50 (passed away Jun. 25th, 2009)
Aug. 29th, 1958
Gary, Indiana, USA
Michael Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - The Man Behind the Throne
2013 - 20 Feet from Stardom
2008 - Religulous
2004 - Miss Cast Away
1994 - 71 Fragmente einer Chronologie des Zufalls
1988 - Moonwalker
1988 - Moonwalker
1986 - Captain EO
1978 - The Wiz
Guest TV Roles[none found]
American superstar Michael Jackson (born August 29, 1958) in Gary, Indiana, and entertained audiences nearly his entire life. His father, 'Joe Jackson III', had been a guitarist but was forced to give up his musical ambitions following his marriage to Katherine (Scruse). Together they prodded their growing family's musical interests at home. By the early 1960s, the older boys Jackie, Tito and Jermaine had begun performing around the city; by 1964, Michael and Marlon had joined in.
A musical prodigy, Michael's singing and dancing talents were amazingly mature, and he soon became the dominant voice and focus of The 'Jackson 5'. An opening act for such soul groups as the O-Jays and 'James Brown, it was 'Gladys Knight' (not 'Diana Ross') who officially brought the group to Berry Gordy's attention, and by 1969, the boys were producing back-to-back chart-busting hits as Motown artists ("I Want You Back," "ABC," "Never Can Say Goodbye," "Got to Be There," etc.). As a product of the 1970s, the boys emerged as one of the most accomplished black pop/soul vocal groups in music history, successfully evolving from a group like 'The Temptations' to a disco phenomenon.
Solo success for Michael was inevitable, and by the 1980s, he had become infinitely more popular than his brotherly group. Record sales consistently orbited, culminating in the biggest-selling album of all time, "Thriller" in 1982. A TV natural, he ventured rather uneasily into films, such as playing the Scarecrow in _The Wiz (1978), but had much better luck with elaborate music videos.
In the 1990s, the downside as an 1980s pop phenomenon began to rear itself. Michael grew terribly child-like and introverted by his peerless celebrity. A rather timorous, androgynous figure to begin with, his physical appearance began to change drastically, and his behavior grew alarmingly bizarre, making him a consistent target for scandal-making, despite his numerous charitable acts. Two brief marriages -- one to Elvis Presley's daughter 'Lisa Marie Presley' -- were forged and two children produced by his second wife during that time, but the purposes behind them appeared image-oriented. Despite it all, Michael Jackson's passion and artistry as a singer, dancer, writer and businessman are unparalleled, and it is these prodigious talents that will ultimately prevail over the extremely negative aspects of his seriously troubled adult life.
For it all to end on June 25, 2009, with his sudden death at age 50 of a drug-induced cardiac arrest, just as he was coming out of a four-year reclusive period and rehearsing for a sold-out London concert "comeback" in July, seems uncommonly cruel and tragic. Millions upon millions of dedicated fans will remember where they were "the day Michael died".
- California state authorities ordered Jackson to close the Neverland Ranch and fined him more than $100,000 for failing to pay the staff there or maintain proper insurance. (March 2006).
- Starting with _Black or White (1991) (V)_ (qv), Jackson and his record company refer to his music videos, before or since, as "short films," never "videos".
- (3 April 1998) Second child, with 'Debbie Rowe' (qv), daughter Paris Michael Katherine Patricia Jackson, is born.
- Former son-in-law of 'Elvis Presley' (qv) and 'Priscilla Presley' (qv).
- Claims to have given $300 million to charity, more than any other celebrity apart from 'Oprah Winfrey' (qv).
- Wrote and recorded a song called "On the Line", produced by 'Kenneth 'Babyface' Edmonds' (qv), for the film _Get on the Bus (1996)_ (qv) that was not included on the soundtrack for the film.
- It is estimated that 'Michael Jackson (I)' (qv)'s earnings in the six months following his death on June 25 2009 will top the entire $149 million (£90 million) made by 'Jimi Hendrix' (qv) since he passed away in 1970.
- The name of his 2700-acre ranch near Santa Ynez, California, is Neverland Valley Ranch. It contains Jackson's house, an amusement park co-designed by 'Macaulay Culkin' (qv), a private theater and dance stage, and exotic animals.