Jul. 12th, 1978
Bexar County, Texas, USA
Michelle Rodriguez's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Battle: Los Angeles
2010 - Machete
2009 - Avatar
2009 - Fast & Furious
2008 - Gardens of the Night
2007 - Battle in Seattle
2006 - The Breed
2004 - Control
2003 - S.W.A.T.
2002 - Blue Crush
2002 - Resident Evil
2001 - The Fast and the Furious
2000 - Girlfight
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Host
Known for tough-chick roles, Michelle Rodriguez is proof that there is a cross between beauty and brawn. Born in Bexar County, Texas on July 12, 1978, Rodriguez always knew she was destined to become a star, she just didn't know how to get there. Rodriguez lived in Texas until the age of 8 when her family moved to the Dominican Republic where she lived for two years before moving to Puerto Rico. At 11, Rodriguez's family relocated for the last time to Jersey City, New Jersey.
Although she has been working since 1999 as an extra in such films as Summer of Sam (1999) and Cradle Will Rock (1999), it only took a magazine ad announcing an open casting call in New York for Rodriguez to decide to finally step into the spotlight. The role was the female lead, the movie was Girlfight (2000). Despite the lack of experience in film and boxing, Rodriguez auditioned, along with another 350 girls.
After various trials inside an actual boxing ring and five arduous months of training in Brooklyn's Gleason's Gym, she was finally chosen to portray the role of Diana Guzman. As soon as the independent film began making the rounds at various film festivals, Rodriguez began gaining critical acclaim for her performance earning her awards like the Deaxville Festival of American Cinema award for Best Actress and the Las Vegas Film Critics Society for Female Breakthrough Performance. As Girlfight (2000) continued to gain notoriety with its September 200 release, Rodriguez was already hard at work with films like 3 A.M. (2001), the blockbuster hit The Fast and the Furious (2001), and Resident Evil (2002). With Hollywood calling her name, the future for this feisty Jersey girl is as strong as the punches she throws.
- Ranked #34 in Maxim's "100 Sexiest Women" (2002).
- Is an avid in-line skater.
- Has two older twin brothers named Raul and Omar.
- When interviewed to join the cast of _"Lost" (2004)_ (qv) as a tough LAPD cop, she insisted that she would only sign on for one year because she is a "nomadic spirit". The producers came up with a story line and sold the idea of the short contract to the network.
- She beat out 350 other girls for the role of Diana Guzman in _Girlfight (2000)_ (qv).
- Didn't have a driver's license before filming _The Fast and the Furious (2001)_ (qv) and had to obtain one during her training for the car chase sequences.
- Has two half-sisters on her father's side.
- Has Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).