Apr. 23rd, 1954
Flint, Michigan, USA
5' 11 1/2
Michael Moore's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Capitalism: A Love Story
2007 - Manufacturing Dissent
2007 - Sicko
2004 - Michael Moore Hates America
2003 - The Corporation
2003 - The Yes Men
2002 - Bowling for Columbine
2000 - Lucky Numbers
1999 - EDtv
1995 - Canadian Bacon
1989 - Roger & Me
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Director (segment "Michael Moore")
Himself - Guest
Michael Moore was born in Flint, Michigan April 23, 1954. He studied journalism at the University of Michigan-Flint, and also pursued other hobbies such as gun shooting, for which he even won a competition. Michael began his journalistic career writing for the school newspaper "The Michigan Times," and after dropping out of college briefly worked as editor for "Mother Jones."
He then turned to filmmaking, and to earn the money for the budget of his first film Roger & Me (1989) he ran neighborhood bingo games. The success of this film launched his career as one of America's best-known and most controversial documentarians. He has produced a string of documentary films and TV series predominantly about the same subject: attacks on corrupt politicians and greedy business corporations. He landed his first big hit with Bowling for Columbine (2002) about the bad points of the right to bear arms in America, which earned him an Oscar and a big reputation. He then shook the world with his even bigger hit Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004), making fun of President George W. Bush. This is the highest-grossing documentary of all time. Michael is known for having the guts to give his opinion in public, which not many people are courageous enough to do, and for that is respected by many.
- 2007 - Ranked #27 on EW's The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood.
- Attended the University of Michigan-Flint in the 1970s.
- (May 2004) His movie _Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)_ (qv) was shown at the Cannes Film festival, making it the most sought-after movie there.
- Another of his favorite films is also his favorite documentary, _Hearts and Minds (1974)_ (qv).
- Elected to Davison, Michigan board of education at age 18; this is described and elaborated upon in chapter 5 "Idiot Nation" in his book "Stupid White Men."
- His favourite films are _Smultronstället (1957)_ (qv) and _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv).
- Lives in New York City.