54 (passed away Sep. 3rd, 2012)
Dec. 10th, 1957
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Black Co-Worker (Voiced)
Commander Baker (Voiced)
Raised by his single mother on Chicago's South Side, Michael grew up resisting drugs and alcohol, instead concentrating on school. He wanted to play football in high school, but his mother wouldn't let him, fearing he would get hurt. He then turned to acting, dreaming of becoming a famous actor. After graduating from high school and attending community college, he worked digging ditches at Peoples Gas Company in Chicago. When he quit his job and headed to Hollywood, he landed small roles while working as a bodyguard. Michael's role in the movie Armageddon (1998/I) led to his breakthrough performance in The Green Mile (1999), when his Armageddon co-star Bruce Willis called director Frank Darabont, suggesting Michael for the part of convict John Coffey. He landed the role, receiving critical acclaim for his performance.
- Has appeared in 4 films with 'Bruce Willis' (qv) _Armageddon (1998/I)_ (qv), _Breakfast of Champions (1999)_ (qv), _The Whole Nine Yards (2000)_ (qv) and _Sin City (2005)_ (qv).
- Supposedly gives five dollars to anyone who recognizes him on the street and knows what his full name is.
- Attended Alcorn State University in Mississippi, but dropped out to support his family when his mother became ill. Has an older sister, Judith. Worked as a security guard for a theatre troupe.
- For his role as the criminal mastermind behemoth Kingpin in _Daredevil (2003)_ (qv), Clarke put on 40 lbs. to his already largely built physique.
- Has one chinchilla, "Chucky".
- While filming _The Scorpion King (2002)_ (qv), was accidentally hit by 'Dwayne Johnson (I)' (qv) during a fight sequence. He leaned in too far for a hit, and his chin connected with The Rock's elbow.
- Narrates the 2005 Major League Baseball World Series Film, featuring the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.
- Has five cats.