. I always talk to my mom and my grandma about it. It was because I cried every day. I didn't understand the culture. I didn't understand the people. I didn't understand the language. My first sentence of my essay to get into college was like, 'Imagine being blind and deaf at age seven.' And that's kind of what it felt like moving to the States".
After being enrolled in acting classes as an after-school activity, she was soon discovered by an agent. She appeared in several television series and commercials, before acquiring her first significant role prior to her 15th birthday, playing Jackie Burkhart on the television series That '70s Show. A year later, she was cast as the voice of Meg Griffin on the animated series Family Guy.
Her breakout film role came in 2008, playing Rachel Jansen in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Subsequent film roles included Mona Sax in Max Payne, Solara in The Book of Eli, Jamie in Friends with Benefits, Lori in the comedy Ted, and Theodora in Oz the Great and Powerful. Her performance as Lily in Black Swan gained her worldwide accolades, including receiving the Premio Marcello Mastroianni for Best Young Actor or Actress at the 67th Venice International Film Festival, and nominations for a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role.
Kunis is Jewish and has cited antisemitism in the former Soviet Union as one of several reasons for her family's move to the United States. She has stated that her parents "raised her Jewish as much as they could," although religion was suppressed in the Soviet Union.
In January 2011, she revealed her struggle with an eye condition called chronic iritis that had caused blindness in one eye. However, a couple of months earlier she had surgery that corrected the problem. Kunis also has the condition heterochromia iridum, where the irises have different colors. One eye (left) is brown, and the other (right) is green.
Kunis began dating actor 'Macaulay Culkin' in 2002. During their relationship, there were rumors of the couple getting married, but Kunis denied them. In an interview with BlackBook magazine, Kunis stated that marriage is "not something that's important to me". Kunis said she tried her best to protect her and Culkin's privacy, noting that "We don't talk about it to the press. It's already more high profile than I want it to be". When asked if it was difficult to stay out of the tabloids and press, Kunis responded: "I keep my personal life as personal as I physically, mentally, possibly can." Asked if that is difficult she said, "I don't care. I will go to my grave trying. It is hard, but I'll end up going to a bar that's a hole in the wall. I won't go to the 'it's-happening' place". On January 3, 2011, Kunis' publicist confirmed reports that Kunis and Culkin had ended their relationship, saying "The split was amicable, and they remain close friends". Rumors of Kunis dating her former That '70s Show co-star 'Ashton Kutcher' were appearing since April 2012. Kutcher confirmed the relationship in March 2013.
- Ranked #81 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2008 list.
- Mila and her family moved from Ukraine to LA when she was 7. Her father, Mark, is a mechanical engineer. Her mother, Elvira, is a physics teacher. Brother Mike is a biochemist.
- Auditioned for _"That '70s Show" (1998)_ (qv) at age 14. Though actors had to be at least 18 to get the part, she truthfully claimed she would be 18 on her birthday, not specifying which birthday, and won the role.
- Met her manager at the Beverly Hills Studios (an after-school acting class). Her father enrolled her there when she was nine.
- At age nine, Mila started to take after-school acting classes at the Beverly Hills Studio. At one of the Studio's public showcases, Mila was approached by entertainment manager 'Susan Curtis (III)' (qv), who offered to take her on.
- Ranked #54 in Stuff magazine's "102 Sexiest Women In The World" (2002).
- She is a fan of hard rock/metal band 'Aerosmith' (qv).
- Mila's best friend was Maria Osadchy when she was younger, an Aries whom she met in 2nd grade. Maria is Russian and helped Mila learn English. In an interview, Mila had Maria with her and talked about how they spent the night together on the weekends.