Jun. 9th, 1961
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Michael J. Fox, (born Michael Andrew Fox; June 9, 1961) is a Canadian American actor, author, producer, activist and voice-over artist. With a film and television career spanning from the late 1970s, Fox's roles have included Marty McFly from the Back to the Future trilogy (1985–1990); Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties (1982–1989) for which he won three Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe Award; Mike Flaherty from Spin City (1996–2000), for which he won an Emmy, three Golden Globes, and two Screen Actors Guild Awards; and Private Max Eriksson in the Brian DePalma film Casualties of War. Fox's middle initial "J" does not stand for anything. His birth name is Michael Andrew Fox but when he registered for the Screen Actors Guild, the name "Michael Fox" was already taken. Fox said he did not want to register "Michael A. Fox" because it presented a play on words, and that he was paying homage to actor Michael J. Pollard. Born Michael Andrew Fox in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Moving several times during the course of his childhood, Michael and his family settled in Burnaby, a suburb of Vancouver. At the age of 15 he made his professional acting debut in the situation comedy Leo and Me (1981). Moving to Los Angeles at the age of 18, Fox appeared in several small parts and a television series, Palmerstown, U.S.A. (1980), before landing the role that would bring him to prominence in Family Ties (1982). Some of his other films include Bright Lights, Big City (1988), The Hard Way (1991), Light of Day (1987), Doc Hollywood (1991) and the three Back to the Future films.
- Received his first guitar for christmas when he was 8. He taught himself how to play.
- His quote "Pain is temporary, film is forever" is from the movie _Three O'Clock High (1987)_ (qv).
- Shares a birthday with 'Johnny Depp' (qv) and 'Natalie Portman' (qv).
- Received an honorary doctor of laws degree on May 22nd 2008 from the University of British Columbia.
- (2008) He and his wife paid $6,300,000 for a newly built, six-bedroom house in Quogue, New York.
- Received an honorary star on the 10th Annual Canadian Walk of Fame. [September 2008].
- Has four children with 'Tracy Pollan' (qv); 'Sam Michael Fox' (qv) (born May 30, 1989), twins Aquinnah Kathleen Fox and Schuyler Frances Fox (born February 15, 1995) and Esme Annabelle Fox (born November 3, 2001).
- Is a vegetarian.