50 (passed away Jun. 25th, 2009)
Aug. 29th, 1958
Gary, Indiana, USA
Michael Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Religulous
2004 - Miss Cast Away
1994 - 71 Fragmente einer Chronologie des Zufalls
1992 - Peter's Friends
1988 - Moonwalker
1988 - Moonwalker
1986 - Captain EO
1985 - That's Dancing!
1978 - The Wiz
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Singer
Leon Kompowsky (Voiced)
American superstar Michael Jackson (born August 29, 1958) in Gary, Indiana, and entertained audiences nearly his entire life. His father, 'Joe Jackson III', had been a guitarist but was forced to give up his musical ambitions following his marriage to Katherine (Scruse). Together they prodded their growing family's musical interests at home. By the early 1960s, the older boys Jackie, Tito and Jermaine had begun performing around the city; by 1964, Michael and Marlon had joined in.
A musical prodigy, Michael's singing and dancing talents were amazingly mature, and he soon became the dominant voice and focus of The 'Jackson 5'. An opening act for such soul groups as the O-Jays and 'James Brown, it was 'Gladys Knight' (not 'Diana Ross') who officially brought the group to Berry Gordy's attention, and by 1969, the boys were producing back-to-back chart-busting hits as Motown artists ("I Want You Back," "ABC," "Never Can Say Goodbye," "Got to Be There," etc.). As a product of the 1970s, the boys emerged as one of the most accomplished black pop/soul vocal groups in music history, successfully evolving from a group like 'The Temptations' to a disco phenomenon.
Solo success for Michael was inevitable, and by the 1980s, he had become infinitely more popular than his brotherly group. Record sales consistently orbited, culminating in the biggest-selling album of all time, "Thriller" in 1982. A TV natural, he ventured rather uneasily into films, such as playing the Scarecrow in _The Wiz (1978), but had much better luck with elaborate music videos.
In the 1990s, the downside as an 1980s pop phenomenon began to rear itself. Michael grew terribly child-like and introverted by his peerless celebrity. A rather timorous, androgynous figure to begin with, his physical appearance began to change drastically, and his behavior grew alarmingly bizarre, making him a consistent target for scandal-making, despite his numerous charitable acts. Two brief marriages -- one to Elvis Presley's daughter 'Lisa Marie Presley' -- were forged and two children produced by his second wife during that time, but the purposes behind them appeared image-oriented. Despite it all, Michael Jackson's passion and artistry as a singer, dancer, writer and businessman are unparalleled, and it is these prodigious talents that will ultimately prevail over the extremely negative aspects of his seriously troubled adult life.
For it all to end on June 25, 2009, with his sudden death at age 50 of a drug-induced cardiac arrest, just as he was coming out of a four-year reclusive period and rehearsing for a sold-out London concert "comeback" in July, seems uncommonly cruel and tragic. Millions upon millions of dedicated fans will remember where they were "the day Michael died".
- Is a fan of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- Two months after his death, just before what would be his 51st birthday, and the day of his burial, his Number Ones album surpassed Taylor Swift's highly successful album Fearless as the best selling album of 2009 at that point.
- His gold coffin seen at his memorial is a rare design called the Promethean. It cost $25,000 and is made of solid bronze but is 14-carat gold-plated with a hand-polished mirror finish and lined with velvet. It is identical to the coffin used to bury 'James Brown (I)' (qv) in 2006 - which may have inspired Jackson after he saw it when Brown lay in state.
- Paid $1.5 million in 1999 for the Best Picture Oscar awarded to 'David O. Selznick' (qv) for _Gone with the Wind (1939)_ (qv).
- In 1997 a survey declared Jackson the most famous person in the world, ahead of 'Pope John Paul II' (qv) and then US President 'Bill Clinton (I)' (qv).
- Copied his moon walk after mime 'Marcel Marceau (I)' (qv) in "walk-against-the- wind" pantomime techniques.
- (3 April 1998) Second child, with 'Debbie Rowe' (qv), daughter Paris Michael Katherine Patricia Jackson, is born.
- Starting with _Black or White (1991) (V)_ (qv), Jackson and his record company refer to his music videos, before or since, as "short films," never "videos".