Jun. 9th, 1961
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Michael J. Fox's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Michael J. Fox, (born Michael Andrew Fox; June 9, 1961) is a Canadian American actor, author, producer, activist and voice-over artist. With a film and television career spanning from the late 1970s, Fox's roles have included Marty McFly from the Back to the Future trilogy (1985–1990); Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties (1982–1989) for which he won three Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe Award; Mike Flaherty from Spin City (1996–2000), for which he won an Emmy, three Golden Globes, and two Screen Actors Guild Awards; and Private Max Eriksson in the Brian DePalma film Casualties of War. Fox's middle initial "J" does not stand for anything. His birth name is Michael Andrew Fox but when he registered for the Screen Actors Guild, the name "Michael Fox" was already taken. Fox said he did not want to register "Michael A. Fox" because it presented a play on words, and that he was paying homage to actor Michael J. Pollard. Born Michael Andrew Fox in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Moving several times during the course of his childhood, Michael and his family settled in Burnaby, a suburb of Vancouver. At the age of 15 he made his professional acting debut in the situation comedy Leo and Me (1981). Moving to Los Angeles at the age of 18, Fox appeared in several small parts and a television series, Palmerstown, U.S.A. (1980), before landing the role that would bring him to prominence in Family Ties (1982). Some of his other films include Bright Lights, Big City (1988), The Hard Way (1991), Light of Day (1987), Doc Hollywood (1991) and the three Back to the Future films.
- Received his Hollywood Walk Of Fame Star on December 16th 2002.
- Longtime friend of 'Denis Leary' (qv). They both share a love of hockey.
- Once lived in Montreal, Quebec.
- He was on Planet Hollywood's Wall Of Fame.
- Received an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from New York University [May 2008].
- Due to his suffering from Parkinson's Disease, during his run on _"Spin City" (1996)_ (qv), he often hid his left hand in his pocket.
- Brother-in-law of 'Michael Pollan' (qv).
- Received his first guitar for christmas when he was 8. He taught himself how to play.