50 (passed away Jun. 25th, 2009)
Aug. 29th, 1958
Gary, Indiana, USA
Michael Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - This is It
2008 - Religulous
2004 - Miss Cast Away
2002 - Men In Black II
1994 - 71 Fragmente einer Chronologie des Zufalls
1992 - Peter's Friends
1988 - Moonwalker
1986 - Captain EO
1985 - That's Dancing!
1978 - The Wiz
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Singer (segment "Michael Jackson")
Michael Jackson (Voiced)
American superstar Michael Jackson was born in Gary, Indiana, on August 29, 1958, and entertained audiences nearly his entire life. His father, Joe Jackson (III), had been a guitarist but was forced to give up his musical ambitions following his marriage to Katherine (Scruse). Together they prodded their growing family's musical interests at home. By the early 1960s, the older boys Jackie, Tito and Jermaine had begun performing around the city; by 1964, Michael and Marlon had joined in.
A musical prodigy, Michael's singing and dancing talents were amazingly mature, and he soon became the dominant voice and focus of The Jackson 5. An opening act for such soul groups as the O-Jays and James Brown (I), it was Gladys Knight (not Diana Ross (I)) who officially brought the group to Berry Gordy's attention, and by 1969, the boys were producing back-to-back chart-busting hits as Motown artists ("I Want You Back," "ABC," "Never Can Say Goodbye," "Got to Be There," etc.). As a product of the 1970s, the boys emerged as one of the most accomplished black pop/soul vocal groups in music history, successfully evolving from a group like The Temptations to a disco phenomenon.
Solo success for Michael was inevitable, and by the 1980s, he had become infinitely more popular than his brotherly group. Record sales consistently orbited, culminating in the biggest-selling album of all time, "Thriller" in 1982. A TV natural, he ventured rather uneasily into films, such as playing the Scarecrow in The Wiz (1978), but had much better luck with elaborate music videos.
In the 1990s, the downside as an 1980s pop phenomenon began to rear itself. Michael grew terribly child-like and introverted by his peerless celebrity. A rather timorous, androgynous figure to begin with, his physical appearance began to change drastically, and his behavior grew alarmingly bizarre, making him a consistent target for scandal-making, despite his numerous charitable acts. Two brief marriages -- one to Elvis Presley's daughter Lisa Marie Presley -- were forged and two children produced by his second wife during that time, but the purposes behind them appeared image-oriented. Despite it all, Michael Jackson's passion and artistry as a singer, dancer, writer and businessman are unparalleled, and it is these prodigious talents that will ultimately prevail over the extremely negative aspects of his seriously troubled adult life.
For it all to end on June 25, 2009, with his sudden death at age 50 of a drug-induced cardiac arrest, just as he was coming out of a four-year reclusive period and rehearsing for a sold-out London concert "comeback" in July, seems uncommonly cruel and tragic. Millions upon millions of dedicated fans will remember where they were "the day Michael died".
- Two months after his death, just before what would be his 51st birthday, and the day of his burial, his Number Ones album surpassed Taylor Swift's highly successful album Fearless as the best selling album of 2009 at that point.
- Announced his intention to record a charity single dedicated to the victims of Hurricane Katrina entitled, "I Have This Dream". 'Ciara (I)' (qv), 'Snoop Dogg' (qv), 'R. Kelly' (qv), 'Keyshia Cole' (qv), 'James Ingram (I)' (qv), Michael Jackson's brother 'Jermaine Jackson (I)' (qv), 'Shanice (I)' (qv), the 'Shirley Caesar' (qv) and 'The O'Jays' (qv) all supposedly lent their voices to the charity song. At the time, Jackson's spokesperson, Raymone K. Bain, said the list of performers included 'Mary J. Blige' (qv), 'Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliott', 'Jay-Z' (qv), 'James Brown (I)' (qv) and 'Lenny Kravitz' (qv). All of these artists later appeared to be no longer participating. More than a year later, the Katrina Charity Single remains unreleased. (13 September 2005)
- He died on the same day as 'Farrah Fawcett' (qv). Both were in California at the time. She died at 9:28 a.m PDT, he was pronounced dead at 2:26 p.m. after hours of unsuccessful resuscitation.
- 'Tatum O'Neal' (qv), was Jackson's first girlfriend and allegedly his first real love.
- Made an out-of-court settlement with the family of 13-year-old 'Jordie Chandler' (qv) for an estimated $25 million in January 1994 following allegations of sexual abuse against children.
- Received a Presidential Humanitarian Award from President 'Ronald Reagan (I)' (qv) at the White House in May 1984, in recognition of Jackson's contribution to the government's campaign against drunk driving. "Beat It" was used in television advertisements.
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001 (as a solo artist).
- The Staples Center Michael Jackson memorial service non-performing VIP attendees included 'Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs' (qv), 'Larry King (I)' (qv), 'Barbara Walters' (qv), 'Jaleel White' (qv), 'Kimberly 'Lil' Kim' Jones' (qv), 'Spike Lee' (qv), 'Don King (I)' (qv), 'Vicki Roberts (II)' (qv), 'Nicole Richie' (qv), 'Dionne Warwick' (qv), 'Kimberly Kardashian' (qv), and 'Kris Jenner' (qv).