Feb. 6th, 1939
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Mike Farrell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1968 - Targets
1967 - The Graduate
1963 - Captain Newman, M.D.
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Mike is one of four children. His father, Joe, who died in 1956, was a carpenter at Hollywood studios. Mike attended grammar school with Natalie Wood (I) and Ricky Nelson (I). He entered the marines in the 1950's for two years. Later, he attended the University of California at Los Angeles and studied acting at the Jeff Corey (I) Workshop. He started getting big parts in movies, which led to a regular role on "Days of Our Lives" (1965) and, ultimately, to "M*A*S*H" (1972). When "M*A*S*H" (1972) went off the air, he resisted series TV for many years until he was offered "Providence" (1999). In the meantime, he formed his own production company, which made the Robin Williams (I) vehicle, Patch Adams (1998), based on Mike's own acquaintance with the doctor. Mike is very politically involved. He lobbied against the firing of gay teachers. He was outspoken about the US involvement in Ecuador in the 80s. He served as a member of California's Commission on Judicial Performance from February 2, 1998 to February 28, 2001.
- Spokesperson for CONCERN/America; co-chair of Human Rights Watch in California; board president of Death Penalty Focus; member of the California State Commission on Judicial Performance
- It was 'Alan Alda' (qv)'s idea for him to grow a mustache in the seventh season, which he kept for the rest of the show's run.
- Febraury 2000 - his two children by screenwriter 'Judy Farrell' (qv) are 'Michael Farrell (I)' (qv) (29), a martial arts teacher, and 'Erin Farrell (I)' (qv) (26), who works in the Los Angeles office of 'Jesse Jackson (I)' (qv).
- Presides over Family Motion Pictures, an organisation which strives to promote films suitable for family viewing.
- Provided voice of Jonathan Kent on the animated _"Superman" (1996)_ (qv) series with real life wife 'Shelley Fabares' (qv) providing the voice of Martha Kent.
- Elected first Vice-President of the Screen Actor's Guild in 2002 and served for three years.
- Attended West Hollywood Grammar School with 'Natalie Wood (I)' (qv) and 'Ricky Nelson (I)' (qv). Graduated from Hollywood High School.
- Served in the U. S. Marines