54 (passed away Sep. 3rd, 2012)
Dec. 10th, 1957
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Michael Clarke Duncan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Raised by his single mother on Chicago's South Side, Michael grew up resisting drugs and alcohol, instead concentrating on school. He wanted to play football in high school, but his mother wouldn't let him, fearing he would get hurt. He then turned to acting, dreaming of becoming a famous actor. After graduating from high school and attending community college, he worked digging ditches at Peoples Gas Company in Chicago. When he quit his job and headed to Hollywood, he landed small roles while working as a bodyguard. Michael's role in the movie Armageddon (1998/I) led to his breakthrough performance in The Green Mile (1999), when his Armageddon co-star Bruce Willis called director Frank Darabont, suggesting Michael for the part of convict John Coffey. He landed the role, receiving critical acclaim for his performance.
- Played basketball at Kankakee Community College. After college, spent several years digging ditches for the gas company in Chicago.
- Is a blue belt in Brazilian JuJutsu.
- Has five cats.
- Has appeared in 4 films with 'Bruce Willis' (qv) _Armageddon (1998/I)_ (qv), _Breakfast of Champions (1999)_ (qv), _The Whole Nine Yards (2000)_ (qv) and _Sin City (2005)_ (qv).
- Narrates the 2005 Major League Baseball World Series Film, featuring the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.
- Considered becoming a police officer with the LAPD, which was revealed during an interview on _"Live with Regis and Kathie Lee" (1989)_ (qv).
- His Daredevil character, Wilson Fisk/Kingpin, first appeared as an enemy of Spiderman until 'Frank Miller (II)' (qv) made him a major enemy of Daredevil. Duncan has played him opposite both characters, and as both a white man in the animated series _"Spider-Man" (2003)_ (qv) and a black man in _Daredevil (2003)_ (qv).
- For his role as the criminal mastermind behemoth Kingpin in _Daredevil (2003)_ (qv), Clarke put on 40 lbs. to his already largely built physique.