Jun. 4th, 1944
Long Beach, California, USA
Michelle Phillips' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - Kids in America
1991 - Scissors
1989 - Let It Ride
1981 - Savage Harvest
1980 - The Man With Bogart's Face
1979 - Bloodline
1975 - Shampoo
1973 - Dillinger
1968 - Monterey Pop
Guest TV Roles
Elizabeth Bradshaw Cabot
Officer Cassandra Hunt
Michelle Phillips first became known as a member of the pop group, The Mamas and the Papas. She sang the Mamas and Papas song, "Dedicated To The One I Love" on a March, 1987, episode of "Knots Landing" (1979) in her role as "Anne Matheson". She is the mother of singer Chynna Phillips and ex-stepmother of actress Mackenzie Phillips.
- Sang at 'Denny Doherty' (qv)'s funeral, whose death made her the only surviving member of 'The Mamas and the Papas' (qv) (2007).
- The wildly popular 'The Mamas and the Papas' (qv) '60s pop/folk group ("Monday, Monday" and "California Dreamin'" were their biggest hits) was comprised of Michelle and her husband at the time, 'John Phillips (II)' (qv), along with ''Mama' Cass Elliot' (qv) and 'Denny Doherty' (qv). Michelle was temporarily kicked out of the group (replaced by Jill Gibson) after it was discovered she was having an affair with the other "Papa" (Doherty), who Cass had a crush on. The fans, however, missed her and she was soon brought back, but the damage had been done and the group wasted no time in splitting up.
- Born to Joyce Leon, née Poole, an accountant, and Gardner Burnett Gilliam, a merchant marine.
- Grandmother of Jamison Baldwin.
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 (as a member of 'The Mamas and the Papas' (qv)).
- Former stepmother of actress 'Mackenzie Phillips' (qv).
- Grew up partly in Mexico City where her father attended college on the GI Bill.
- Ranked #23 on VH1's 100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll