Feb. 6th, 1939
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Mike Farrell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1968 - Targets
1967 - The Graduate
1963 - Captain Newman, M.D.
Guest TV Roles
Judge David Bennett
Jack (segment "Love and the Hot Spell")
Mike is one of four children. His father, Joe, who died in 1956, was a carpenter at Hollywood studios. Mike attended grammar school with Natalie Wood (I) and Ricky Nelson (I). He entered the marines in the 1950's for two years. Later, he attended the University of California at Los Angeles and studied acting at the Jeff Corey (I) Workshop. He started getting big parts in movies, which led to a regular role on "Days of Our Lives" (1965) and, ultimately, to "M*A*S*H" (1972). When "M*A*S*H" (1972) went off the air, he resisted series TV for many years until he was offered "Providence" (1999). In the meantime, he formed his own production company, which made the Robin Williams (I) vehicle, Patch Adams (1998), based on Mike's own acquaintance with the doctor. Mike is very politically involved. He lobbied against the firing of gay teachers. He was outspoken about the US involvement in Ecuador in the 80s. He served as a member of California's Commission on Judicial Performance from February 2, 1998 to February 28, 2001.
- Named Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Elected first Vice-President of the Screen Actor's Guild in 2002 and served for three years.
- Presides over Family Motion Pictures, an organisation which strives to promote films suitable for family viewing.
- Provided voice of Jonathan Kent on the animated _"Superman" (1996)_ (qv) series with real life wife 'Shelley Fabares' (qv) providing the voice of Martha Kent.
- Tried to talk 'Gary Burghoff' (qv) out of leaving _"M*A*S*H" (1972)_ (qv), citing the lackluster careers of 'McLean Stevenson' (qv) and 'Larry Linville' (qv) after their departures, but to no avail.
- It was 'Alan Alda' (qv)'s idea for him to grow a mustache in the seventh season, which he kept for the rest of the show's run.
- Attended West Hollywood Grammar School with 'Natalie Wood (I)' (qv) and 'Ricky Nelson (I)' (qv). Graduated from Hollywood High School.
- Best remembered by the public for his role as "Captain B.J. Hunnicutt" on the television series _"M*A*S*H" (1972)_ (qv).