50 (passed away Jun. 25th, 2009)
Aug. 29th, 1958
Gary, Indiana, USA
Michael Jackson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - This is It
2008 - Religulous
2004 - Miss Cast Away
2002 - Men In Black II
1994 - 71 Fragmente einer Chronologie des Zufalls
1992 - Peter's Friends
1988 - Moonwalker
1986 - Captain EO
1985 - That's Dancing!
1978 - The Wiz
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Singer (segment "Michael Jackson")
Michael Jackson (Voiced)
American superstar Michael Jackson was born in Gary, Indiana, on August 29, 1958, and entertained audiences nearly his entire life. His father, Joe Jackson (III), had been a guitarist but was forced to give up his musical ambitions following his marriage to Katherine (Scruse). Together they prodded their growing family's musical interests at home. By the early 1960s, the older boys Jackie, Tito and Jermaine had begun performing around the city; by 1964, Michael and Marlon had joined in.
A musical prodigy, Michael's singing and dancing talents were amazingly mature, and he soon became the dominant voice and focus of The Jackson 5. An opening act for such soul groups as the O-Jays and James Brown (I), it was Gladys Knight (not Diana Ross (I)) who officially brought the group to Berry Gordy's attention, and by 1969, the boys were producing back-to-back chart-busting hits as Motown artists ("I Want You Back," "ABC," "Never Can Say Goodbye," "Got to Be There," etc.). As a product of the 1970s, the boys emerged as one of the most accomplished black pop/soul vocal groups in music history, successfully evolving from a group like The Temptations to a disco phenomenon.
Solo success for Michael was inevitable, and by the 1980s, he had become infinitely more popular than his brotherly group. Record sales consistently orbited, culminating in the biggest-selling album of all time, "Thriller" in 1982. A TV natural, he ventured rather uneasily into films, such as playing the Scarecrow in The Wiz (1978), but had much better luck with elaborate music videos.
In the 1990s, the downside as an 1980s pop phenomenon began to rear itself. Michael grew terribly child-like and introverted by his peerless celebrity. A rather timorous, androgynous figure to begin with, his physical appearance began to change drastically, and his behavior grew alarmingly bizarre, making him a consistent target for scandal-making, despite his numerous charitable acts. Two brief marriages -- one to Elvis Presley's daughter Lisa Marie Presley -- were forged and two children produced by his second wife during that time, but the purposes behind them appeared image-oriented. Despite it all, Michael Jackson's passion and artistry as a singer, dancer, writer and businessman are unparalleled, and it is these prodigious talents that will ultimately prevail over the extremely negative aspects of his seriously troubled adult life.
For it all to end on June 25, 2009, with his sudden death at age 50 of a drug-induced cardiac arrest, just as he was coming out of a four-year reclusive period and rehearsing for a sold-out London concert "comeback" in July, seems uncommonly cruel and tragic. Millions upon millions of dedicated fans will remember where they were "the day Michael died".
- He was (along with 'Tito Jackson' (qv)) co-best man at 'Liza Minnelli' (qv)'s and 'David Gest' (qv)'s wedding.
- His 1991 album "Dangerous" is second to "Thriller" as the biggest selling album of all time, with over 20 million copies sold worldwide.
- Did not tour America after the BAD tour in 1987.
- Made an out-of-court settlement with the family of 13-year-old 'Jordie Chandler' (qv) for an estimated $25 million in January 1994 following allegations of sexual abuse against children.
- In 1997 a survey declared Jackson the most famous person in the world, ahead of 'Pope John Paul II' (qv) and then US President 'Bill Clinton (I)' (qv).
- Celebrities provided varied comments after Jackson's sudden death. 'Madonna' (qv) and 'Diana Ross (I)' (qv) released statements saying they could not stop crying. Jackson's former wife, 'Lisa Marie Presley' (qv), said the singer had told her he was afraid he would end up like 'Elvis Presley' (qv), her father. 'Elizabeth Taylor (I)' (qv), a long-time friend, said she, "can't imagine life without him." 'Liza Minnelli' (qv) told CBS, "When the autopsy comes, all hell's going to break loose, so thank God we're celebrating him now." 'Jamie Foxx' (qv), stated: "We want to celebrate this black man. He belongs to us and we shared him with everybody else.".
- His estate contains a child's mini coaster, Zipper, Bumper cars, Merry go round, octopus, Giant slide and rocking dragon.. There is also a full size basketball court, water wars section (for water gun fights) 2 Trains, (one steam train) and a zoo where he has various exotic animals including elephants, giraffes, alligators, a tiger and even an Anaconda.
- At his peak, Jackson was reportedly worth around $1 Billion.