Mar. 26th, 1966
Mount Vernon, New York, USA
Michael Imperioli's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Cantinflas
2009 - The Lovely Bones
2007 - The Inner Life of Martin Frost
2004 - Shark Tale
2004 - My Baby's Daddy
1999 - Summer of Sam
1996 - Trees Lounge
1996 - I Shot Andy Warhol
1996 - Last Man Standing
1995 - Bad Boys
1995 - Clockers
1995 - Dead Presidents
1995 - The Basketball Diaries
1995 - The Addiction
1995 - Flirt
1993 - The Night We Never Met
1992 - Malcolm X
1991 - Jungle Fever
1990 - Goodfellas
1989 - Lean On Me
Guest TV Roles
Dante Jr. (Voiced)
Michael Imperioli was born in Mt. Vernon, New York, on March 26, 1966. His film work began in the late 1980s. An early part that brought him recognition was in Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas (1990), as Spider, a local kid who works for the gangsters and has a run-in with a psychopathic mob soldier played by Joe Pesci. He worked throughout the 1990s in the New York independent film industry, especially as a regular in Spike Lee's movies, appearing in Jungle Fever (1991), Malcolm X (1992), Clockers (1995), Girl 6 (1996) and Summer of Sam (1999), generally playing working-class Italian-Americans from the "outer boroughs." While rooted in the New York movie scene, Imperioli also worked in Hollywood in the mid-'90s, in the formulaic movies Bad Boys (1995) and Last Man Standing (1996/I).
In 1999 Imperioli was cast in "The Sopranos" (1999) as Christopher Moltisanti, a low-ranking soldier in the Soprano crime organization whose family connections to street boss Tony Soprano move him up the ladder in the organization. Imperioli's multi-layered portrayal of such an unappealing character is a real highlight of the series and earned him an Emmy and a SAG award.
Imperioli has long been active in the New York theater scene as well, having written, directed, produced or starred in numerous plays. He was a founder, along with Lili Taylor (I) (his then-girlfriend and co-star in Household Saints (1993)) of the downtown theater company Machine Full. He has also written several episodes of "The Sopranos" and was a writer on Lee's "Summer of Sam," which he also executive-produced.
Although most famous for his prominent part in "The Sopranos," Imperioli has worked on other television programs as well, including "Law & Order" (1990), "New York Undercover" (1994) and "NYPD Blue" (1993). He is married and has three children.
- Although he often portrays violent Mafia characters, and has appeared in other violent movies and TV shows, he claims to despise on-screen violence.
- Played 'Spider' who gets shot in the foot in _Goodfellas (1990)_ (qv) and he plays a mobster named Christopher in _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv) who shoots someone in the foot as an inside tribute to his earlier role.
- Graduated from Sacred Heart High School in Yonkers, New York
- Studied acting at New York City's Stella Adler Conservatory.
- Grew up in Mount Vernon, New York.
- Has a brother, John, who attended Mount Vernon High School.
- Was engaged to 'Lili Taylor (I)' (qv).